South Florida
For next year I'm thinking:

1B: Smith
2B: Flores
3B: ?
SS: Rosario
C: d'Arnaud/partner
LF: Cespedes
CF: ? (maybe Cain if they can get him for two years)
RF: Conforto

Bench: TJ Rivera, Nimmo, Cabrera (if he'd accept that role without being an *******), Lagares, some other signing

SP: Syndergaard
SP: deGrom
SP: Free agent signing
SP: Free agent/one of our guys
SP: One of our guys

Out of the pen, I'd keep Blevins, Familia, Ramos and Sewald. Some of the guys we have like Gsellman and Lugo might be better options out of the pen.

Just me spitballing.

I think the Mets might seriously think twice about d'Arnaud. He hasn't ever gotten consistent and can't throw to save his life. Move on.

Funny.......you didn't mention Harvey or Matz.......on purpose?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think the Mets might seriously think twice about d'Arnaud. He hasn't ever gotten consistent and can't throw to save his life. Move on.

Funny.......you didn't mention Harvey or Matz.......on purpose?

Harvey, Matz, Wheeler, Gsellman, Lugo, etc. Those guys can compete for one of those two spots at the end of the rotation. There are just too many question marks with them. We can't just hand any of them a spot. They need to earn it.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I'm more convinced Matz is just having a bad year and will bounce back. I'm not as sure on Harvey. It's possible the TOS surgery really just messed him up but it's also possible the Mets staff just screwed up letting him pitch too early from it which led to the atrophied arm and he might actually be good next year.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
For next year I'm thinking:

1B: Smith
2B: Flores
3B: ?
SS: Rosario
C: d'Arnaud/partner
LF: Cespedes
CF: ? (maybe Cain if they can get him for two years)
RF: Conforto

Bench: TJ Rivera, Nimmo, Cabrera (if he'd accept that role without being an *******), Lagares, some other signing

SP: Syndergaard
SP: deGrom
SP: Free agent signing
SP: Free agent/one of our guys
SP: One of our guys

Out of the pen, I'd keep Blevins, Familia, Ramos and Sewald. Some of the guys we have like Gsellman and Lugo might be better options out of the pen.

Just me spitballing.

I think this is close. I think the Mets make one big signing—likely a 3B or 2B. I think they're probably looking at a Lagares/Nimmo CF platoon. And I have a feeling they're done with d'Arnaud

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I'm more convinced Matz is just having a bad year and will bounce back. I'm not as sure on Harvey. It's possible the TOS surgery really just messed him up but it's also possible the Mets staff just screwed up letting him pitch too early from it which led to the atrophied arm and he might actually be good next year.

Matz's FIP is 5 and xFIP mid 4s. Wtf happened to his K-rate?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

It's absolutely possible, maybe even likely, that Matz is just having a bad year. However, I want to compete next year and as such I don't want to gamble on him returning to form (or Harvey returning to something even decent, or Wheeler being a capable pitcher for the first time in four years). I also don't want to gamble on guys like Gsellman and Lugo, or even someone like Flexen.

I don't want to gamble. I want to go into the season with a rotation that looks good and doesn't have a ton of question marks. That's what we did this year and it was a collosal failure. I can't imagine things going as badly next year as they did this year, but we're the ****ing Mets and it probably would happen. Given me Thor, deGrom, another good, solid dependable guy and then let's see what happens with the back end. If the back end goes to **** then we have to acquire a 4.

I really think Gsellman with his stuff would be better suited for the pen. Two pitch pitcher. Sinker, cutter. In short doses he can get those swings and misses. His peripheral numbers in the minors never suggested he'd get enough swings and misses to succeed in the Majors. He now has twice as many ****** innings in the league as he has had good innings. I think he could be an asset in the pen. Let him pitch the seventh.

As far as TDA, I think they need to keep him one more year. See if he can establish some value. At the same time they MUST bring in someone else that can potentially play every day. I wanted Wellington Castillo last year.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Matz is probably injured, maybe serious, maybe not, but I suspect some type of injury. The guy has never struggled in his pro career, whether it be major or minor league. Thats a completely different case than Harvey who has had multiple serious injuries the last few years, and has seen his performance, stuff dip once he returned. If Matz is healthy, he's in the rotation. This is kind of the case for a few of these guys. The same applies for Wheeler, and then I guess you could argue for rotation spots with Gsellman, Lugo, Harvey. Thats why I keep saying that the Mets have no need for another Bartolo Colon. If our pitchers are fit, we are accepting worse performance to have a Colon type in the rotation just because a guy hasn't been under the medical care of Mets doctors. Our players are not fragile, its how the Mets deal with these guys, the team is the problem, not the players. Those new pitchers would probably get injured, as well, although Colon might not be the best example for that as how he pitches kind of works against getting injuries. The Mets approach to how they work with pitchers who have good stuff, mainly Warthen getting them to throw harder and with more movement, and then how they manage injuries has often been the biggest problem.

If its a difference maker, like Ohtani, thats a different story. You can always improve every part of your team, but if this team has success, its going to be because our SP's somehow stay healthy, the odds should be in our favor after two seasons where they didn't. Don't try to mess with that, it would take years to successfully change around the team's identity. No turning back now, just gotta hope it works out.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
You can't bank on "the odds being in our favor" when it comes to someone like Harvey, who has had multiple surgeries including one that some guys never recover from, or Wheeler who missed two full years and has only pitched 80 innings this year. I mean yeah, new guys can get hurt, there's some risk there given how we handle injuries, but it seems like substantially less of a risk than hoping these chronically injured guys who haven't been effective for multiple seasons will suddenly stay healthy and work out.

If we do nothing to bolster the rotation I'd bet my house, both cars, the boat and every other thing of monetary value that we find ourselves in this very same position next season.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
You can't bank on "the odds being in our favor" when it comes to someone like Harvey, who has had multiple surgeries including one that some guys never recover from, or Wheeler who missed two full years and has only pitched 80 innings this year. I mean yeah, new guys can get hurt, there's some risk there given how we handle injuries, but it seems like substantially less of a risk than hoping these chronically injured guys who haven't been effective for multiple seasons will suddenly stay healthy and work out.

If we do nothing to bolster the rotation I'd bet my house, both cars, the boat and every other thing of monetary value that we find ourselves in this very same position next season.
Sabbathia's a FA. I think he'd be a good signing.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
At some point the Yankees will likely need to sweep a series against the Red Sox to try and take the division. This weekend would be a great time to do it.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Disgusting.

He's been pretty good the past 2 seasons.

If they couldn't find anyone in the 2/3 mold and just wanted an innings-eater at the back of the rotation, they could do worse. He'd be down the list of guys I'd want though.

How will the Mets acquire a #2/3 guy? I don't think the names in FA are that great (Besides Darvish and Arrieta) and they'd need to give up some very good prospects for a controllable one.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Why?

The guy's a borderline Hall of Fame pitcher who had one and half bad years.

He's not what he was in his prime, obviously, but he's a good solid pitcher the last two and half years.

For real, I don't mind him back, but at the same time I think maybe it's time to move on.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Mets don't need 4 ERA 37 year olds, Colon should've never been signed in the first place a few years ago, we don't need Bartolo Colon 2.0. If the Mets bring in a SP, it needs to be an ace, not someone who doesn't make our rotation if everyone's fit. If everyone's not fit, we won't be good, CC Sabathia's don't stop that from happening.

If the Mets are going to spend significant money, ace SP, dominant closer, C or CF. Waste of money to spend much money elsewhere, and the Coupons can not afford to waste any money.

Last edited:

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
So whats Moustakis gonna cost to play 3B?
I want nothing to do with Asdrubal anymore
I can live Lagares and Nimmo in CF
I would be open to bring Walker back for 2B for reasonable money
We desperately need one of Harvey or Matz to rebound my money on Matz
With that said Im counting Noah as a lock
TdA will be back because hes cheap and controlled
Hopefully FRankie V is the new Pitching coach
I am not a Collins hater so either way Im fine

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Mets don't need 4 ERA 37 year olds, Colon should've never been signed in the first place a few years ago, we don't need Bartolo Colon 2.0. If the Mets bring in a SP, it needs to be an ace, not someone who doesn't make our rotation if everyone's fit. If everyone's not fit, we won't be good, CC Sabathia's don't stop that from happening.

If the Mets are going to spend significant money, ace SP, dominant closer, C or CF. Waste of money to spend much money elsewhere, and the Coupons can not afford to waste any money.

Not sure how Colon was a bad signing in any shape or form. He was a good inning eater and the Mets probably don't make the playoffs without him last year.

There's no such thing as everyone being fit with this Mets rotation. Their prior lack of durability suggests that their major starters are always at risk for long term injury.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

De Grom is top 15 in baseball in ERA, WHIP, WAR, and wins. And many people would argue Syndegaard is better.

You have an ace. You have two.

Not to mention pitchers better than De Grom generally aren't available.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad