Mitch Marner vs Mikko Rantanen

Who would you take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Not really. If you’re going to use PPG as a criteria then games played doesn’t matter as much as you’re making it out to be. You’re stressing reasons to make it seem like a bigger gap than it is

Isn't games played a big part of the equation?

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Everyone shits on Marner for playing in the North division cause the defense is so bad, so the same logic should apply to the playoffs: Marner's faced nothing but elite defensive teams in the playoffs, meanwhile Rantanen has played against Martin Jones and the Arizona Coyotes. Also I doubt Rantanen's ever played in the playoffs with a center as bad as 33 year old Tomas Plek
Rantanen had 6 points in 5 games against Zona. Lets not act like his stats are totally inflated because of one series with a bad team.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Everyone shits on Marner for playing in the North division cause the defense is so bad, so the same logic should apply to the playoffs: Marner's faced nothing but elite defensive teams in the playoffs, meanwhile Rantanen has played against Martin Jones and the Arizona Coyotes. Also I doubt Rantanen's ever played in the playoffs with a center as bad as 33 year old Tomas Plek

2020 CLB - goals allowed- 187
2020 Arizona- goals allowed -187

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Marner does produce more during the regular season. However, he also has clearly not been as solid as Rantanen when it all matters. Somehow this is always ignored by Leafs fans.

Playoffs
Marner 0.84 PPG
5G 16A 21TP 26 Games

Rantanen 1.18 PPG
13G 26A 39TP 33 Games
Probably why Eichel keeps winning polls against Matthews.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
What does Matthews or Eichel have to do with this thread? Why are you intentionally derailing threads?
Fitting in with the crowd. If playoff stats matter here, they should with Eichel and Matthews. But as you, Targaryen and Wetcoast know, they don't.

Reactions: Atomos2

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Fitting in with the crowd. If playoff stats matter here, they should with Eichel and Matthews. But as you, Targaryen and Wetcoast know, they don't.
And if goals matter in every Matthews thread then they should here too right? Or is it only the things that fit your agenda to drag Matthews into this that matter?

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
And if goals matter in every Matthews thread then they should here too right? Or is it only the things that fit your agenda to drag Matthews into this that matter?
I've got no agenda here. I've never posted my feelings over who I think is better here. So you have no idea who I rate higher. You've just made it up. Goals should absolutely count for more at 5vs5. Hardest thing to do in hockey.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Im gonna change my vote on this one. I had Marner better than Rantanen going into this year ( i think he was better last year), but Rantanen has had a better season this year i'll admit.

Rantanen really stepped it up in the goal scoring department. 4th in the league right now and playing to about a 50 goal pace over 82.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I've got no agenda here. I've never posted my feelings over who I think is better here. So you have no idea who I rate higher. You've just made it up. Goals should absolutely count for more at 5vs5. Hardest thing to do in hockey.
I never said your agenda was saying Marner was better. I said it was to drag this thread into something about Matthews. Which you did. So what have I made up?

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Rantanen had 6 points in 5 games against Zona. Lets not act like his stats are totally inflated because of one series with a bad team.
Yeah but I'd like to see Rantanen play an entire series getting matched against the best defensive line in the history of the NHL. I'm not saying Rantanen is not better than Marner. Just that the stats you posted are a bit misleading

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
No idea.

He doesn't get nearly enough respect. At age 23, he's already had a 94 point season, followed by last year's 93 point pace, and this year, he's 3rd in the league in scoring, pacing for 102 points. He's KILLER, but polls like this show how little non Leaf fans think of him. Hell, even some Leaf fans are way too hard on him. Not sure why.
I'm not sure that it's straight up disrespect. There is probably some antileaf bias mixed in. You could argue that the results should be flipped. But the players are close. I'm an Av's fan that would give Marner an edge in the regular season but not in playoffs with reffing changing how it does. Also both players are clearly more valuable to their respective teams than they would be on each others. Perfect fit for both.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
they pretty much equal outside of Rantanen rookie year
Except they're not.

Since 2018-2019...

ES P/60

Marner: 3.03
Rantanen: 2.67

PP P/60

Marner: 6.35
Rantanen: 6.29

It's just that instead of getting pumped full of ridiculous amounts of PP time, Marner PKs.
2020 CLB - goals allowed- 187
2020 Arizona- goals allowed -187
Difference is, Columbus got that result by being the best defensive team in the league, and Arizona got that result by being a below average defensive team that got carried by goaltending. And then in the playoffs, Columbus got a record-setting performance from their goaltending, and Arizona's goaltending fell off a cliff. So no, not really the same thing.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Im gonna change my vote on this one. I had Marner better than Rantanen going into this year ( i think he was better last year), but Rantanen has had a better season this year i'll admit.

Rantanen really stepped it up in the goal scoring department. 4th in the league right now and playing to about a 50 goal pace over 82.
Rantanen is tied for 14th in primary points while Marner is tied for second.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Rantanen is tied for 14th in primary points while Marner is tied for second.
Marner has impressed me this year and taken the next step as well. i can see this being due to his elite playmaking ability. but i dont think it can make up for the large gap in goal production. 30 goal pace vs 50 goal pace. while producing very similarly points wise (99 pace for Rantanen 101 point pace for Marner)

one thing that does make it closer for Marner is he is a much better defensive player, and penalty killer. so it is close and can go either way. i just value goals more than most things.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Marner has impressed me this year and taken the next step as well. i can see this being due to his elite playmaking ability. but i dont think it can make up for the large gap in goal production. 30 goal pace vs 50 goal pace. while producing very similarly points wise (99 pace for Rantanen 101 point pace for Marner)

one thing that does make it closer for Marner is he is a much better defensive player, and penalty killer. so it is close and can go either way. i just value goals more than most things.

good points, large gap in goal production, but similar point production.

Reactions: CatchyTune

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015

Its funny when they talk about matthews, the only thing that matters is goals, especially 5v5.

Then when marner comes up goals are secondary and points matter far more.

Its strange how they don't even seem to notice the constant flip flopping.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016

You are the first Leaf fan to admit there is a pretty significant gap in goals. Not only that, playoffs aren't flattering for Marner either.

Reactions: CatchyTune

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Still going with Rantanen, because of the style he plays. When you look at who the play with (Rantanen with MacKinnon, Marner with Matthews), both Marner and Rantanen are the perfect complementary players for their respective partners. Not sure how it would work if you switch them up, probably not as well.

If you look at it objectively, I think you can give the edge for Marner because he plays on the PK, Rantanen does not.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

You must really rank 7 power play goals significantly because there is only a 1 goal difference 5x5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad