Mitch "The Magician" Marner

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Also, I don't remember Barzal playing with linemates as trash as Komarov / Martin for half the season.

Anders Lee - Barzal - Eberle, is a lot better than playing with Komarov and Martin for half the season.

Even Strength Line Combinations

2legit2quit

Oct 27, 2017

Why don't you check out JVR + Bozak's Even Strength STATS?
They are trash at even strength .... JVR is utter garbage offensively/defensively at 5v5 and Bozak has finally declined.

You are fool to think that Bozak and JVR (@ Even Strength) are as good as Anders Lee and Eberle.

IamruKusleaf

Mar 3, 2018
Maple Leaf Gardens
Actually it’s just a well thought of precise well calculated illusion from our friendly neighborhood Mitchy the Magician!!

Sorry
ruKus would March right along side with u even though I don’t agree with what u have to say , ... just to protect our right of freedom of expression and I sees that well !

GOo Figaro LEAFS GOoooo!

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Wait, when did Barzal become bad defensively? He's got excellent possession stats, is sub 1000 PDO (largely due to goaltending), has similar deployment to Marner's, and seems to be taking a ton of draws (poorly). I mean, Marner's pretty great but Barzal has been great too. You could argue how efficient their production is, and the 5v5 abilities of Bozak and JVR compared to Barzal's mates, and how Marner's deployment has changed from sheltered scoring to matching up against top competition...

They're great players guys..

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Yup "Magic" Mitch is doing his best "Brilliant" Barzal impersonation. :cool:

It's certainly impressive that a red hot Marner @ [.87 PPG] has closed the gap on Barzal @ [1.01 PPG] pace on the season.

If Marner didn't struggle early on, we might be having a photo finish here statistically & if Marner was in his rookie season he would certainly be giving Barzal a run for his money for the Calder alright.

Props to Mitch on his season, as he is having a barzalion like 2nd half.

Where was Barzal last year when Marner was flourishing in the NHL? They are both the same age, only differing in days, right? So your "Brilliant" Barzal is racking up points playing no defense at a year older than when Marner flourished in the NHL last year, and he still is not as good as Marner.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Where was Barzal last year when Marner was flourishing in the NHL? They are both the same age, only differing in days, right? So your "Brilliant" Barzal is racking up points playing no defense at a year older than when Marner flourished in the NHL last year, and he still is not as good as Marner.

Mess constantly throwing shade at Mitch for not being tall continues to be amusing.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Yup "Magic" Mitch is doing his best "Brilliant" Barzal impersonation. :cool:

It's certainly impressive that a red hot Marner @ [.87 PPG] has closed the gap on Barzal @ [1.01 PPG] pace on the season.

If Marner didn't struggle early on, we might be having a photo finish here statistically & if Marner was in his rookie season he would certainly be giving Barzal a run for his money for the Calder alright.

Props to Mitch on his season, as he is having a barzalion like 2nd half.

Dude this is a pathetic. Get a grip.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Eichel career PPG: 0.83
Marner career PPG: 0.83
same tier
meh not really comparable, ones a center on one of the worst offensive teams playing top comp, the other is a winger on a deep team playing occasional top comp. eichel is still quite a bit better imo, that buffalo team is so ass, players careers are dying there.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
meh not really comparable, ones a center on one of the worst offensive teams playing top comp, the other is a winger on a deep team playing occasional top comp. eichel is still quite a bit better imo, that buffalo team is so ass, players careers are dying there.

Not trying to get cute but:
1. You can score a lot on a weak team.
2. Jack plays WAY more minutes for his .83 PPG (Eichel: 20.03 TOI, 2.745 P/60) (Mitch: 16.19 TOI, 3.199 P/60). Eichel get 25% more ice time!
3. Recently Mitch has been getting more minutes (18-19 per game), and his scoring has risen to a 100+ point pace
4. Mitch can act

It's a lot closer than it was at the draft table in 2015.

Reactions: The Cobra

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Not trying to get cute but:
1. You can score a lot on a weak team.
2. Jack plays WAY more minutes for his .83 PPG (Eichel: 20.03 TOI, 2.745 P/60) (Mitch: 16.19 TOI, 3.199 P/60). Eichel get 25% more ice time!
3. Recently Mitch has been getting more minutes (18-19 per game), and his scoring has risen to a 100+ point pace
4. Mitch can act

It's a lot closer than it was at the draft table in 2015.
you can score a lot on weak teams but buffalos team is ass they're not the islanders, only one other player is likely going to finish with more then 5o points on that team.... you can also score a lot on a deep team, especially when you dont draw the hardest match ups ala marner, should be something like A versus B+(big of guess but should be close to what it actually is) going by zekes grading of qoc.

that and the nature of playing center is much harder then playing wing, i would say they're is still a sizable gap.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
you can score a lot on weak teams but buffalos team is ass they're not the islanders, only one other player is likely going to finish with more then 5o points on that team.... you can also score a lot on a deep team, especially when you dont draw the hardest match ups ala marner, should be something like A versus B+(big of guess but should be close to what it actually is) going by zekes grading of qoc.

that and the nature of playing center is much harder then playing wing, i would say they're is still a sizable gap.

You only have to look at the way Marner carried this team with Matthews being injured and on the sidelines. He's an elite winger that drives any line he plays on. The gap is not sizable at all. Look at the awards that Patrick Kane had won as a "winger". Being a centre doesn't automatically make you a better player.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
You only have to look at the way Marner carried this team with Matthews being injured and on the sidelines. He's an elite winger that drives any line he plays on. The gap is not sizable at all. Look at the awards that Patrick Kane had won as a "winger". Being a centre doesn't automatically make you a better player.
marner is great and helped propelled this team in the playoffs and in my opinion has been the 3rd most valuable player to the team this season, with all that said kane is one of few game breaking wingers who can change a team, his playoffs runs are crazy, marner isn't near that yet at all.

I love mitch hes hot right now and our best forward no doubt. But comparing marner and eichel is just not far, the gap at draft was dumb in hindsight, but eichel is still half a notch above marner for sure right now imo.

ARoggy94

Dec 9, 2013
Ottawa
I think Eichel is better but to say they're not even comparable is asinine. Marner drives his line in the offensive zone better than an Leaf forward I've seen

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

30 points in the last 20 games. Sorry but the only gap is not recognizing just how impactful Mitch has been. That is a pace of 124 pts that is crazy good.

His line mates Kadri is 20 pts in last 20 games.

Marleau is 15 pts in last 20.

All this playing against the other teams best lines.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
30 points in the last 20 games. Sorry but the only gap is not recognizing just how impactful Mitch has been. That is a pace of 124 pts that is crazy good.

His line mates Kadri is 20 pts in last 20 games.

Marleau is 15 pts in last 20.

All this playing against the other teams best lines.
yawn, sample size there. do it for a a season.... i already stated how good marner has been right now, rehashing it doesnt make it more impressive. Marner also has 50 points in his last 50 games doesnt change anything.
until marner can sustain this play you cant say hes in the same tier as eichel(yeah ik hes hasnt done it either but likely could have if given the chance)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad