Tribute Mitch Marner - Lets Talk discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Marner shouldnt be on social media if he feels it affects his play negatively, is it too much to ask to be 100% professional, yes we have a loud fan base, you knew this, but it was all fun until you asked to get payd as a super star and didnt follow it up on the ice. Now, deal with it

Marner did post a Red Bull ad on his social media today. Thought that was kinda funny.

EP40 AKA Lil Wayne

May 9, 2013
People go overboard, Matthew adressed this saying he stays of social media after a bad game so clearly it makes them feel bad. A person who feels down is not going to perform better. People talk way to much shit behind a screen, whatever they feel about a player at a certain point, its real people and in Marners case a young adult at that. Being drafted by Toronto is like being throwned to the wolfes.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Couldn’t have said it better myself.
It's time for mitch to own it
Keefe gave him and Mathews the chance to carry the freight
Mitch gagged
End of story
Nylander likely sealed his fate by coming back this year and owning up to his contract
Mitch flat out needs to lead any team he is on in scoring period
In the playoffs marner has to score close to a point per game pace to be worth his gold
Mitch was never gonna have it easy but this California road trip show flaws with him and Mathews together
I know injuries hurt but maybe Babcock knew that marner and Mathews will never mix long term

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm a big Marner supporter but I agree with you. Marner needed to sit last night to send a message. The only possible reason Marner is underperforming for this length of time better be some type of injury that he's nursing or I'm off the Keefe bandwagon real quick.

Underperforming........? What?

Last year 94 points in 82 games = 1.14 PPG
This year 65 points in 58 game = 1.12 PPG

Yes...Marner is underperforming by a whole point.....

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
Underperforming........? What?

Last year 94 points in 82 games = 1.14 PPG
This year 65 points in 58 game = 1.12 PPG

Yes...Marner is underperforming by a whole point.....
Mitch marner makes 10.89 million a year and he has 16 f***ing goals. If that isn’t underperforming, I don’t know what is.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Mitch marner makes 10.89 million a year and he has 16 f***ing goals. If that isn’t underperforming, I don’t know what is.

Marner was never advertised as a goal scorer. He always was, and always will be a playmaker first.

I get people are pissed about his contract, but let's not try and re-define what Marner is.

Edit: He's also only 2 goals behind his pace from last year,

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Marner was never advertised as a goal scorer. He always was, and always will be a playmaker first.

I get people are pissed about his contract, but let's not try and re-define what Marner is.

I've asked in the past what peoples expectations of Marner are but they never seem to answer.
Could it be they just don't know?

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada

He’s a pass first winger. He should never have sniffed a penny over what Patrick Kane (at least Kane can score on top of being an elite playmaker) signed for cap percentage wise post-ELC. From the day he signed that contract, I knew he was overpaid.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I've asked in the past what peoples expectations of Marner are but they never seem to answer.

Yup. All this anger is because the team on a whole is underperforming, and Marner signed his massive contract. That makes him an easy target. Marner is not the reason this team is underperforming.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
He’s a pass first winger. He should never have sniffed a penny over what Patrick Kane (at least Kane can score on top of being an elite playmaker) signed for cap percentage wise post-ELC. From the day he signed that contract, I knew he was overpaid.
Sounds like your anger is misdirected.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Yup. All this anger is because the team on a whole is underperforming, and Marner signed his massive contract. That makes him an easy target. Marner is not the reason this team is underperforming.
Not the reason no but one of the reasons.
He does need to be better, good news is he can.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
Expectations? If he thinks he’s close to being as good as Auston Matthews, and better than Patrick Kane (he refused to sign for close to what Kane got post ELC), better start scoring more goals and producing more points.

My expectations for someone making 10.89 million a year? 40+ goals and 100+ points minimum. Solid two way play. Top 5 forward in the league.

He’s not that player so why did he think he should get that much money???

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario

Fair enough. It's what most people suggested. Just an FYI it's an overpayment of $1.8M. Kane's CH% when he signed his deal after ELC was 11.09, which would bring Marner's to $9.03M.

Being overpaid is different from underperforming though.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Expectations? If he thinks he’s close to being as good as Auston Matthews, and better than Patrick Kane (he refused to sign for close to what Kane got post ELC), better start scoring more goals and producing more points.

My expectations for someone making 10.89 million a year? 40+ goals and 100+ points minimum. Solid two way play. Top 5 forward in the league.

He’s not that player so why did he think he should get that much money???
Not expectations for someone making it, expectations for Marner.
No matter what Dubas was giving him he would never become a 40 goal scorer.
His Agent got him the money, it's Dubas' fault for giving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad