Mitch Marner vs Mikko Rantanen

Who would you take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Matthews has feasted on everyone...unlike Rantanen who still hasnt scored against vegas.
Don't know why you bring up Matthews though
Matthews was brought up already, not by me. And no, he doesn’t “feast on everyone”. Many teams though.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Marner's absolutely elite defensively and I think it gets overlooked. I see Matthews was in the media today pointing out he doesn't get enough credit. I don't think there is a single winger in the league I'd rather have.
He is not elite defensively. This is almost as overused as generational already

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Not sure why you think a decade and a half ago is relevant to the team's quality in the current year.
Tell me again how much success the current core has had. Is it the choke against Boston? Losing to Columbus in the play ins? Losing to the Zamboni driver? Or losing to Covid Canucks?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Marner's absolutely elite defensively and I think it gets overlooked. I see Matthews was in the media today pointing out he doesn't get enough credit. I don't think there is a single winger in the league I'd rather have.

I don't think Marner gets enough credit for his part in the season Matthews is having.

And I know that's going to ruffle feathers because people will take that to mean I'm saying Matthews is a product of Marner. But that's not the point. The point is that Marner creates so many opportunities for Matthews in the first place to allow him to do what he does best.

It's like when Brett Hull was scoring 70 and 80 goals. Yes, it was his shooting ability that allowed him to score that many goals. But a lot of credit also goes to Adam Oates for creating a lot more opportunities for Hull than most centers would have been able to create for him.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Tell me again how much success the current core has had.
Making the playoffs every single year after finishing last place, and then going to the limit and losing to some of the best teams and best defensive teams in the entire league, with their best players at age 19-22, never losing to a team with less points than them, is not a valid reason to write an improved version of that team off against worse teams this year.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
I don't think Marner gets enough credit for his part in the season Matthews is having.

And I know that's going to ruffle feathers because people will take that to mean I'm saying Matthews is a product of Marner. But that's not the point. The point is that Marner creates so many opportunities for Matthews in the first place to allow him to do what he does best.

It's like when Brett Hull was scoring 70 and 80 goals. Yes, it was his shooting ability that allowed him to score that many goals. But a lot of credit also goes to Adam Oates for creating a lot more opportunities for Hull than most centers would have been able to create for him.

Seems like almost every player that gets to play with marner ends up having an awesome season. He's just so creative its insane.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Making the playoffs every single year after finishing last place, and then going to the limit and losing to some of the best teams and best defensive teams in the entire league, with their best players at age 19-22, never losing to a team with less points than them, is not a valid reason to write an improved version of that team off against worse teams this year.

You could've just said "none" instead of this rambling nonsense.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
You are the first Leaf fan to admit there is a pretty significant gap in goals. Not only that, playoffs aren't flattering for Marner either.
i agree Rantanen is a more polished playoff performer but i would like to see Marner in a good run before the jury is out on him. but i do admit Rantanen has the clear upper hand at the moment.

Reactions: Dache

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
goals are goals man. if there is a 20 goal gap in 82 game pace you have to admit there is a clear advantage.
I dont value goals a lot higher than primary assists, of which Marner has a ton of relative to Rantanen. There isnt a parallel universe that has Rantanen as a better player. He is good but he ain't that good.

Reactions: Garthinater

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Can't go wrong with either. Maybe Rantanen is bit more dependent on who he plays with. Marner probably can make 4th liners 20 goal scorers.

On the other hand Rantanen seems to step up a notch in the playoffs and Marner has struggled quite a bit.

I'll go with too close to call. Depending on your situation you could legitimately pick either one and be completely happy.

Reactions: Mac Attack

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Tell me again how much success the current core has had. Is it the choke against Boston? Losing to Columbus in the play ins? Losing to the Zamboni driver? Or losing to Covid Canucks?

No doubt they've written their history in stone by their early 20's.

You trying to set a record for silly points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad