OT: MLB Thread - Part XVII: Mets and Yankees Play Base-Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
If I were a manager I would tell my best players never to hustle to first on routine plays. Not worth the risk of injury to hope a player makes an error. Slow rollers that will likely be infield hits obviously are not included in "routine plays"

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I have no idea how he hit that ball out being so far out ahead of that pitch. I'm not sure I've ever seen that before. The Yankees are idiots if they don't move this guy to an IF position because his career will be shortened if he remains as a catcher

I'm sure they might down the line, but not now. He has potential to be a very good defensive catcher. His arm strength throwing to the base paths is very good.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I always think of Ryan Howard injuring himself on a meaningless grounder because he tried overly hard to bust it out of the box and snapped a ligament.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
You wonder if that was somewhat intentional by Matz. He definitely threw at Texiera last season.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If I were a manager I would tell my best players never to hustle to first on routine plays. Not worth the risk of injury to hope a player makes an error. Slow rollers that will likely be infield hits obviously are not included in "routine plays"

Agreed. You got a guy in Cespedes who has a knack for hurting himself running, and you want him to bust his ass on routine grounders? Nah.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Another blowout game going into the 9th, and the Yankees will have to use one of their good relievers...

Just ****ing sickening and unbelievable.

Please cut Bryan Mitchell like yesterday. If you can't even pitch in a blowout game, when can you pitch?

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
He left Mitchell in too long, despite throwing meatball and missing with his control. Probably should've pulled him after the bases were loaded.

It was still 7-1 at that point. Maybe Mitchell would have gotten a DP or something.

Also, I'd rather Betances come in with nobody on than with men on base.

However, like I said, this was all on Mitchell.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
It was still 7-1 at that point. Maybe Mitchell would have gotten a DP or something.

Also, I'd rather Betances come in with nobody on than with men on base.

However, like I said, this was all on Mitchell.

Exctly.

Girardi has been horrendous this season, but he did the right thing tonight.

At least Betances got through the inning pretty quickly.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I always think of Ryan Howard injuring himself on a meaningless grounder because he tried overly hard to bust it out of the box and snapped a ligament.

I mean, the World Series literally ended on the play, unless you're referencing another injury he had. :laugh:

Either way though I do agree that running out routine ground balls if you are a great player is a waste.

Last out of the World Series you probably have to run though, that was just a shame it had to happen like that.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I mean, the World Series literally ended on the play, unless you're referencing another injury he had. :laugh:

Either way though I do agree that running out routine ground balls if you are a great player is a waste.

Last out of the World Series you probably have to run though, that was just a shame it had to happen like that.

Victorino grounded out to end the 2009 World Series.

Howard ended the 2011 NLDS.

Which, you know...your point stands; still a playoff game.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Difference between Sale and Kluber is marginal. One is like 3rd best pitcher in the game and the other is 4th.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Mets will have little chance moving forward. They have deGrom and then a bunch of crap, and on offense they traded two big power producers and one of their better-rounded hitters. Grandy may yet be moved. There won't be much more winning this year.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
For next year I'm thinking:

1B: Smith
2B: Flores
3B: ?
SS: Rosario
C: d'Arnaud/partner
LF: Cespedes
CF: ? (maybe Cain if they can get him for two years)
RF: Conforto

Bench: TJ Rivera, Nimmo, Cabrera (if he'd accept that role without being an *******), Lagares, some other signing

SP: Syndergaard
SP: deGrom
SP: Free agent signing
SP: Free agent/one of our guys
SP: One of our guys

Out of the pen, I'd keep Blevins, Familia, Ramos and Sewald. Some of the guys we have like Gsellman and Lugo might be better options out of the pen.

Just me spitballing.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Mets will have little chance moving forward. They have deGrom and then a bunch of crap, and on offense they traded two big power producers and one of their better-rounded hitters. Grandy may yet be moved. There won't be much more winning this year.

Wasn't that the plan?

Original plan......make the PO's and possibly win the World Series.
Mid season plan.......dump everyone that makes too much dinero.
3/4 plan.........save money, give young studs a chance and cheat the fans.

A special thanks to Harvey, Thor, Matz, Gsellman and the wife beater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad