Mitch Marner or Johnny Gaudreau

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
I feel like you've actually never see Mitch Marner play.

Is Gaudreau smarter and more tenacious? Since entering the league, the only forwards with more takeaways than Mitch Marner are Mark Stone and Connor McDavid. No forward has more giveaways than Johnny Gaudreau during this span, and he leads that category by a country mile. Marner hits and blocks shots much more often as well, and by "much more often" I mean he actually does those things.

Marner is pretty obviously driving his line, all you have to do is watch the games. Or just notice that he's on pace to finish about 20 points ahead of Tavares. Just look at the goals JT is scoring this year. Tap-ins on the crease, coming from Marner. Marner doesn't get phantom assists, they're virtually all primary points. If someone has the stats for this, send me the link.

Marner would have to score at the worst pace of his career from here on out to finish under a PPG. But it's true he has yet to record a point-per-game season at age 21. For comparison, Gaudreau was coming off 3 consecutive PPG seasons at Boston College at this age (although he wouldn't do it in the NHL until age 24).

Gaudreau has more giveaways because he is relied on to be the Flames entire offensive distributor and has had that role his entire time in the NHL.

So would you say Monahan is better than Tavares?

Sure Marner might hit PPG quicker than Gaudreau did but Gaudreau also broke into the league in a year where Jiri Hudler finished 8th in scoring with 76 points (All on the back of Gaudreau mind you). Benn won the Art Ross with 87 points that year. Benn would get 2nd place the next year with 89 points. Crosby would get 2nd place the year after with 89 points.

Last year was the first time there was more than one player with more than 90 points since Gaudreau entered the league. Gaudreau had his 2nd point per game season despite the Flames essentially giving up after March due to Smith's and Tkachuks injury and Monahan playing with a broken wrist. Before March he was in the top 3 in scoring for pretty much the entire year. Now that everyone ishealed he's right back in that conversation.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Marner didnt start producing at Gaudreaus rate until he got Tavares as his centre. Marner has exceeded my expectations but i still take Gaudreau easily as he is the type of player who can drive a whole team. Idk if Marner is that type of player. Including contracts it sways it even more.

Oh man this is wrong on so many levels. Marner drives the line he's on, him and gaudreau are both very similar players. In terms of consistency, he's the best player on the team. Saying he rides Tavares is like saying Gaudreau rides Monahan. Seriously...

When you put good players with other good players, they tend to score a lot. Marner is the driver on the line believe it or not.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

this list is a little misleading because guys were left off of it for playing a small number of games in a "cup of coffee" season. For example, Gaudreau played 1 game in '13/'14 with a goal, then had 40+ assists in every season after, so the 1 game he played that year disqualifies him from it which seems like a tiny technicality

it's still impressive for Marner

Reactions: Snakepit and Mitts

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
this list is a little misleading because guys were left off of it for playing a small number of games in a "cup of coffee" season. For example, Gaudreau played 1 game in '13/'14 with a goal, then had 40+ assists in every season after, so the 1 game he played that year disqualifies him from it which seems like a tiny technicality

it's still impressive for Marner
I thought in a situation like that if a player only played 1 game they don't count it as 1 season? Kind of like when a player on a ELC plays 9 games, gets sent back to his junior team so they don't burn 1 year of his contract.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I thought in a situation like that if a player only played 1 game they don't count it as 1 season? Kind of like when a player on a ELC plays 9 games, gets sent back to his junior team so they don't burn 1 year of his contract.
I think this is a list that someone just looked at literally the 1st season they played in and started counting, otherwise Gaudreau should be there and I'm sure there's others

Yasuo

Sep 7, 2016
Gaudreau has 55 points in 40 games
Marner has 53 points in 39 games

Their production is close but one is playing with Tavares and the other one carrying Monahan.
Give me Gaudreau even if he's 4 years older his contract is a steal at this point

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Marner is special and people need to realize that. When Someone is comparable to a talent like Gaudreau offensively while being responsible defensively (that bodes well for the future)

Reactions: Kelly

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Marner is special and people need to realize that. When Someone is comparable to a talent like Gaudreau offensively while being responsible defensively (that bodes well for the future)

His passing is comparable to Gaudreau's (Gaudreau still better) but as far as scoring goals goes,Gaudreau is far far superior that no tiny bit of defensive responsibility makes up for it.

Reactions: Snowman

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

Their production is close but one is playing with Tavares and the other one carrying Monahan.
Give me Gaudreau even if he's 4 years older his contract is a steal at this point
Gaudreau also plays with Lindholm while Marner has to carry Hyman. Marner also gets way less PP time and more PK time

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Gaudreau also plays with Lindholm while Marner has to carry Hyman. Marner also gets way less PP time and more PK time
Lindholm's career year was, oh it's actually this year. 44 points, career high...in 40 games with Gaudreau. He's producing at more than double rate he did last year.

(Edit, actually had 45 points once)

Reactions: Yasuo

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Gotta go with Johnny... just for the pure entertainment value alone. He's the most dynamic and entertaining players in the game today. He has the ability to make any player in the league look like a pylon. Nobody can dangle and twist and turn like Johnny.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Lindholm's career year was, oh it's actually this year. 44 points, career high...in 40 games with Gaudreau. He's producing at more than double rate he did last year.

(Edit, actually had 45 points once)

Career high in goals already this year.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

Buoyued by a 5pt night, last night.
I'm totally ok with that. Marner did that 3x last season.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
MM is really good, but give me Johnny Hockey.
Tavares has 30 plus playing with Johnny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille