OT: MLB Thread XLIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
oh how this has a chance to be ultra dimensional mets right here

which is funny since yesterday beltran was the first guy to come out and say the story was BS and the astros didn't do those things...

but man, it would be the metiest's mets thing ever if houston doesn't get punished but beltran gets suspended for a year over it and the mets don't have a manager LOL

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
which is funny since yesterday beltran was the first guy to come out and say the story was BS and the astros didn't do those things...

but man, it would be the metiest's mets thing ever if houston doesn't get punished but beltran gets suspended for a year over it and the mets don't have a manager LOL

Hinch is being investigated as well so this is unlikely.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

If he got suspended I would imagine the Mets would probably fire him. I don’t see them going an interim route after a year and then bringing a guy in with a year left on the contract after that happened

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Terry Collins masterminded this whole thing. Get Beltran in as manager, Beltran loves Terry and wants him as bench coach. Astros cheating leaks, Beltran goes down with it, TC is back. Genius.

Reactions: sbjnyc

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
Personally, I find it is asinine to suggest shrugging off what the Astros are accused of because "stealing signs" has always been part of baseball. It should be investigated and if it's found that they have been using an elaborate camera system to steal signs from opposing teams they should be punished significantly for that. But yeah, I'm not in favor of forfeiting championships...

And I don't see how the steroid argument isn't incredibly apt:

Obviously there has been steady improvement in player diets and training since MLB began. And more importantly major development in health, fitness, nutrition and exercise in general. There is no question the average MLB player is significantly more maximized and optimized to produce stats than someone like Babe Ruth, who boozed and ate hot dogs on game nights.

Yet with HGH and other steroids, MLB and the public was able to decide on a certain limit to what an individual could legally do to improve his body under MLB rules.

Likewise, sign stealing and the gamesmanship around it, tipping pitches, etc. has always been a part of the game, and has no doubt seen significant advances over the last 100 years. But to suggest it wouldn't be utterly simple to specifically establish in the MLB rulebook a clear set of enforcable guidelines around sign-stealing... come on.

Clarify the rule. Establish strict punishment. Enforce.

If it ends up being found to have been truly egregious enough - put an asterisk on their championship.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
In his prime, Babe Ruth was an elite athlete. Most pictures and videos we see of him are when he was well into his 30s.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
Re: Astros punishment

I would forbid their player transaction for the next two seasons. So no ML or International player acquisitions.

Take away their 1st round picks in that same time frame. Two seasons.

AJ Hinch 20' season suspension.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC

I would forbid their player transaction for the next two seasons. So no ML or International player acquisitions.

I like the way you think. Unfortunately I doubt that MLB has balls that big.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
The punishment has to hurt the team, no one is going to give a shit when you fine a guy a million dollars that is worth 2.5 billion.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

this is the type of hammer droppage that would satisfy me.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
They'll be fined, lose draft picks and possibly miss out on international free agents for a year or two.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

We were robbed of 2017 World Champions. DRob, Gardner,CC and Girardi ending their Yankee careers with one last chip...

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
What exactly are you going to do to the Astros that is really going to hurt them in the now?
No player is going to be suspended.
The manager or GM suspended? so what
Draft picks? Meaningless
Cash fines? Unless its 50 million or more its meaningless.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
When NYY scored one or fewer runs in four of the seven games, they weren't robbed. They were shut down.

but they were shutdown cause the astros were stealing the pitches that their own pitchers were throwing, therefore making it so the yankee hitters were at an unfair disadvantage :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille