OT: MLB Thread - Part XVII: Mets and Yankees Play Base-Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Met fan here. I gotta say, I am VERY IMPRESSED with your Yankee arms you have there. There's some real talent in that pen. To think that Chapman seemed the most hittable, is unfathomable. My team has been dismantled (for the most part) and happy about it, with the exception of Bruce (for selfish reasons) but know it was the right thing to do......I suppose.

Anyway, after not really paying attention to the Yankees too much (other than Judge) good luck moving forward. Ugggh, I can't believe I'm saying that. I guess it's because of the Rangers bond we have. Lol.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Chapman is not far off imo.

But Girardi would rather lose games and let these guys "work out the kinks" than to do the right thing and move Chapman out of the closer role for a bit. He did this same ******** with Clippard.

He does the same thing with Judge who should be hitting 5th or 6th especially when Castro is back. He does not deserve to be in the 4 spot right now. He is pulling off the ball too much and not trying to spray pitches the other way. He is guessing way too much, taking fastballs right down the plate. Gardner, Hicks, Castro*, Sanchez, Didi should all be ahead of him right now.

Also completely and utterly shocked Gardner bunted last night. Was refreshing to see some small ball used.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
As of right now, Chapman needs to be removed from the closer role. It's all in his head right now. Yankees have a super pen and they can afford to mix and match everywhere.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
As of right now, Chapman needs to be removed from the closer role. It's all in his head right now. Yankees have a super pen and they can afford to mix and match everywhere.

I thought that was the point of the additions of Kahnle and DRob. To have flexibility and have maneuverability

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
I thought that was the point of the additions of Kahnle and DRob. To have flexibility and have maneuverability

They need to start going in that direction. I think Girardi needs to worry less about hurting Chapman's feelings and start locking down these wins.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I'm not entirely convinced Chapman is just having a 1 year hangover from overuse. Many closers have lost it after 5 or so years because the arm simply cannot handle the sort of strain that goes on when you're doing that 50-70 times a year going all out, even if it's just an inning. KRod and Gagner are two examples of guys who lost it without a severe injury. Gagner eventually did get hurt but he was declining before that. Kimbrel is also nothing compared to what he once was. He's just adjusted by learning to be more a pitcher than a thrower but he doesn't have the velocity he once did. This is why I hate signing closers to long term deals since they typically start to fall apart around the 5th-6th year of their careers which is usually right around free agency. Chapman may have to try and throw 97-98 and focus more on location because the 100-105 may no longer work

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I'm not entirely convinced Chapman is just having a 1 year hangover from overuse. Many closers have lost it after 5 or so years because the arm simply cannot handle the sort of strain that goes on when you're doing that 50-70 times a year going all out, even if it's just an inning. KRod and Gagner are two examples of guys who lost it without a severe injury. Gagner eventually did get hurt but he was declining before that. Kimbrel is also nothing compared to what he once was. He's just adjusted by learning to be more a pitcher than a thrower but he doesn't have the velocity he once did. This is why I hate signing closers to long term deals since they typically start to fall apart around the 5th-6th year of their careers which is usually right around free agency. Chapman may have to try and throw 97-98 and focus more on location because the 100-105 may no longer work

Lol, what?

Kimbrel is having an AMAZING season (I would know being a Yankees fan). Have you even looked at his stats this season? If you're referring to his last 2 seasons, he still had great numbers. There's never been a hint of decline for Kimbrel.

As for Chapman, we won't really know till next season, but I still believe this season is an outlier for him. The hangover plus the injury has affected him this season, imo.

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Theres is a real chance that Chapman's decline is real. The whiff rate on his stuff is way down which is a real red flag.

Girardi did him no favors on Sunday by leaving him in a batter too long (did the same thing with Gray yesterday and has done the same thing basically all year) but hes labored a ton this year despite that. Yeah its probably because of the overuse, but that kind of thing usually has lasting affects.

Do find it kind of funny that this was brought up by the same guy who thinks this season is just an a blip in the radar for Matt Harvey and threw Kimbrel, who is having one of the best seasons for a reliever ever into the conversation but I digress.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Even if Chapman is still great, he should be taken out of the closer's role. I was watching a broadcast recently, can't remember which one, but they were saying that Chapman's set in the 9th, but before that, the Yankees have the luxury of using the bullpen based on matchups. OK, Benintendi, Hanley, Moreland are due up. Which hard-throwing righty do we want to match up against them?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I still dont think Chapman is that far off. I do believe a huge part of it is the injury and sequentially is confidence after coming back. He is still has life on his fastball. His slider is not biting as much and to me that is half confidence and half mechanical, with one affecting the other. Without the devastating slider to lean on/mix in, his fastball isnt disguised as much which is why he looks so hittable.

Similar to Judge, he needs to go out there and attack. Attack the first batter like Judge needs to be aggressive and attack the first fastball he see's (while also staying back and spraying the oppposite field)

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Rosario AND Dom with two oppo homers makes me a very happy lad. :handclap:

That's the goal for the rest of the season. Have to see if these guys are answers for next season. No reason not to. Best thing that we can do is play them the rest of the way.

Smith came up while struggling and it appears he's brought that with him here. Hopefully he can get out of it. Rosario, while his approach isn't great, has begun to hit the ball. Reminds me of Reyes when he came up swinging at everything. The talent is there. He'll refine his approach at the majors and be able to lay off some of the breaking stuff in the dirt.

Exciting stuff to see. Young position players on the Mets don't come around very often, nonetheless two at the same time. Last time it was Reyes and Wright. These two could become cornerstones with Conforto. Find someone who will hit in that 2 hole next year, or even leadoff and Rosario at 2:

Rosario
XXXX
Conforto
Cespedes
Smith

Exciting times with the young players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad