• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Dang that's a dilly of a pickle.

Marner is younger and bigger, 21 and 6'0". Johnny is 25 and 5'9".

Of course I love Johnny, he's my boy and I pick him. And I don't think he's reached his peak potential yet either though he's 25. Just entering his prime.

On the flippity flip, the sky seems to be the limit for Mitch Marner.

Am I crazy or is this a tough choice?

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Honestly as phenomenal as Gaudreau is, I honestly would rather have Marner contracts not included. But Gaudreau's deal is definitely a steal.

Good on you for bringing up the contract. Totally relevant. Johnny had to be one of the unluckiest guys alive - one year away from a contract worth millions more per annum. But it is what it is. But Marner will be upwards of 10 mill at least. Johnny's under 7. Crazy times.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Good on you for bringing up the contract. Totally relevant. Johnny had to be one of the unluckiest guys alive - one year away from a contract worth millions more per annum. But it is what it is. But Marner will be upwards of 10 mill at least. Johnny's under 7. Crazy times.

Mep I think Forsberg has a even bigger of a steal of a contract.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I’d take Marner as the player.

I’d take Gaudreau considering likely contracts.

Reactions: Sk8M8

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Marner didnt start producing at Gaudreaus rate until he got Tavares as his centre. Marner has exceeded my expectations but i still take Gaudreau easily as he is the type of player who can drive a whole team. Idk if Marner is that type of player. Including contracts it sways it even more.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Marner didnt start producing at Gaudreaus rate until he got Tavares as his centre. Marner has exceeded my expectations but i still take Gaudreau easily as he is the type of player who can drive a whole team. Idk if Marner is that type of player. Including contracts it sways it even more.

Yeah, Gaudreau is a guy that we know when he is on is a top ten ish player in the league. The Flames have built around he and Monahan. Hard to know if Marner is that same centrepiece. I give Gaudreau the edge too.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

He started playing like this the second half of last year though once he was moved with Kadri. Tavares is obviously an elite player but Marner seems to be the bigger driver on that line.

I think offensively it's close, but a slight edge to Gaudreau as he's the better shooter and goalscorer, but Marner is the better defensive player. I like Marner's tenacity and I would prefer him on my team, but it's close enough that contracts included makes it Gaudreau

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Marner is the little engine that could. Gauds is great, don’t get me wrong (love him in my fantasy pool) but Marner is something else. After watching him play for two in a half seasons, his unpredictable plays are getting even more unpredictable if that makes sense.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017

This, inb4 Leafs fans start explaining about Babcock demoting him while playing plugs like Brown and Hyman endlessly on the top lines.

Also inb4 Leafs fans compare them at the same age showing how much better Marner is.

Clearly anyone that watches the Leafs knows what a product of Tavares Marner is, I mean without Tavares tapping in pucks into open nets Mitch creates, how would he get any points????

Oh and the Flames have no talent for Gaudreau to play with, so listing excellent Flames players is pointless.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Do many people know about this sub-forum? I'm a little disappointed this was moved here while at the same time understanding. But yeah . . . I had to search for this place. I don't know, kind of disappointed.

But the poll is good.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Equal offensively (you can even give a slight edge to Gaudreau if you want) but Marner is leaps and bounds better defensively.

Marner quite easily (especially when factoring age) although Gaudreau's contract makes it slightly closer.

Reactions: Zrinski

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
I prefer watching Marner but I can see why others would choose Johnny Hockey. It’s just a preference and it should be close.

Contracts considered Gaudreau will be the better deal.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Marner has been a Pt/GP player (which was essentially Gaudreau's peak prior to this season) for over 100 games now, of which about 30 involve Tavares.

On the whole both players are pretty even. I'd lean a little more towards Marner but in the sense that he's done it younger which leads to wondering if he has more room to grow than Gaudreau?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Still Gaudreau. Love both players, but could you imagine the point totals he'd be putting up with guys like Tavares and Matthews to pass to?

Impact on linemate production is also a noteworthy factor. Tavares is producing like he always has, meanwhile playing with Gaudreau has effectively doubled Lindolm's production.

I don't think you'd believe me if I told you at the start of the season that Lindholm and Tavares would have the same number of points at Christmas. Think about that.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Still Gaudreau. Love both players, but could you imagine the point totals he'd be putting up with guys like Tavares and Matthews to pass to?

Impact on linemate production is also a noteworthy factor. Tavares is producing like he always has, meanwhile playing with Gaudreau has effectively doubled Lindolm's production.

I don't think you'd believe me if I told you at the start of the season that Lindholm and Tavares would have the same number of points at Christmas. Think about that.

Or maybe Monahan and Lindholm are pretty decent players? Maybe a possibility?

As for the poll.... Leaf fans voted Marner > Gaudreau for the past 3 years... Surprise Surprise... the gap apparently is still big between them. At least we moved on from Nylander > Gaudreau.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Marner is the little engine that could. Gauds is great, don’t get me wrong (love him in my fantasy pool) but Marner is something else. After watching him play for two in a half seasons, his unpredictable plays are getting even more unpredictable if that makes sense.

I can tell you don't watch the Flames play, which is ok. But Gaudreau is a BIG engine for the Flames. The things you bring up about Marner, Gaudreau has been doing for several years now.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Seems like only yesterday people were saying Gaudreau is Marner's ceiling. I see them as dead even right now. They're both superstars. Obviously if I'm picking one going forward I take the 21 year old that has most likely got another level he hasn't hit yet.

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
Gaudreau quite easily. Marner couldn't carry a team like Johnny is doing. Also anyone discrediting Johnny's defensive game just doesnt pay attention... seems like Easterners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad