Feb 2, 2012
Queens, New York
E6JNaBLWYAAsr_2

Better than any damn Yankee who's ever played!​
Raul Ibanez is still alive y'know...

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
That was ridiculous last night. Alonso made the Derby look way too easy. He would have beaten even a roided up McGwire last night. Heck he would have beaten even Griffey Jr. No one could have beaten Alonso last night....crazy performance.

If Alonso can get on a roll after the break with the Pirates, Reds, Blue Jays, Braves and Reds again, tho not easy, that is certainly not a daunting upcoming schedule for the Metsies.

Would be nice to bump up this 3-4 game lead of ours to the 6-7 game range and give us a little breathing room. Pete getting on a roll would be awfully helpful.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I could live with the 7-inning doubleheader. I'm not so bothered by that. The ghost runner, I absolutely f***ing detest and the sooner it's gone, the better.

I'm with ya....7 inning DH's are fine. They absolutely have to get rid of that ghost runner crapola. It might be the worst rule change in not only baseball history but in the history of sports!!.

Simply an abominable rule change and it has to be eliminated!!

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I could live with the 7-inning doubleheader. I'm not so bothered by that. The ghost runner, I absolutely f***ing detest and the sooner it's gone, the better.

I really like the 7 inning games, but I understand people who hate it and say it's bullshit. It does completely change the sport.

I just like them because I feel like baseball games are too long. A 7 inning day game of a DH is my ideal game to attend or watch.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Pete winning again last night was amazing. The Mets have never had this kind of a player. His power unreal. He also has that ability to come through in the big moment. Looked like he was going to come up short, was taking his time and they he took it into overdrive and just took every pitch and obliterated the ball.

Next is the big games at the end of the season. Go out and win the division and make the postseason. Alonso has it set up where Lindor has taken over being the guy and the leader of the team where he can just go out and mash. He has the opportunity to take over the city this fall. The Yankees are going to most likely be out of it and the only ticket in town will be the Mets.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
a problem with 7 inning games with fans back though is some might get mad that they paid for a 9 inning game and then it got rescheduled for 7

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
7 inning double headers are fine for traditional and BS for split ticket.

Also, Szapucki out with season ending surgery

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
7 inning double headers are fine for traditional and BS for split ticket.

Also, Szapucki out with season ending surgery

Not all to familiar with the kid but at least he'll be back by next spring. Curious if you or anyone else knows this seeing I'm not all to up on teams organizational ranking but how do the Mets stack up versus the other teams as far as prospects? I recall a few years ago we were something like 3rd just behind the Padres and I think LA. Where are we now? Would think we are in pretty good shape...no?

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
Not all to familiar with the kid but at least he'll be back by next spring. Curious if you or anyone else knows this seeing I'm not all to up on teams organizational ranking but how do the Mets stack up versus the other teams as far as prospects? I recall a few years ago we were something like 3rd just behind the Padres and I think LA. Where are we now? Would think we are in pretty good shape...no?
I'm far from a baseball prospect expert, but to my understanding the Mets' top end is pretty good with Alvarez who is a borderline top 5 guy and Baty who is top 20. We also just added Kumar Rocker who is going to be right up there.

The Szapucki injury is interesting because he actually already got a cup of coffee in the majors and was maybe a possibility if injuries piled up in the rotation again, but that door has obviously closed now.

Reactions: Maximus

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm far from a baseball prospect expert, but to my understanding the Mets' top end is pretty good with Alvarez who is a borderline top 5 guy and Baty who is top 20. We also just added Kumar Rocker who is going to be right up there.

The Szapucki injury is interesting because he actually already got a cup of coffee in the majors and was maybe a possibility if injuries piled up in the rotation again, but that door has obviously closed now.
Alvarez is a legitimate stud, as is Baty. Vientos is actually a month younger than Baty and mashing in AA. Mauricio is considered a high-end SS by most but is sort of similar to Andres Gimenez in that the production has not yet matched the tools. Pete Crow-Armstrong has potential GG-caliber defense in center and developing hit tool with a lot of upside. Those five position players are legitimately good and would be in any system. They have a couple other interesting guys like Carlos Cortes (who they drafted twice, LOL) and Alex Ramirez.

In terms of arms, that's where it's kind of bleak and helps explain why they used picks on them early. They have Matt Allan who was also a legitimate stud, but is out after undergoing TJ before the season, and JT Ginn who just recently made it back from the same. Beyond those two high-end guys, you basically have Szapucki, a couple guys who are really far off, and then Megill and Diaz who we've already seen this year.

The system has some excellent prospects at the top but is painfully lacking in depth, particularly arms. Adding Rocker is huge to the system, and some of the other arms they took should also really help balance things out.

EDIT: It's not really a reflection of the system's overall strength, but the Mets' farm teams are like historically bad. Syracuse is 19-40, Binghamton is 22-35 (after starting like 0-13 or something), and Brooklyn is 19-39. The best they have is Low-A St. Lucie at 31-29. It's really amazing honestly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greg02 and Maximus

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I'm probably on an island here but I'm genuinely looking forward to watching the all star game tonight.

I know it's not saying much seeing the Pro Bowl, the NBA all star game and even the NHL game which has gotten a bit better lately but the baseball all star game is so much better than the other sports...it's not even worth discussing.

I was around and remember the mid 70's and the 80's when the baseball all star game was must see TV. It's gone to the shitter for most part since than but for some reason I'm actually looking fwd to tonight. Maybe its the Ohtani factor...maybe because fans are back in the stands and there was no game last year.

I dunno but whatever it is...I'm kind of pumped and hope to see a good game. I told you I was on an island....lol

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Can we now get the PBP crew to go to away games yet? Is that going to be a thing moving forward to save a buck? Hockey better cut this crap out too. The sound is off with a studio echo at times, the timing is also off and it just feels wrong. The execs are happy to save a million bucks and the lazy pbp guys (Kay) are happy to stay local and come up with excuses galore (this is saving JOBS ppl). Real lovers of the sport like Sterling absolutely hate it, as they should.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Both 7 inning double headers and the running on second should be kept.

To be honest all games should be 7 innings. That would be the one you really speed up the game, reduce emphasis of the bullpen, and go back to the days of having starters throwing complete games. Of course, it will never happen.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Both 7 inning double headers and the running on second should be kept.

To be honest all games should be 7 innings. That would be the one you really speed up the game, reduce emphasis of the bullpen, and go back to the days of having starters throwing complete games. Of course, it will never happen.

Runner on second only after the 11th is the way I'd go. Do at least two innings without it.

Reactions: Maximus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad