Tribute Mitch Marner - Lets Talk discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I love how we sh*t all over our hometown boys when they go through a rough patch - not. Mitch will get his game back and he along with Matty will decide where we go in our quest for the Cup. Nothin like TO fans to eat our own.
He is getting it already, the jump is back. Needs to get stronger still and relax to his patience level withthe puck a bit. All good for most part

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Yeup, I coached bantam level players with much better shots. And, those kids, via their parents, HAD TO PAY to play hockey!

This selfish brat held our Leafs hostage and stole money away from his teammates that can actually contribute more for the much smaller sums of money they are paid. That shootout attempt from Marner was just so unacceptable for a highly paid player.

If we fans see, and think this, I'm sure some of his teammates do too. There just might be some fractures in the dressing room.

JMHO.
Heh are you Donny from Kings? Ya know da Woodbridge guy. If u r then no one liked all the backstabbing on n54 and da we luv ya at da rink. There were sponsorships to cover Mitch. and as u know he wasn't alone. It is the way of the G and has been for many years. As a coach u would know.

Reactions: ACC1224

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
This is not a hot take, as Marner has made some big plays for us recently and throughout the season. But... it's becoming more and more apparent to me at least, that he is not capable of living up to his monster contract. I especially don't like his lackadaisical attitude and body language on the ice when things go wrong. It sets a terrible example for his teammates.

I really hope Dubas is at least willing to consider exploring Marner's trade value in the off season. We can probably get a very nice haul for him, and make much better use of almost 11 million in cap space.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Yeup, I coached bantam level players with much better shots. And, those kids, via their parents, HAD TO PAY to play hockey!

This selfish brat held our Leafs hostage and stole money away from his teammates that can actually contribute more for the much smaller sums of money they are paid. That shootout attempt from Marner was just so unacceptable for a highly paid player.

If we fans see, and think this, I'm sure some of his teammates do too. There just might be some fractures in the dressing room.

JMHO.

Oh the horror, those bantam babies need to be paid!!

Shoot out gaffs happen all the time to good players.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
He puts up points, but I can't stand his overall game of late. It's amazing that people jump on Nylander every time he's not running around the rink like a squirrel, but when Marner makes putrid giveaways, disengages completely on contact especially along the boards and is cheating on defense he hardly catches flack for that.

He's also been awful on the power play recently, trying to force cute passes to nowhere and losing possession...he's a big factor in why the PP has tailed off the last few games. Plus, since he has a muffin it hinders the set-up as he's not a shooting threat from his position at all, even though he's in a prime shooting location.

Last night's game (and hell San Jose outside of his ridiculous goal) was painful to watch for him; aside from overplaying the puck and the blind passes, I remember he was forechecking and Doughty had the puck behind the net and Mitch was right there and chose to not engage at all, probably because he was afraid to make contact.

I think he'll figure it out, just sucks that he's paid like he's already there.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
It's ironic that Marner has the skill set and speed I last remember seeing with Doug Gilmour. He has that potential. What he lacks, is the seriousness and sheer fierceness Gilmour brought. It's as if hockey is a fun escape but his real love is for something else. He has to be stronger on the puck also, Nylander has improved on this greatly this year.

I'm not sure why you guys are talking about trading Marner though. The return would have to be immense. You don't sign a talented young player to this big a contract with the intention of trading him. What you must do is surround him with more serious dudes who will rub off on him. Simply by osmosis, you will become more like those around you.

I repeat again, I don't see Marner as the problem. At least not yet. He isn't a role player, but he can block shots and hustle back like anyone else, he's done it. Look at how Matthews, Nylanders and even Hymans game have evolved, they are all more impressive this year than last.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
was there any actual evidence of this oversheet being real?

i only trade marner under 2 circumstances,
1: we sign pietro he will cost $11M and i really dont want 4 $11M guys
2: the deal is too good to turn down

In scenario 1 i would take a package of young lesser tier dman say a top 4 not top pair and 1st and top prospect

in scenario 2 an equal level of dman to marner as a forward. A seth Jones or rasmus dahlin or similar.

if neither of those are offered its an easy decision to keep marner
It was reported on, doubt anyone actually saw the offer but CBJs executive and Marners agent but there's strong indicators it was real

I agree on your scenarios for trading him, but he is tradable if we needed space

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Not to get all doom and gloom, but Marner seems like the most obvious core guy to get the boot if things continue to go sideways this year.

Can't see Dubas tinkering with the core at this stage (probably would give Keefe at least one full year first), but the pressure next year will be massive to make substabtial changes if Leafs miss the playoffs or go out with a whimper in the first round.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Dubas has got to trade him. Marners a stud and even that bloated contract is fine in vacuum but the way this team is constructed I don't see any other way to add the pieces needed to truly become a powerhouse and perennial contender.
Priority #1 should be adding Petro this summer. Trade Marner for future (2 firsts and an A prospect type deal), take his cap hit and give it to Pietrangelo. You still have Nylander & Kapanen as your top 6 RWs, both have looked very good down the stretch this season. Roll with Rielly & Petro as your top pairing with Muzzin and Holl on the 2nd, continue to develop the kids on D, and this team will finally have a strong Dcore to run with a still elite forward group. Draft and develop the assets acquired for Marner so you can slot them in when other guys age/price themselves out. It's the only way I see the team having long term success.
They'll be good enough to be a playoff team for the foreseeable future as is but not built for deep playoff runs otherwise

Reactions: stickty111

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
It was reported on, doubt anyone actually saw the offer but CBJs executive and Marners agent but there's strong indicators it was real

I agree on your scenarios for trading him, but he is tradable if we needed space

oh for sure he is, he is an elite player. We are lucky to have 3 elite forwards and nylander who also could be, alot of teams would cue up to take marner at full cap hit IF we ever wanted to

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I love how we sh*t all over our hometown boys when they go through a rough patch - not. Mitch will get his game back and he along with Matty will decide where we go in our quest for the Cup. Nothin like TO fans to eat our own.
This is why the Leafs never win anymore. The media and the fans are so quick to jump on the talented players, and they're ALWAYS thinking the grass is greener on the other side...
Anyone remember when Leaf fans were whining about getting Reilly instead of Trouba or Dumba or (FFS) Griffin Reinhart?
Anyone remember when the Leafs would have been better off with Noah Hanafin or Brad Werenski?

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Dubas has got to trade him. Marners a stud and even that bloated contract is fine in vacuum but the way this team is constructed I don't see any other way to add the pieces needed to truly become a powerhouse and perennial contender.
Priority #1 should be adding Petro this summer. Trade Marner for future (2 firsts and an A prospect type deal), take his cap hit and give it to Pietrangelo. You still have Nylander & Kapanen as your top 6 RWs, both have looked very good down the stretch this season. Roll with Rielly & Petro as your top pairing with Muzzin and Holl on the 2nd, continue to develop the kids on D, and this team will finally have a strong Dcore to run with a still elite forward group. Draft and develop the assets acquired for Marner so you can slot them in when other guys age/price themselves out. It's the only way I see the team having long term success.
They'll be good enough to be a playoff team for the foreseeable future as is but not built for deep playoff runs otherwise
"Hey, let's trade our 22 year old 90 point winger so we can bring in a 30 year old UFA defenseman!"
Didn't I make the argument against this earlier in this thread? This SCREAMS "McCauley and Boyes for Owen Nolan"...
For God's sake, how many people are already whining about Tavares slowing down? And you want to sign another 30 year old in hopes that you'll get the same production? Why do I think people will want $11 million Pieterangelo out of town in a year?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
This is why the Leafs never win anymore. The media and the fans are so quick to jump on the talented players, and they're ALWAYS thinking the grass is greener on the other side...
Anyone remember when Leaf fans were whining about getting Reilly instead of Trouba or Dumba or (FFS) Griffin Reinhart?
Anyone remember when the Leafs would have been better off with Noah Hanafin or Brad Werenski?

Well, the Leafs haven't won since 1967, and I don't think THN was a really big impact on the team at the time, nor the subsequent decades until we entered this current media environment.

I think we have to get some of the players time to grow up. The smooth ride to where they are hasn't prepared all of them for the daily grind of a professional player with a target on their back.

They aren't playing against the best players in their age group, in their regional area, they're playing against the best in the world every game.

I think they'll get it.

I'm still going to call a rotten tomato a rotten tomato, but that's just emotional response to poor play, and I'll cheer happily to good play. Most play is between poor and good.

Last edited:
Reactions: SwissButch

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
"Hey, let's trade our 22 year old 90 point winger so we can bring in a 30 year old UFA defenseman!"
Didn't I make the argument against this earlier in this thread? This SCREAMS "McCauley and Boyes for Owen Nolan"...
For God's sake, how many people are already whining about Tavares slowing down? And you want to sign another 30 year old in hopes that you'll get the same production? Why do I think people will want $11 million Pieterangelo out of town in a year?

Like I’ve said earlier, you can discuss the idea of moving Marner without bringing TML historical baggage into the equation. The merit of a potential Marner deal would have to be considered for what we get back and what we do with the cap space saved and what it does for the team moving forward.

Just because we traded a first round pick for Toskala didn’t mean we didn’t do the same with Andersen (which has largely worked out until this winter). Just because we drafted Luke Schenn with a top 5 pick doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have done so with Morgan Rielly.

Reactions: MJK

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What kind of expectations do we have for Marner from a “buy in” point of view. We all know he’s a scrawny guy and not a bruiser, but is it reasonable to expect that he can provide as much physicality and puck retrieval as William Nylander? Does he need to work on bulking up? Or is that junior magician game going to be okay at 25-27?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Rumour I heard was there were a few teams at 10.8M which was at level below 4 1st rounders as compensation ... and Leafs negotiated more AAV and front load to offset the tax disadvantage with Ontario and Canadian taxes. Dubie is not as stupid as many here think. Would he have signed elsewhere? Who knows? but his heart has always been here. You can't blame a guy for getting all he can for his family. Is it too much for Leafs probably yes for 2 more years. But in his 4th year if CAP goes to 100M+ like many are talking about then no. and we got 2 chances for a Cup.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
What kind of expectations do we have for Marner from a “buy in” point of view. We all know he’s a scrawny guy and not a bruiser, but is it reasonable to expect that he can provide as much physicality and puck retrieval as William Nylander? Does he need to work on bulking up? Or is that junior magician game going to be okay at 25-27?
That is a very good question? His type of game may get worse over time. In fact I would bet it does.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
All Marner has to do is simplify his game and slow it down. You people saying the Leafs have to trade him are insane.
Leaf nation the kingdom of holy hyperbole's.

Marner is an superstar. We have a franchise center and a franchise winger. A healthy rielly can be a franchise defender but is probably a stud 1D (level lower). We have a super star 1C in JT who is gonna get worse slowly. And to top it off we have a star 2 RW in Willy.

The past 2 years have been so disapointing relative to our high expectations we have lost focus. A team takes some time to build. We need a good playoff run and then re evaluate how this team can reach perennial cup contender status.

Maybe we have to sacrifice marner or nylander or someone else for that but we need to have some patience and see how we perform in the playoffs as a near fully healthy team with all of our big 4 playing like studs.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Rumour I heard was there were a few teams at 10.8M which was at level below 4 1st rounders as compensation ... and Leafs negotiated more AAV and front load to offset the tax disadvantage with Ontario and Canadian taxes. Dubie is not as stupid as many here think. Would he have signed elsewhere? Who knows? but his heart has always been here. You can't blame a guy for getting all he can for his family. Is it too much for Leafs probably yes for 2 more years. But in his 4th year if CAP goes to 100M+ like many are talking about then no. and we got 2 chances for a Cup.
I think Dubas had a pretty strong feeling there were some big cap increases coming as well and gambled that the bumps would help with the cap crunches, and honestly it looks like it's worked. If the cap goes to $85M, we can re-sign the important RFA's (Dermott, Mikheyev) and not have to trade anyone

but I do think there is significant returns out there for Marner even with his contract, which I think is about $1 to 1.5M too much and a year to two too short to be a market deal. So if the right opportunity comes along, I'm fine with pulling the trigger

Reactions: stickty111

Strangle

May 4, 2009

Cant blame him for that ... unless having him on the team is stopping the team from taking the next step or winning a cup.

I don’t think anyone minds paying that much cap for a player top 3 in league scoring or winning Art Ross or Rocket Richard trophy’s, or Stanley cups .... but ..... well, you know where I’m going

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Cant blame him for that ... unless having him on the team is stopping the team from taking the next step or winning a cup.

I don’t think anyone minds paying that much cap for a player top 3 in league scoring or winning Art Ross or Rocket Richard trophy’s, or Stanley cups .... but ..... well, you know where I’m going
I agree it was an overpay with a CAP at 81.5M. But then you gotta consider if you are only going to get back 2 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder and 3rd rounder back is it worth it? It was a tough call I'm sure for Leafs brass. Not the $$$ itself that was chump change for Leafs but more the impact on the CAP itself and building a team with that constraint. But good news is in 2023 the CAP should explode if Gary gets that monster US TV deal done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad