Tribute Mitch Marner - Lets Talk discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I agree it was an overpay with a CAP at 81.5M. But then you gotta consider if you are only going to get back 2 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder and 3rd rounder back is it worth it? It was a tough call I'm sure for Leafs brass. Not the $$$ itself that was chump change for Leafs but more the impact on the CAP itself and building a team with that constraint. But good news is in 2023 the CAP should explode if Gary gets that monster US TV deal done.

Right, Marner isn’t a cap dump. But if you can take $11m from the forwards on this team and move it to a comparable player or players on defense, I think you do it.

Ex: you would need to trade Kerfoot, Hyman, Clifford and Engvall to get a comparable amount of cap space to spend on the back end. Which package is more likely to get good players back there? And what forwards do you bring in if you gut 4 forwards off this team?

It just makes too much sense to use Marner to upgrade the defense.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I'll be the first one to tell you he's had a poor season and is definitely not looking like his normal self.

But the people saying "trade marner!" Are absolutely ridiculous.

If we traded everyone that had a down year in the past 10 seasons, we'd be left with absolutely no one. Newsflash: everyone has an off year every now and then. That's part of a career. And the last thing you should do is trade a star player in a down year.

In the grand scheme of things, this is probably good for him to get a little bashing from the fanbase after being spoon-fed for the past 10 years of his life.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I do think he deserves some credit for his play under Keefe. Under Babcock, he had just 48 xGF% and now he's been at 58%, which is 13th out of 208 forwards with at least 500 minutes played. He also went from no goals and 4 assists in 18 games at 5v5, to 7 goals and 28 points in 39 games

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
What kind of expectations do we have for Marner from a “buy in” point of view. We all know he’s a scrawny guy and not a bruiser, but is it reasonable to expect that he can provide as much physicality and puck retrieval as William Nylander? Does he need to work on bulking up? Or is that junior magician game going to be okay at 25-27?

If he played at the level that he did last season, he wouldn't be under so much scrutiny right now. But he has regressed, and that, combined with is cap hit, is a cause for concern.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
If he played at the level that he did last season, he wouldn't be under so much scrutiny right now. But he has regressed, and that, combined with is cap hit, is a cause for concern.
Has he regressed, or, is he just squeezing his stick too tight trying to do too much to prove his worth?

He takes an AAV of $8.5M, and no one, including me, complains IMHO.

Marner's greed, which might be a product of his Father, has him in this situation. He may never live up to that overpayment. Hopefully, he does some day soon, before it's too late to recover his reputation. Unfortunately, he just might have to do it on another NHL team. :dunno:

Last edited:

Strangle

May 4, 2009
This is a fan base (myself included) with low standards. We’ve been conditioned to except these losing skids and lack of effort.

Butcthere is no reason we can’t raise our standards. For the team and for the players. We have players who are amongst the highest paid in the league. Let’s hold them to it.

Reactions: Al14 and LeafsRus

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
"Hey, let's trade our 22 year old 90 point winger so we can bring in a 30 year old UFA defenseman!"
Didn't I make the argument against this earlier in this thread? This SCREAMS "McCauley and Boyes for Owen Nolan"...
For God's sake, how many people are already whining about Tavares slowing down? And you want to sign another 30 year old in hopes that you'll get the same production? Why do I think people will want $11 million Pieterangelo out of town in a year?

It has nothing to do with age or value. Like I was saying, there's a serious roster composition disparity with this group. Too much money on forwards, nothing left for a defence that has been the team's Achilles heal for as long as I can remember. Top pairing rhd are extremely rare. Name the last one that the leafs developed... I'll wait... You see my point? They're wasting an opportunity to win now with a very good but flawed core in its prime. They NEED to upgrade the D. If he gets there, Petro is the best defenseman to hit the open market in a long time and exactly what they need. It's not Marner for Peterangelo. You're not trading for him. You're signing him and dealing Marner to create the cap space. The team would be better off with Petro and the significant return that Marner would yield than they are now. Facts

Last edited:

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
It has nothing to do with age or value. Like I was saying, there's a serious roster composition disparity with this group. Too much money on forwards, nothing left for a defence that has been the team's Achilles heal for as long as I can remember. Top pairing rhd are extremely rare. Name the last one that the leafs developed... I'll wait... You see my point? They're wasting an opportunity to win now with a very good but flawed core in its prime. They NEED to upgrade the D. If he gets there, Petro is the best defenseman to hit the open market in a long time and exactly what they need. It's not Marner for Peterangelo. You're not trading for him. You're signing him and dealing Marner to create the cap space. The team would be better off with Petro and the significant return that Marner would yield than they are now. Facts

Id trade Marner for Petro in a second.
Get some cap space too to get some heavier players who crash the net and boards like hyman.

Too many skating danglers who admire passing too much.

Dubas needs to fix this or he can get run out of town

Reactions: Al14 and MJK

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Shift to shift in this Anaheim game, it’s hard to figure out what Marner’s even trying to accomplish.

Marner is a high ceiling kind of player which people fall in love with but he’s got a very low floor too.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Wanted to trade him before he signed his contract
Wanted to trade him the moment he signed the contract

I want Dubas to trade every moment since then, the only question I have is how much of his $11m does Toronto have to eat to get it done at the Draft

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I've said he should be reunited with Tavares for a while, but I wonder if time with Kerfoot on the third line is the best route right now. He's clearly not clicking with Matthews and you could throw Kapanen on the top line.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I argued recently nylander is moved way before marner if we add a guy like pietrangelo....I'm starting to think otherwise

His cute plays aren't so cute anymore

Nylander doesn’t put up the points Marner does but he also doesn’t revert to a junior player once in a while. We won’t discuss paycheques since that’s been covered.

Reactions: MJK

Chr1988

Feb 9, 2020
This team so needs the Patriots mentality next man up. Give ice time to those working hard pretty sad this team with these players are fighting for a playoff spot........

Reactions: MJK

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
it looks like keefe is no different from babcock in his absurd bias toward some players. marner is keefe's chosen one who can do no wrong. night in night out marner gives garbage effort and he just gets rewarded with more and more ice time.

Reactions: LeafsRus and MJK

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I'll be the first one to tell you he's had a poor season and is definitely not looking like his normal self.

But the people saying "trade marner!" Are absolutely ridiculous.

If we traded everyone that had a down year in the past 10 seasons, we'd be left with absolutely no one. Newsflash: everyone has an off year every now and then. That's part of a career. And the last thing you should do is trade a star player in a down year.

In the grand scheme of things, this is probably good for him to get a little bashing from the fanbase after being spoon-fed for the past 10 years of his life.

Evidence, see Nylander, William.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Marner should be mocked when seen in public. This “hometown” kid held the leafs hostage to make him the highest paid winger in the game.

He’s a loser just like his dad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad