OT: MLB Thread XLIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I don't think Stanton is movable right now, unless they absorbed so much money in such a bad contract that it wouldn't be a great deal anyway.

However, if he hits 45 homers, 125 RBI's, and they still don't win then I could see him being movable. Watch we'll have all this talk and he'll have an A-Rod 2009 run.
Not likely. He's had one season where he was that good in his entire career.

GoAwayGiannone

Feb 2, 2012
Queens, New York
Kinda curious to see if the Mets have their usual summer slump and find themselves clawing into the playoff race will people defend Beltran based on his Mets tenure or will they immediately go rabid.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Kinda curious to see if the Mets have their usual summer slump and find themselves clawing into the playoff race will people defend Beltran based on his Mets tenure or will they immediately go rabid.

I love Carlos. He's one of my favorite baseball players of all time. I think he's smart and thoughtful and his hiring is very nice in my opinion.

That said, one of the biggest anxieties I have about it is if the Mets do their usual Mets thing and Beltran becomes yet another bullet sponge for the brass.

Reactions: Crease

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
Why is that? Ownership has proven to have been cheap in recent years.

Because Chapman signed the exact contract he was already on the books for the next two years for. If anything, him not getting a raise or opting out and renegotiating probably helps the Yankees with cash to spend on free agents.

Letting Chapman walk to try and use that money on an ace is just switching which hole you're choosing to plug. And even though it was one series, I highly doubt after watching Ottovino implode they're extra eager to thin out the bullpen.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I like Torres going back to SS and moving DJ to 2B.

Just gotta find a 1B who is reliable for in-season long term
What about the following season. Do the Yanks extend DJ long term? Replacing 2 good hitting infielders is not that easy. I'm guessing that by the end of next year, DJ will have the bigger contract.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Athletic article about robo umps upcoming: Automated strike zone to debut in Minor League Baseball in...

Looks like it will be introduced into a few minor league parks next year, and the call will be conveyed to the homeplate ump via earpiece so they can make the call.

I wonder how many umps will go rogue and say the opposite of what the robo ump calls.

I think robo umps are the way to go for the MLB, but the biggest obstacle that it faces is...the outrage from fans because the norm strike zone they've been used to all this time is now being 100% called by the rules. So they have to get used to it. Players too. They're used to a strike zone that is constantly shifting game-to-game, inning-to-inning. And they adjust.

The biggest problem with how the homeplate umps call the

So in that case...do you adjust the strike zone definition? You know you're going to get the correct call most of the time. But to create the easiest transition to the major leagues...do you adjust the strike zone rules to make it "easier to adjust" or not?

Robo umps, as much as we want them, will be a DRASTIC shift initially, and will require a lot of adjustment from both the player perspective, and fan perspective. It's gonna be rough, but worth it.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
I’m not gonna provide the link because it has profanity, but if you go to Barstool they have an article saying CC has been full court pressing Cole to come to the Yankees. CC was on a podcast talking about it.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Athletic article about robo umps upcoming: Automated strike zone to debut in Minor League Baseball in...

Looks like it will be introduced into a few minor league parks next year, and the call will be conveyed to the homeplate ump via earpiece so they can make the call.

I wonder how many umps will go rogue and say the opposite of what the robo ump calls.

I think robo umps are the way to go for the MLB, but the biggest obstacle that it faces is...the outrage from fans because the norm strike zone they've been used to all this time is now being 100% called by the rules. So they have to get used to it. Players too. They're used to a strike zone that is constantly shifting game-to-game, inning-to-inning. And they adjust.

The biggest problem with how the homeplate umps call the

So in that case...do you adjust the strike zone definition? You know you're going to get the correct call most of the time. But to create the easiest transition to the major leagues...do you adjust the strike zone rules to make it "easier to adjust" or not?

Robo umps, as much as we want them, will be a DRASTIC shift initially, and will require a lot of adjustment from both the player perspective, and fan perspective. It's gonna be rough, but worth it.

I'm fine with it. It will bring much needed consistency to the strike zone.

And I am a traditionalist, but after seeing the calls last season and the arrogance of many umpires, it's time to go to the robots.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Cole in our rotation would be great...until we hit .150 again with r.i.s.p when it counts.

Reactions: romba

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Cole in our rotation would be great...until we hit .150 again with r.i.s.p when it counts.
Number 2 team in RISP in baseball in the regular season.

Once playoff time ramps up and the big boy starters come around, the pressure mounts and swoooooosh!

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Good hire

Two days ago he was promoted to Director of Pitching Development or some title like that for the Indians, so lol whoops

Last edited:

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

This looks like a good fit for Didi.

Smaller ballpark, and the Reds middle infield is not set in stone. Nick Senzel plays multiple positions and if they sign Didi, would put him in CF.

Biggest news that came out was Contreras being available from the Cubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00