Mitch Marner vs Mikko Rantanen

Who would you take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I honestly don’t think there’s a huge difference here. Marner drives play a little better, Rantanen scores more.

Personally, I think Rantanen is a bit more unique with the size he brings to the table. He’s finally learning how to use it defensively this season too.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Its funny when they talk about matthews, the only thing that matters is goals, especially 5v5.

Then when marner comes up goals are secondary and points matter far more.

Its strange how they don't even seem to notice the constant flip flopping.

Constant flip flopping you say?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Goal scorer has more goals than playmaker. In other news, water is wet. Meanwhile, Marner is a better point and primary point producer, and unlike Rantanen, PKs.

If 2 point pace on points is a better point producer ok. Not even comparable to a 30 vs 50 goal pace.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Goal scorer has more goals than playmaker. In other news, water is wet. Meanwhile, Marner is a better point and primary point producer, and unlike Rantanen, PKs.
Pavel Bure played PK, doesn't mean he was good defensively. I don't see any difference in their defensive game. Rantanen more than makes up for it, whatever difference they may have with his size and physical game.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
If 2 point pace on points is a better point producer ok.
The gap is bigger than that when not intentionally ignoring their respective situations, as shown in post #490.
Pavel Bure played PK, doesn't mean he was good defensively.
I didn't actually say anything about defensive ability, though that's another point in Marner's favour, now that you mention it.
Rantanen more than makes up for it, whatever difference they may have with his size and physical game.
Not sure why you think size matters, if you're not getting better results from it.

Last edited:

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Its funny when they talk about matthews, the only thing that matters is goals, especially 5v5.

Then when marner comes up goals are secondary and points matter far more.

Its strange how they don't even seem to notice the constant flip flopping.
I’m sure they do.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The gap is bigger than that when not intentionally ignoring their respective situations, as shown in post #490.

I didn't actually say anything about defensive ability, though that's another point in Marner's favour, now that you mention it.

Not sure why you think size matters, if you're not getting better results from it.

Post 490 , you responded to a poster who said the players were basically the same other than their rookie seasons, and then you chose to not include their sophomore season, in your rebuttal, how convenient.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Lol...19 goals in 24 games against SJ, ANA, ARI & LA

Against VGA, MINN, STL...7 goals in 19 games

Talk about bottom feeding.
Doesnt Matthews have by far his best stats against Ottawa? It’s almost like players get more points against weaker competition

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Post 490 , you responded to a poster who said the players were basically the same other than their rookie seasons, and then you chose to not include their sophomore season, in your rebuttal, how convenient.
I did the past 3 seasons, as looking on Naturalstattrick (which limits to 3 seasons) is easier than doing the calculations manually, and that sample represents the sample where they had similar roles, instead of including a season 4 years ago where Rantanen played with Mackinnon, and Marner played on the 3rd line with Bozak.

It doesn't even really change anything when we include their sophomore seasons anyway...

Since 2017-2018...

ES P/60

Marner: 2.80
Rantanen: 2.58

PP P/60

Marner: 7.00
Rantanen: 6.50

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Doesnt Matthews have by far his best stats against Ottawa? It’s almost like players get more points against weaker competition
Matthews has feasted on everyone...unlike Rantanen who still hasnt scored against vegas.
Don't know why you bring up Matthews though

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Probably because there's no such thing as a good team in the North.

I'd take 4 teams in the West before Toronto in a playoff series.
You might but if you average out points last year, the West is the weakest division.
Just saying that there isnt anything to support your assertion.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
You might but if you average out points last year, the West is the weakest division.
Just saying that there isnt anything to support your assertion.
The bottom teams are irrelevant to this discussion. The California teams are bad but I'd take Colorado, Vegas, St Louis and Minnesota over Toronto in a series.

Reactions: Garthinater

CTZ181

Jan 18, 2021
Marner's absolutely elite defensively and I think it gets overlooked. I see Matthews was in the media today pointing out he doesn't get enough credit. I don't think there is a single winger in the league I'd rather have.

Reactions: Garthinater

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
The bottom teams are irrelevant to this discussion. The California teams are bad but I'd take Colorado, Vegas, St Louis and Minnesota over Toronto in a series.
You're free to take whoever you choose.
You just wont be choosing the better team

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Mhm, not really.

Maybe if you want to lose.
Funny for a team who hasn't made it out the first round in like 16 years. Pretty sure a Franchise with a record like that would've folded already if it wasn't in Toronto :laugh:
But but our cups! With 6 teams in the league it's less impressive than winning the Grey Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad