• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Both are line drivers, but Gaudreau is required to do a little more.

Marner is younger, might even surpass Gaudreau in a couple of years but I’m still taking Gaudreau.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
With Hyman going down with injury, I can't wait for this nonsense of Hyman being of help to anyone go away. Tavares/Marner have looked incredible without Hyman. It's not Mitchy/Tavares who want Hyman on their line, it's Babcock.

Seriously, him being out for 3 weeks should make this pretty clear. It's very apparent that having another guy on the line with over a 2 out of 10 hands and hockey IQ is making things easier for them. Hyman is a good 3rd liner who should be on the 3rd line.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
so then you think there's at least 64 centers who are better than him at 5v5, care to show a list of those?

Well firstly I wouldn't say there are 64 true top 6 C's in the league. Probably closer to 45-50.

At 5v5, I'd take these guys over Monahan, in no order:

Crosby
McDavid
Malkin
Matthews
Eichel
Barkov
MacKinnon
Getzlaf
Aho
Larkin
Couturier
Backstrom
Kuznetsov
Barzal
Tavares
E Staal
J Staal
Keller
Petterson
Bergeron
Horvat
Seguin
O'Reilly
Point
Stamkos
Kadri
Scheifele
Nylander
Krejci
Pavelski
Couture
Turris
Duchene
Karlsson
Johansen
Draisaitl
Toews
Kopitar
Schenn
Stepan
Backlund
Trochek
Drouin
Lindholm
Hischier
Hayes
RNH
Dubois
Little
Johnson
Perreault
Zibanejad
Domi
Kerfoot
Schmaltz

I'd say Monahan at 5v5 is a high end 3C low end 2C. But again, he's much on the PP than a ton of the guys I've listed above because he's such a great finisher in the low slot - so overall I'd say he's a 2C. But in the other 95% of the ice he doesn't excel - he's a very poor puck carrier which really hurts the breakout, and is too slow to be effective defensively, especially off the cycle.

Look at some of the plays Tavares has made to set up Marner - you'll almost never see that from Monahan.

I'll finish by reiterating that Monahan is very much a product of his linemates - but that can be a good thing at times. If you play him with 3rd liners, he'll produce like a 3rd liner, if you play him with 2nd liners, he'll produce like a second liner. If you play Tavares with 3rd liners, he'll produce like a 1st liner.

I think the ideal spot for a guy like Monahan is as a top 6 winger - remove some of puck carrying & defensive responsibility.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Well firstly I wouldn't say there are 64 true top 6 C's in the league. Probably closer to 45-50.

At 5v5, I'd take these guys over Monahan, in no order:

Crosby
McDavid
Malkin
Matthews
Eichel
Barkov
MacKinnon
Getzlaf
Aho
Larkin
Couturier
Backstrom
Kuznetsov
Barzal
Tavares
E Staal
J Staal
Keller
Petterson
Bergeron
Horvat
Seguin
O'Reilly
Point
Stamkos
Kadri
Scheifele
Nylander
Krejci
Pavelski
Couture
Turris
Duchene
Karlsson
Johansen
Draisaitl
Toews
Kopitar
Schenn
Stepan
Backlund
Trochek
Drouin
Lindholm
Hischier
Hayes
RNH
Dubois
Little
Johnson
Perreault
Zibanejad
Domi
Kerfoot
Schmaltz

I'd say Monahan at 5v5 is a high end 3C low end 2C. But again, he's much on the PP than a ton of the guys I've listed above because he's such a great finisher in the low slot - so overall I'd say he's a 2C. But in the other 95% of the ice he doesn't excel - he's a very poor puck carrier which really hurts the breakout, and is too slow to be effective defensively, especially off the cycle.

Look at some of the plays Tavares has made to set up Marner - you'll almost never see that from Monahan.

I'll finish by reiterating that Monahan is very much a product of his linemates - but that can be a good thing at times. If you play him with 3rd liners, he'll produce like a 3rd liner, if you play him with 2nd liners, he'll produce like a second liner. If you play Tavares with 3rd liners, he'll produce like a 1st liner.

I think the ideal spot for a guy like Monahan is as a top 6 winger - remove some of puck carrying & defensive responsibility.
the way that the tiers are set is to the context of the league, if there's 64 top 6 jobs then the top 64 guys are top 6'ers by definition. There may be a tier that moves in and out of that caliber year to year if you want to add the "true" moniker to those who stay in that top 64 year over year then I think that's fair

in the list you have I see at least 3 guys who aren't centers, another 5-6 that Monahan is definitely better than, and another 12-13 that Monahan tiers in with. So that list of 55 dwindles to about 35 without much effort. You've also included 2 of his team mates. And if you're going to make a comparison based on the least offensively productive 2/3 to 3/4 of Monahan's career by virtue of removing the time spent with his best and one of his most common linemates, you should do the same to each guy you're comparing him with or it's just intentionally framing Monahan in a poorer light which will obviously give a false read

I do agree that Monahan is one of the centers who would probably be better as a winger, but he gets by at center and manages to be a slight help to very positive possession for his team. He's not a great two way player but manages to be effective enough in the type of offensive usage that his line gets, and will continue to get

Leafsrock95

Oct 4, 2014
Right now they are like even. Marner has more points but also better line mates. He is also younger and more well rounded so it should be him in the future. As it stands they are basically equal players.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Marner is the better /more complete player but gaudreau is going to undoubtedly have the better contract. Tough choice.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Gaudreau has 34% more powerplay time than Marner so far this year. Imagine if they had the same...
Gaudreau needs far more favorable minutes to even hang with Marner. The talent level between the two goes beyond point totals, Marner is a far more effective player across all 200 feet of the ice.

Reactions: weems

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
As a Leaf fan I’ll go with Gaudreau just because his contract is a steal... when Marner makes 10m. I’d take Gaudreau easily. Skill wise they are both about equal with slight edge to Marner based on age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad