OT: MLB Thread XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Doesn't matter what owner we got, the Mets will always have Met things happen to them as Lugo out of the blue is out until early May with his elbow issue. This is a pretty big loss as Lugo is pretty much irreplaceable in the bullpen.

God forbid anything ever went, forget smoothly for the Mets, but even half way smoothly, none of us would know what too do with ourselves. Ahhh yes the trials and tribulations of being a Met fan for 50 years...ugh!!

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Looks like I got what I wanted for the Mets as they are signing Pillar too a one year contract....I like it alot!. Thanks for listening to me Sandy...lol.

I get he didn't have the greatest year with the glove last season but with the pandemic and shit, I don't put all that much stock in it all too much. The guy can play and he's arguably better than Nimmo and so I wouldn't be surprised if Pillar ends up the main guy in CF when all is said and done.

And like I also wanted and which I mentioned last week, they are in fact going hard to bring Trevor Rosenthall over to Met land especially with no Lugo for awhile.

Now that we got Pillar, get Rosenthall in here and sign Odorizzi, call it a day and let's get this train rolling. Let's do this Uncle Stevie!.

Last edited:

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Some 2020 Pillar highlights. Obviously they are "highlights" but he definitely can help this team quite a bit. Very glad we signed him.

Also I checked out some Albert Amora highlights and like what I see there as well. Both of them make our OF much better both offensively and defensively.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Gary Sanchez looks fit. Just saying.

All you need to do is look over at MSG and how Julius Randle has performed this year after he got himself into great shape.

A Gary Sanchez in shape might be a very nice addition to my fantasy team this year...hmmmm

Reactions: darko

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
So now another Mets coach is accused of sexual assault...this time some dude Ryan Ellis who was their hitting performance coordinator and someone I had no clue who he was, was just fired. So that's 3 non Met players who have either been fired or accused in just the last two months.

I dunno but either people who get hired by the Mets get horny as heck when they come to the big apple and all it's temptations or the Mets do the worst due diligence of any team in not just baseball but any sport. I'll go with the latter.... Friggen ridiculous already.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
So now another Mets coach is accused of sexual assault...this time some dude Ryan Ellis who was their hitting performance coordinator and someone I had no clue who he was, was just fired. So that's 3 non Met players who have either been fired or accused in just the last two months.

I dunno but either people who get hired by the Mets get horny as heck when they come to the big apple and all it's temptations or the Mets do the worst due diligence of any team in not just baseball but any sport. I'll go with the latter.... Friggen ridiculous already.
At least in Calloway's case he was hired by the Angels so he's their problem. But do you seriously expect employers to go through people's private text messages before making a hiring decision?

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
At least in Calloway's case he was hired by the Angels so he's their problem. But do you seriously expect employers to go through people's private text messages before making a hiring decision?

Some of these things were out there already and the Mets still hired them. This wasn't just text messages that were not known about.

And in today's "me too" society we live in, yeah I'd expect my team to do a better job vetting their employees.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

The Mets had complains in 2/3 cases that we know of. Not sure of Porter.

But their HR department absolutely received multiple complaints about Calloway and the hitting instructor. And they did nothing about it

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
As an HR Director who has to conduct or oversee these types of things on a somewhat regular basis, it's really hard for me to believe that these things weren't investigated, or were investigated but not acted upon. Everyone knows how damaging these things can be to a company/organization and most places will do everything they can to get rid of the accused, even if they have to literally pay the person to leave.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Some of these things were out there already and the Mets still hired them. This wasn't just text messages that were not known about.

And in today's "me too" society we live in, yeah I'd expect my team to do a better job vetting their employees.
They may be out there but you have to review people's private text messages to know for sure. At least that was the NFLs excuse with Favre.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
that's pretty insane considering they had another what 5 years of control before they had to pay him? those later years will be cheaper than if you signed him down the road, but you are also paying him $24 mil now when you could have paid him like 800k

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Talk about things you'll never see happen again, I remember when his old man hit two grand slams in the same inning, and off the same pitcher. That was one of the craziest things I've seen in all of sports.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
that's pretty insane considering they had another what 5 years of control before they had to pay him? those later years will be cheaper than if you signed him down the road, but you are also paying him $24 mil now when you could have paid him like 800k
He would have started getting big money in 2-3 years. It's kind of like signing a long term deal buying RFA years at a discount.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
For someone like him, you gladly pay him NOW as opposed to later.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
For someone like him, you gladly pay him NOW as opposed to later.

it very likely will be a smart contract in the long run (if he stays healthy) but not many teams would pay him that kind of $$ when they don't have to especially when he hasn't even played a full season worth of games yet so its not without risk...but my surprise was more that an owner did it when they didn't have to/could have spent the $$ elsewhere not that its a bad contract...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->