OT: MLB Thread XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Dang if Ramirez was available and we somehow acquired him...hmmmm. I need to not fantasize about what I'm thinking about how far the Mets could go as this is the Mets afterall...lol

It's a Covid market. no Lindor, No Carlos Santana, moved out Clevinger so who knows?

No question somebody of value will become available across this league and the Mets won't be cash strapped with a Bauer. Wouldn't be shocked if Bauer gets pulled in a 4th inning only to go into a tiktok video tirade at 2am

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
This is pure speculation from me but I think Cohen may have a wink wink deal with other owners to not exceed the cap and go into tax territory for the first year as owner of the Mets.

It was reported when he bought the team that the approval process from other owners wouldn’t be the rubber stamp it usually is. Cohen’s wealth along with the revenue drop from no fans and pandemic shortened season has most owners spending less. Even before the pandemic many owners would rather emulate the Rays model of flipping players when it is time to pay them.

Cohen announced Sandy as the GM to calm the nerves of other owners. They all know him for many years and know he would not break the bank and sign everybody. As it turns out the Mets missed out on all of the top free agents. We made a great trade and then started filling the roster out with depth signings.

I am likely wrong but can’t shake the feeling Cohen may have agreed to keep the payroll down at least fir the first season or 2. MLB owners have been caught colluding before and the last few off seasons have had some odd hot stoves.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
This is pure speculation from me but I think Cohen may have a wink wink deal with other owners to not exceed the cap and go into tax territory for the first year as owner of the Mets.

It was reported when he bought the team that the approval process from other owners wouldn’t be the rubber stamp it usually is. Cohen’s wealth along with the revenue drop from no fans and pandemic shortened season has most owners spending less. Even before the pandemic many owners would rather emulate the Rays model of flipping players when it is time to pay them.

Cohen announced Sandy as the GM to calm the nerves of other owners. They all know him for many years and know he would not break the bank and sign everybody. As it turns out the Mets missed out on all of the top free agents. We made a great trade and then started filling the roster out with depth signings.

I am likely wrong but can’t shake the feeling Cohen may have agreed to keep the payroll down at least fir the first season or 2. MLB owners have been caught colluding before and the last few off seasons have had some odd hot stoves

That’s seems like a conspiracy theory lol. The fact is Bauer wanted to go home. That’s pretty much all there is to it. I mean they offered him more overall money

Reactions: NYSPORTS

Baby Duck Homme

Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
That’s seems like a conspiracy theory lol. The fact is Bauer wanted to go home. That’s pretty much all there is to it. I mean they offered him more overall money
I am not touting this as fact at all. When Cohen bought the team most everybody thought the Mets would at least sign one of the top free agents maybe even two. Then right after the sale was approved Cohen stated he didn’t want to exceed the cap at least for the first few years.

Deleted member 23124

I am not surprised he went West....I remember reading something to this effect many times when he was approaching free agency.

Deleted member 23124

I am not touting this as fact at all. When Cohen bought the team most everybody thought the Mets would at least sign one of the top free agents maybe even two. Then right after the sale was approved Cohen stated he didn’t want to exceed the cap at least for the first few years.
I wasn't too keen on him making a splash. There were too many wholes to fill and little to no depth in the minors. Imagine if he'd signed the big three and they were injured. We would be beyond screwed. I think he's going to give Alderson some time to restock the minors first.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I wasn't too keen on him making a splash. There were too many wholes to fill and little to no depth in the minors. Imagine if he'd signed the big three and they were injured. We would be beyond screwed. I think he's going to give Alderson some time to restock the minors first.

The risk for a fielder is much less than a pitcher imo. I’m comfortable with Lindor and possibly/likely giving an Alfonzo a huge extension yet a i could see a Bauer needing TJS on top of social media circus.

let me clarify too, i think it’s less risky for a bat well under the age 38 like a Cano which the last hierarchy was dumb enough to trade for.

Deleted member 23124

The risk for a fielder is much less than a pitcher imo. I’m comfortable with Lindor and possibly/likely giving an Alfonzo a huge extension yet a i could see a Bauer needing TJS on top of social media circus.

let me clarify too, i think it’s less risky for a bat well under the age 38 like a Cano which the last hierarchy was dumb enough to trade for.
While I agree on the risk factor, we are talking about "The Mets".

Reactions: NYSPORTS

Baby Duck Homme

Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
It’s insane that we still don’t know if there will be a DH in the NL this upcoming season. MLB wants to keep that as a chip for collective bargaining. That’s why the Mets signed our new Lagares/Marasnik type today. All glove and no bat. The Mets are affected more than any other NL team by the DH delay due to our roster composition.

Deleted member 23124

It’s insane that we still don’t know if there will be a DH in the NL this upcoming season. MLB wants to keep that as a chip for collective bargaining. That’s why the Mets signed our new Lagares/Marasnik type today. All glove and no bat. The Mets are affected more than any other NL team by the DH delay due to our roster composition.
Are you sure this hasn't been decided. From what I've read, all the "new rules" (DH, man on second in extra innings, etc.) were part of the 154-game proposal MLB presented when it wanted to delay spring training. The players rejected that proposal. With the rejection, wouldn't things go back to the way they were since spring training will start as usual and the 162 game schedule remains in effect.

Baby Duck Homme

Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
Are you sure this hasn't been decided. From what I've read, all the "new rules" (DH, man on second in extra innings, etc.) were part of the 154-game proposal MLB presented when it wanted to delay spring training. The players rejected that proposal. With the rejection, wouldn't things go back to the way they were since spring training will start as usual and the 162 game schedule remains in effect.
That is the current status. MLB is open to the DH in the NL permanently. They are holding off because the PA wants that and it can be used in the CBA after this season. Everything I have read about the upcoming season has alluded to the fact that it is still not resolved and is affecting roster decisions across the NL. It may well revert back to no DH in the NL for the upcoming season but it hadn’t been codified yet.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That is the current status. MLB is open to the DH in the NL permanently. They are holding off because the PA wants that and it can be used in the CBA after this season. Everything I have read about the upcoming season has alluded to the fact that it is still not resolved and is affecting roster decisions across the NL. It may well revert back to no DH in the NL for the upcoming season but it hadn’t been codified yet.
That's correct. The MLBPA recently turned down an offer of universal DH that would have also expanded the playoff field.

Union rejects MLB bid for DH in NL, more playoffs

Reactions: Baby Duck Homme

Baby Duck Homme

Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
That's correct. The MLBPA recently turned down an offer of universal DH that would have also expanded the playoff field.

Union rejects MLB bid for DH in NL, more playoffs

Sherman gets into it here too, it would be stupid to not adopt the DH across MLB at this point but everything is a negotiation and both sides use all the leverage they can with the CBA up at the end of the season.

https://nypost.com/2021/02/07/mets-could-still-pursue-jackie-bradley-jr-if-nl-gets-dh/

Deleted member 23124

Thanks. Just read an article that also clarified the situation. Didn't MLB tell the NL teams to proceed as if there would be no DH?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Thanks. Just read an article that also clarified the situation. Didn't MLB tell the NL teams to proceed as if there would be no DH?
Yeah they said that at the end of last year IIRC. That was basically because they knew that while there was a chance the MLBPA would agree to a universal DH before the season, they also knew there was a chance the MLBPA would not. And it would be better for NL teams to not be in a situation like the Mets, where you were banking on a DH, than the other way around.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The deal the players turned down was bc if they agreed, they’d have to open up the contract for modification for the DH, which could also mean a lot of other things could be subject to change - like money. It was a procedural rejection from what I understand.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Not a fam of the extra inning rules.

want to speed up the game. Make batters stay in the box after a pitch where they dont swing. Dont let pitchers take 1 min between pitches. And cut down on commercials.

also start teaching players to put the ball into play instead of going for a walk, strikeout or HR. 2-0 and 3-1 counts a batter should be grippin and rippin instead of taking a pitch.

this mentality could be done by trying to. Come up with ways to stop the shift. Maybe make a zone where a defender has to start for each pitch so he cant shift to much left or right, but can move forward or backward.

I would rather see this than the runner on second which is completely ridiculous.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I like both of the Villar and the Almora signings for the Mets. Villar will help since he can play 2nd, SS, and CF. He didn't have the best shortened season, but the year before with a full season was much better. Good player to add when injuries hit since he can fill in multiple spots, and he is a good baserunner too, with good speed to swipe a bag. If he can have more of a 2019 than 2020, he'll be starting at 2nd and they'll move McNeil to 3rd or LF

Almora is historically a strong glove, but hasn't been great recently. Good depth outfielder though. The bench is much improved with these two. With no DH, I think the bench looks like this:

Nido, Villar, Almora, Guillorme, Martinez. Villar is the PH bat against RH pitching, Martinez against LH. Almora is the late game defensive replacement, and Guillorme lets them have versatility on the IF.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
This is a solid signing bringing in Villar. Villar adds a ton of versatility and speed. Hopefully his bat can bounce back. I owned him in fantasy last year and watched him alot. I was very dissapointed in him. That said, he's got talent and it gives the Mets flexibility to put McNeil at 3B if JD pisses all over himself which I don't think he'll do but just in case.

Almora is OK...not what I would have done. He can't hit for shit and tho he has a nice glove, all it is a depth move and it still leaves Nimmo as the main man in CF. I'll say it again as I've said quite a few times, I don't see why the Mets don't sign Kevin Pillar. The guy can hit and he has a solid glove. He'd be a perfect addition IMO.

OK, so Pillar, Rosenthall for the pen, Odorizzi for the back end of the rotation and bring on the Dodgers and Braves...we'd be more than ready!

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Pillar sucks offensively. Last season was the first time in his career his wRC+ was above 100.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Pillar sucks offensively. Last season was the first time in his career his wRC+ was above 100.

I'm not a huge fancy advanced stats guy as they are what they are.

I go by the eyeball test quite a bit and Pillar has always impressed me. He's made some of the greatest catches in the past 10 years on multiple occassions.

So that combined with an average season for Pillar being .262...15 bombs....62 ribs....75 runs scored....154 hits....16 stolen bags and who doesn't strike out all too much, his lack of walks doesn't bother me at all. I'll take Pillar as he'd make for a solid addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad