OT: MLB Thread - Part XVII: Mets and Yankees Play Base-Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
One and done.

That offense will get chewed up by good pitching.
Hitting is top 10 in the league. Probably a bit higher since they got Nunez/emergence of Devers + Benintendi.

And their pitching is top 5 as well.

And they're clutch as hell. There's a bit of a never say die attitude with this team.

I hate to admit it. They seemed primed for a playoff run.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Hitting is top 10 in the league. Probably a bit higher since they got Nunez/emergence of Devers + Benintendi.

And their pitching is top 5 as well.

And they're clutch as hell. There's a bit of a never say die attitude with this team.

I hate to admit it. They seemed primed for a playoff run.

Their rotation is literally Sale and a bunch of ?'s and I'm not sold on their bridge to get to Kimbrel. Devers has been in the league for 3 weeks and Benintendi has been hot for like 2 weeks, pump the breaks.

They'll get bounced by Cleveland again who is deeper on offense , deeper in the rotation and in the bullpen.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The Sox rotation is no better than the Yankees other than having Sale. I don't trust their 2-3 guys. They CAN have good games but they're also guys who can be chewed up by a good offense. I would say overall though the Sox are just more likely to win a World Series because their rotation has better potential than the Yankees does. Sale could win 2 games alone in a series and I'm not ready to trust Severino to do that yet

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Lol, what?

Kimbrel is having an AMAZING season (I would know being a Yankees fan). Have you even looked at his stats this season? If you're referring to his last 2 seasons, he still had great numbers. There's never been a hint of decline for Kimbrel.

As for Chapman, we won't really know till next season, but I still believe this season is an outlier for him. The hangover plus the injury has affected him this season, imo.

Yeah mindboggling Kimbrel comment. He couldn't be further away from the truth .

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Their rotation is literally Sale and a bunch of ?'s and I'm not sold on their bridge to get to Kimbrel. Devers has been in the league for 3 weeks and Benintendi has been hot for like 2 weeks, pump the breaks.

They'll get bounced by Cleveland again who is deeper on offense , deeper in the rotation and in the bullpen.

Pomeranz, Price and Rodriguez are good enough for a lethal offense like they've had since the Nunez trade + promotions of youngsters. They won it with worse before.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Pomeranz, Price and Rodriguez are good enough for a lethal offense like they've had since the Nunez trade + promotions of youngsters. They won it with worse before.

Their offense is far from lethal and I disagree, especially when you have teams in this league who can mash even better than they can and have better pitchers in their rotation.

You're giving wayyyy to much credit to their offense based on 3 guys playing above their heads. The guys who are hot now will cool down, its how this sport works unless you think Devers and Benintendo are elite level players like Trout and Harper (and even those guys slump.)

I don't know that they've ever won it with worse teams. The years that they've won, their offense has been ****ing stacked. They don't have a juiced up Ortiz in the middle of this lineup.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Their offense is far from lethal and I disagree, especially when you have teams in this league who can mash even better than they can and have better pitchers in their rotation.

You're giving wayyyy to much credit to their offense based on 3 guys playing above their heads. The guys who are hot now will cool down, its how this sport works unless you think Devers and Benintendo are elite level players like Trout and Harper (and even those guys slump.)

I don't know that they've ever won it with worse teams. The years that they've won, their offense has been ****ing stacked. They don't have a juiced up Ortiz in the middle of this lineup.

Benintendo and Devers may not become Harper/Trout type players, but I think they'll be great players for a long time.

However, I agree that for this season, they'll cool down at some point.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
For sure, I was just making the point that they aren't that level of player now and will cool down eventually, hopefully starting tomorrow.

Penciling them in for the WS would be foolish though and pinning them as favorites is even more so. They've had a nice little 2 week run but theres a team out west who has been doing what the sox have been doing for the last 2 weeks for basically the entire season (and their ace ,middle relief and closer are even better than what the sox have to offer. Don't get me started on the lineups.)

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Their rotation is literally Sale and a bunch of ?'s and I'm not sold on their bridge to get to Kimbrel

When you have the ability to pitch Sale 3 times in a 7 game series,it doesn't really matter what you have behind him.

mrmovies779

Feb 5, 2013
It does when your opponent can do the same with a guy who can easily match him (Kluber, Kershaw, etc.)

Kluber isn't on Sale's level and Kershaw they won't face until the W.S.7 game series ill take my chances with Sale over anyone.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
No,he really isn't.Nobody can shutdown any lineup like Sale can.

Yes he really is.

You may want to take a look at their numbers the last few years. There isn't a big gap between them at all and Kluber has had years where hes clearly been the better pitcher.

Even this year where Sale has been having a career year, Kluber isn't that far behind.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Kluber I think is more consistently dominant. It's always the same story though. All it takes is one awful start by your elite starter and you're finished. Look at the 2000 Braves. Maddux and Glavine both got destroyed in the NLDS in back to back days and an inferior Cards team ended up beating them. This is why I want to see all rounds go 7

mrmovies779

Feb 5, 2013
Yes he really is.

You may want to take a look at their numbers the last few years. There isn't a big gap between them at all and Kluber has had years where hes clearly been the better pitcher.

Even this year where Sale has been having a career year, Kluber isn't that far behind.

There's still a gap between them.You said it yourself.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Not really, and even if there is one its very small.

This isn't to take away anything from Sale but you're seriously underselling Kluber. Dude is awesome and has already pitched deep into the postseason in dominant fashion.

mrmovies779

Feb 5, 2013
Not really, and even if there is one its very small.

This isn't to take away anything from Sale but you're seriously underselling Kluber. Dude is awesome and has already pitched deep into the postseason in dominant fashion.

I'm really not underselling him.I know how great he is,I just don't put him on Sale's level.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
When you say that hes not on his level despite the fact that he was better in 2 of the 3 seasons prior to this one (and the gap this year is closer than you think, who knows how they finish this season), I'd say that is underselling him, especially when he is the one who has shown that he can pitch in the post season (thats not to say that Sale can't, but we won't know until he does.)

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Gary's destroyed the Mets this series.

I have no idea how he hit that ball out being so far out ahead of that pitch. I'm not sure I've ever seen that before. The Yankees are idiots if they don't move this guy to an IF position because his career will be shortened if he remains as a catcher

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Matz has looked like ****, physically and mentally, all year. Yet another reason why the Mets need to overhaul their staff heading into next season.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Mets announcers laying into Cespedes about his lack of hustle/effort when going to first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad