Mitch Marner vs Mikko Rantanen

Who would you take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Matthews was brought up already, not by me. And no, he doesn’t “feast on everyone”. Many teams though.
Da f*** is this? He's the only player in the league to score at least 5 goals on every team in his division, how is that not feasting on everyone?

I know you really, really hate toronto and their fans but come on, blatant ignorance here.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Funny for a team who hasn't made it out the first round in like 16 years. Pretty sure a Franchise with a record like that would've folded already if it wasn't in Toronto :laugh:
But but our cups! With 6 teams in the league it's less impressive than winning the Grey Cup.

Go to the Montreal board and say this. Triple dog dare you.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Da f*** is this? He's the only player in the league to score at least 5 goals on every team in his division, how is that not feasting on everyone?

I know you really, really hate toronto and their fans but come on, blatant ignorance here.
Oh here we go again. So now we’re shifting it to this division? That’s not what was being talked about. Did you bother to actually read the exchange or just jump at the opportunity to call me a leaf hater for yet again zero reason? Look at his stats again the blues, blue jackets, the preds, then bitch at me for saying he doesn’t “feast on everyone”. I’m sure you’ll avoid responding like usual though.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I don't think many can actually quantify what is great defensively, by any player.

I can say he has already taken Stone's takeaway crown.
And that is definitely a part of being good/great defensively. But again not the be all end all. I’m not saying he’s bad defensively as much as some leaf fans would like to try to say. He’s good, very good. But there’s seems to be a trend with calling any player that’s good defensively elite, any player that gets some points a line driver etc.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Oh here we go again. So now we’re shifting it to this division? That’s not what was being talked about. Did you bother to actually read the exchange or just jump at the opportunity to call me a leaf hater for yet again zero reason? Look at his stats again the blues, blue jackets, the preds, then bitch at me for saying he doesn’t “feast on everyone”. I’m sure you’ll avoid responding like usual though.
He feasts on everyone, picking random teams he barely plays (and literally cant play this season) from past years is useless, as per usual with you. Scores against every team more times this season than anybody else, its a fact [mod].

Last edited by a moderator:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Not sure how its relevant to me commenting on totals and PPG statistics poster i quoted provided.
It's relevant because you're drawing conclusions from the statistics in the other post that are incorrect, by ignoring things like the statistics I provided.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Umm...last season Matthews had:
2 goals in 2 gms vs Blues
4 goals and 4 assists in 7 gms vs BJs
1 goal in 1 gm vs Preds

Better go back to the scrapbook and try to pick some other teams

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
What was incorrect about statistics i commented on?
It misrepresented the gap between Marner and Rantanen's production levels, as it ignored the significant PP time advantage that Rantanen received in comparison.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Umm...last season Matthews had:
2 goals in 2 gms vs Blues
4 goals and 4 assists in 7 gms vs BJs
1 goal in 1 gm vs Preds

Better go back to the scrapbook and try to pick some other teams
Ok, Coyotes, Hurricanes, Penguins, Flyers, Kings.
You need to stop getting so upset about people not even saying negative things about Matthews. I’ve even said he feasts on most teams and he does really well against everyone else. Youre getting upset literally because someone is disagreeing with the term “feasts on everyone”. You’re trying way to hard to make this a leaf hate or Matthews hate thing.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Ok, Coyotes, Hurricanes, Penguins, Flyers, Kings.
You need to stop getting so upset about people not even saying negative things about Matthews. I’ve even said he feasts on most teams and he does really well against everyone else. Youre getting upset literally because someone is disagreeing with the term “feasts on everyone”. You’re trying way to hard to make this a leaf hate or Matthews hate thing.
I'm just pushing you to be accurate that's all. If you're gonna make comments about Matthews' difficulty good defensive teams, you should do the research first to make sure because it can easily be checked or hell even remembered.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I'm just pushing you to be accurate that's all. If you're gonna make comments about Matthews' difficulty good defensive teams, you should do the research first to make sure because it can easily be checked or hell even remembered.
So you’re pushing me to be accurate when I’ve pointed out several teams that he hasn’t “feasted on” yet you’re not going to check the accuracy of the poster that I commented on, yet I’m somehow the hater in this scenario?

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
So you’re pushing me to be accurate when I’ve pointed out several teams that he hasn’t “feasted on” yet you’re not going to check the accuracy of the poster that I commented on, yet I’m somehow the hater in this scenario?
Well tbh, technically he's more accurate than you were. Even the teams you mentioned in your previous post he's had some positive production against those teams. Coming into the season the only team that could really make your argument was Calgary because that was the only team he had never scored against. But clearly that's not the case now....

Last edited:
Reactions: Sundinisagod

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
S
Well tbh, technically he's more accurate than you were. Even the teams you mentioned in your previous post he's had some positive production against those teams. Coming into the season the only team that could really make your argument was Calgary because that was the only team he had never scored against. But clearly that's not the case now....
So scoring a single goal is feasting. Understood. Tbh technically that’s not how it works. I never said he’s a bad player. I actually said he feasts on most teams. You guys are blowing this way out of proportion to try to make me look like I’m crapping on him when I’m not.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
So scoring a single goal is feasting. Understood. Tbh technically that’s not how it works. I never said he’s a bad player. I actually said he feasts on most teams. You guys are blowing this way out of proportion to try to make me look like I’m crapping on him when I’m not.
Scoring a single goal in a single game. What is your metric for feasting? Hattricks in the one or two times he plays the team? Let's just say, if you are trying to come up with a team that can effectively consistently shut Matthews down, its way harder to make that argument. Especially considering the significant steps forward he takes every year.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Scoring a single goal in a single game. What is your metric for feasting? Hattricks in the one or two times he plays the team? Let's just say, if you are trying to come up with a team that can effectively consistently shut Matthews down, its way harder to make that argument. Especially considering the significant steps forward he takes every year.
I know it’s hard to make that argument, I literally said he feasts on most teams in my first post but for some reason that’s not enough for a handful of you. I’m not even sure what you’re trying to argue at this point. Are you honestly trying to tell me that 3 goals 0 assists in 8 games is feast on the blues? 3 goals 0 assists in 7 games is feasting on the preds? 3 goals 1 assist in 8 games is feasting on the yotes? The conversation was never just about the North division because that’s not what the original poster was talking about when he said “Matthews feasts on everyone”. Now you’re trying to move goal posts around to turn it into something different all to try to make it look like someone is hating on Matthews when in reality no one is. He’s a fantastic player, some posters just take their fandom a touch far the odd time.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
This is the 3rd time in the last 4 seasons Rantanen has had a higher points per game than Marner. If you combine regular season + playoff points this is actually the fourth consecutive season where Rantanen beats Marner in points per game. The only season where Marner beat him would be their rookie seasons.

I think it’s close between the two. But it’s certainly time for Leafs fans to stop with the “lol” and “Nylander is a better comparison” comments.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
This is the 3rd time in the last 4 seasons Rantanen has had a higher points per game than Marner. If you combine regular season + playoff points this is actually the fourth consecutive season where Rantanen beats Marner in points per game. The only season where Marner beat him would be their rookie seasons.

I think it’s close between the two. But it’s certainly time for Leafs fans to stop with the “lol” and “Nylander is a better comparison” comments.

Where have you seen the Nylander comp ? Nylander is an incredible player but the above 2 are clearly better/more consistent at this point.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Where have you seen the Nylander comp ? Nylander is an incredible player but the above 2 are clearly better/more consistent at this point.

There was a comment made by one of the over the top Leaf homers in either this thread or one of the other dozen Marner vs. Rantanen threads that said (paraphrase) something to the effect of "Marner and it's not close. Nylander is a better comparison for Rantanen".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->