Mitch "The Magician" Marner

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
you can score a lot on weak teams but buffalos team is ass they're not the islanders, only one other player is likely going to finish with more then 5o points on that team.... you can also score a lot on a deep team, especially when you dont draw the hardest match ups ala marner, should be something like A versus B+(big of guess but should be close to what it actually is) going by zekes grading of qoc.

that and the nature of playing center is much harder then playing wing, i would say they're is still a sizable gap.

On a weak team like Buffalo you get more score effects and garbage time in your favor (opponents get a lead, then sit back). You also get more ice time and a monopoly on PP time, zone starts, and other offensive opportunities.

On a deep team like Toronto you get the opposite of the above (e.g. Matthews/Bozak lines rack up a few goals and the team stops pressing offensively), but you get better linemates and better matchups.

It's a wash. Good players will produce in either situation, see McDavid last year vs this year, guys like Gaudreau, Tavares, etc. producing on bad teams. Kessel produced about the same on some horrible Leafs teams as he has on the Stanley Cup champions.

Apart from that, Marner's ice time is abnormally and extremely low for a player of that stature even for being on a good team. Laine is the only other player I know of whose ice time is so out of whack with their offensive success.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
I think Eichel is better but to say they're not even comparable is asinine. Marner drives his line in the offensive zone better than an Leaf forward I've seen

The anonymous head scout at the NHL draft who said that Marner might outscore Eichel in the NHL looks like he knew what he was talking about. I agreed with that opinion at the time, which the main board just couldn't deal with, it was heresy to them, and if this were the middle ages I'd have been burned alive. But as you say, that doesn't imply Marner is better, Eichel plays a more important position so Marner will have to outscore him by a decent margin to be viewed as better.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
On a weak team like Buffalo you get more score effects and garbage time in your favor (opponents get a lead, then sit back). You also get more ice time and a monopoly on PP time, zone starts, and other offensive opportunities.

On a deep team like Toronto you get the opposite of the above (e.g. Matthews/Bozak lines rack up a few goals and the team stops pressing offensively), but you get better linemates and better matchups.

It's a wash. Good players will produce in either situation, see McDavid last year vs this year, guys like Gaudreau, Tavares, etc. producing on bad teams. Kessel produced about the same on some horrible Leafs teams as he has on the Stanley Cup champions.

Apart from that, Marner's ice time is abnormally and extremely low for a player of that stature even for being on a good team. Laine is the only other player I know of whose ice time is so out of whack with their offensive success.
all good valid points but at the very least marner is getting better qot and worse qoc, which tips the scale a bit all else considered.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Yup "Magic" Mitch is doing his best "Brilliant" Barzal impersonation. :cool:

It's certainly impressive that a red hot Marner @ [.87 PPG] has closed the gap on Barzal @ [1.01 PPG] pace on the season.

If Marner didn't struggle early on, we might be having a photo finish here statistically & if Marner was in his rookie season he would certainly be giving Barzal a run for his money for the Calder alright.

Props to Mitch on his season, as he is having a barzalion like 2nd half.

Go cheer for the Islanders then. You are a disgrace. Just pathetic.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel

It's certainly impressive that a red hot Marner @ [.87 PPG] has closed the gap on Barzal @ [1.01 PPG] pace on the season.

If Marner didn't struggle early on, we might be having a photo finish here statistically & if Marner was in his rookie season he would certainly be giving Barzal a run for his money for the Calder alright.

Embarrassing. Absolutely embarrassing.

giphy.gif

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
yawn, sample size there. do it for a a season.... i already stated how good marner has been right now, rehashing it doesnt make it more impressive. Marner also has 50 points in his last 50 games doesnt change anything.
until marner can sustain this play you cant say hes in the same tier as eichel(yeah ik hes hasnt done it either but likely could have if given the chance)

This season:

Eichel 0.92 PPG
Marner 0.87 PPG

Marner could eliminate the difference in a single period.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
So either the Marner doubters disappear completely, or are still knocking him and can't admit they were wrong.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
marner is great and helped propelled this team in the playoffs and in my opinion has been the 3rd most valuable player to the team this season, with all that said kane is one of few game breaking wingers who can change a team, his playoffs runs are crazy, marner isn't near that yet at all.

I love mitch hes hot right now and our best forward no doubt. But comparing marner and eichel is just not far, the gap at draft was dumb in hindsight, but eichel is still half a notch above marner for sure right now imo.

The gap at draft wasn't dumb...#2 vs #4, and only because Arizona foolishly took Strome at #3.

Marner's junior dominance is translating into the NHL game infront of our very eyes...this is not a Marner that just came out of nowhere...it's not as if he was drafted in the 3rd round and just happened to show up by fluke and is surprising everyone last year and this year...there was not a player who could touch his numbers in his last year of juniors when he won everything there was to win...he is becoming one of those game breaking wingers in hockey and is still only 20...whether he reaches the heights of a Patrick Kane, time will tell...when Marner carries the team with the #1C going down, he is changing the team! He is comparable to Eichel and may very well become a better player.

Reactions: MattySnipes

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
The gap at draft wasn't dumb...#2 vs #4, and only because Arizona foolishly took Strome at #3.

Marner's junior dominance is translating into the NHL game infront of our very eyes...this is not a Marner that just came out of nowhere...it's not as if he was drafted in the 3rd round and just happened to show up by fluke and is surprising everyone last year and this year...there was not a player who could touch his numbers in his last year of juniors when he won everything there was to win...he is becoming one of those game breaking wingers in hockey and is still only 20...whether he reaches the heights of a Patrick Kane, time will tell...when Marner carries the team with the #1C going down, he is changing the team! He is comparable to Eichel and may very well become a better player.

In Kane's sophomore season he had 70 points and 25 goals. Mitch will pass 70 points and has a chance at 25 goals. Matching up with him pretty well so far.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Anyone still think Marner can't be the 2nd best player from the 2015 draft?
Way better than Barzal again tonight.
I can't wait to see the real playoff Marner. Last year he wasn't right. This year he is going to year it up.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

Marner is better than Barzal too. sorry bro.

Reactions: stickty111

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Minus Mathew might be in trouble next year if he has to carry the team himself. Marner played as his absolute best when he had to

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad