Mitch "The Magician" Marner

LaymanX

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Jesus. The next generation of forwards is pretty awesome and I'm stoked to watch them develop. McD, Eichel, Barzal, Laine, Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Boeser, Keller, Draisaitl etc.

We have 3 of them all developing together. No need to lower ourselves in response to another fanbase's envy.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Tell your intuitiin to learn to respect other peoples views and opinions

I pointed out who I thought you are. Your posts come pretty close to trolling this thread, really...so who is showing the disrespect? Can't criticize Mitch's recent work, who has been lights out good, only second to McDavid in point production in the last while? Well, let's give Mitch a back-handed slap on the face anyway by posting how awesome Barzal is in a Marner thread without actually acknowledging how great Marner has been...you want respect? You gotta show respect first.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Yup "Magic" Mitch is doing his best "Brilliant" Barzal impersonation. :cool:

It's certainly impressive that a red hot Marner @ [.87 PPG] has closed the gap on Barzal @ [1.01 PPG] pace on the season.

If Marner didn't struggle early on, we might be having a photo finish here statistically & if Marner was in his rookie season he would certainly be giving Barzal a run for his money for the Calder alright.

Props to Mitch on his season, as he is having a barzalion like 2nd half.

So, how "barzalion" was Barzal on Friday? :snide:

Marner was definitely magic.

Reactions: stickty111

Leafsfan13

Feb 13, 2018
Everyone had marner wrote of halfway through the season saying he was a bust. Everyone that wasn’t a leafs fan and some leafs fans said marner was to small for the league and not tough enough. Well marner just put up 9pts against the most physical dirtiest team in the league taking multiple hits to the head and playing against the Bergeron line 90% of the series which is the best line in hockey. I hope everyone realizes now this kid is for real I already can’t wait to see what he does next year maybe up with Matthews on the first line :sarcasm:

Reactions: Mugzy97

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I've been saying this since we've drafted the kid (and was hoping like mad that we'd draft him), he has transcendent talent people have trouble understanding. There are tons of prospects with speed,size,grit that come up every year, but actual skill is far rarer. This guy's imagination, creativity, poise etc is nearly unmatched in this league. As I've been saying for years, he'll have comparable impact to Matthews in this league.

He reminds me of Marty StLouis when Marty was toiling in the AHL. All you had to do was watch Marty play for a game or two and you could see that he had the sort of unusual talent that would make him a star, yet dumb people slept on him because he wasn't tall.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Marner was the least of Leaf problems this playoff season. In fact the opposite and was the Leafs best playoff performer.

For a little guy he took a lot of physical abuse from the Bruins in the series but showed great resilience and heart to take a licking and keep on ticking.

Black hat blue eyes

Jul 21, 2015
Everyone had marner wrote of halfway through the season saying he was a bust. Everyone that wasn’t a leafs fan and some leafs fans said marner was to small for the league and not tough enough. Well marner just put up 9pts against the most physical dirtiest team in the league taking multiple hits to the head and playing against the Bergeron line 90% of the series which is the best line in hockey. I hope everyone realizes now this kid is for real I already can’t wait to see what he does next year maybe up with Matthews on the first line :sarcasm:

Don't say everyone. Don't paint me in that conversation. There were a few very vocal anti Marner posters. But to say everyone wrote him off is a blatant lie.

Marner had his struggles and I worried about how long his transition may take. But he has, he's always had talent to spare but showing it on this level is rare and incredibly hard.

Don't care about Barzal, don't care about boeser. I care about how Mitch, Matt, will, Travis and AJ are doing. The other players on other teams are just obstacles in my teams way.

Just like I don't care about anti Marner posters, they're just in my way.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Don't say everyone. Don't paint me in that conversation. There were a few very vocal anti Marner posters. But to say everyone wrote him off is a blatant lie.

Marner had his struggles and I worried about how long his transition may take. But he has, he's always had talent to spare but showing it on this level is rare and incredibly hard.

Don't care about Barzal, don't care about boeser. I care about how Mitch, Matt, will, Travis and AJ are doing. The other players on other teams are just obstacles in my teams way.

outside of minus mitch I don't think anyone at all actually wrote him off, most people were justifiably critical of him when he didn't show up for a couple of months. Just like people are justifiably criticial of Nylander and to a lesser extent Matthews for not showing up.

Leafsfan13

Feb 13, 2018

Your right I should have worded it differently I meant everyone outside of leafs nation. I don’t even go on the main board anymore gives me a headache.

Reactions: Black hat blue eyes

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
outside of minus mitch I don't think anyone at all actually wrote him off, most people were justifiably critical of him when he didn't show up for a couple of months. Just like people are justifiably criticial of Nylander and to a lesser extent Matthews for not showing up.

Yep.

And a good reminder for folks not let their short term memory get the better of them when honking about the other guys on the team.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Started the season demoted to the 4th line.

Finished the season on the team's most dominant checking line, leading his team in points in the playoffs.

The ceiling is so high for this guy. Really exciting stuff.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Started the season demoted to the 4th line.

Finished the season on the team's most dominant checking line, leading his team in points in the playoffs.

The ceiling is so high for this guy. Really exciting stuff.
Forget his ceiling. The level he's at right now is extremely impressive. He was arguably the best player on either team throughout the course of the series.

Reactions: stickty111 and Tak7

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Forget his ceiling. The level he's at right now is extremely impressive. He was arguably the best player on either team throughout the course of the series.

Yep.

Pastrnak, DeBrusk, and maybe Marchand? There weren't too many other players that were at that level. Definitely one of the best players in the series

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Yep.

Pastrnak, DeBrusk, and maybe Marchand? There weren't too many other players that were at that level. Definitely one of the best players in the series
Yeah and certainly nobody on the leafs. The fact that marner did it alone separates him imo

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Yup he almost carried this team through to the 2nd round alone, even with awful goaltending and Matthews not looking himself.
However we shouldnt be surprised. Marner elevates his game in the playoffs. He did in the OHL and did it here.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Yup he almost carried this team through to the 2nd round alone, even with awful goaltending and Matthews not looking himself.
However we shouldnt be surprised. Marner elevates his game in the playoffs. He did in the OHL and did it here.

Andersen not good.
Matthews smuthered.
Kadri suspended / anonymous.

The fact that they even got to the 3rd period of game 7, with the lead, is quite remarkable.

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
Huge 2nd half of a season with a good playoff showing

Probably the leafs best player at the end of it all, don't be surprised to see him put up 90 pts next year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->