Tribute Mitch Marner - Lets Talk discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Marner should be mocked when seen in public. This “hometown” kid held the leafs hostage to make him the highest paid winger in the game.

He’s a loser just like his dad.
I think he should get a raise

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Marner should be mocked when seen in public. This “hometown” kid held the leafs hostage to make him the highest paid winger in the game.

He’s a loser just like his dad.

You know he was ready to sit out for more money until the pressure came from the fans and media when it was leaked that he rejected the Leafs lucrative 7 year offer back in June...now, that's a player you want to build a team with...all heart for the money!

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Kid needs to feel the heat for is lacklustre play... Sure his point totals are one thing but it's evident that he's not close to the same level he was the last season.

Hopefully he takes this off-season seriously.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Kid needs to feel the heat for is lacklustre play... Sure his point totals are one thing but it's evident that he's not close to the same level he was the last season.

Hopefully he takes this off-season seriously.
As long as his offseason is in another city

Reactions: MJK

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
You know he was ready to sit out for more money until the pressure came from the fans and media when it was leaked that he rejected the Leafs lucrative 7 year offer back in June...now, that's a player you want to build a team with...all heart for the money!
Funny to think the thing he wanted most could be the reason for his demise here.

He's gone from golden boy to goat real quick (and rightfully so with his play)

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
seems to have checked out ever since his sick goal against the canes. This team is capable of 5+ game win streaks with the real marner

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I've said he should be reunited with Tavares for a while, but I wonder if time with Kerfoot on the third line is the best route right now. He's clearly not clicking with Matthews and you could throw Kapanen on the top line.
Kapanen is a third liner. His lack of any IQ is alarming.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
As long as his offseason is in another city

But why? We know what he can do when he's on. This is the same shit that was said about Nylander this time last year, and look at how Nylander has responded this year.

Unless it's a smart, quality hockey trade (as in get a #1 d-man back) moving Marner currently is just dumb.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Kapanen is a third liner. His lack of any IQ is alarming.
Agreed, but you generally know what you'll get from him (up and down the wing with speed) and Marner's enough of a liability right now that it could be worth it.

Reactions: stickty111

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
But why? We know what he can do when he's on. This is the same shit that was said about Nylander this time last year, and look at how Nylander has responded this year.

Unless it's a smart, quality hockey trade (as in get a #1 d-man back) moving Marner currently is just dumb.
definitely.

he deserves to be called out right now but we'll be crying later if he's gone

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018

Even at his best he is not an $11 million player. It was an awful contract the day it was signed and it always will be. Maybe there is a team still willing to pay him that money (now that the leafs have paid a good chunk of it). If nothing else, it sends a message to the team that mercenaries will not be rewarded or tolerated

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Agreed, but you generally know what you'll get from him (up and down the wing with speed) and Marner's enough of a liability right now that it could be worth it.
We saw him hamstring every line he was on last year. Matthews especially.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I still think Marner's problem is he's too cocky with his god given skills so he barely trains or doesn't train hard. Allowing the rest of the league to catch up. He doesn't look that athletic or strong this season.

If you look up his draft year, he was bottom of the pack in terms of grip strength. Coincidence he only has like 3 goals in the last 2 months or more?

It's frustrating knowing he has a deficiency and isn't working hard to fix it.

I could be wrong and he's training his ass off but that's not the vibe I'm getting.

Reactions: kb

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Funny to think the thing he wanted most could be the reason for his demise here.

He's gone from golden boy to goat real quick (and rightfully so with his play)

I was upset Willy sat until Dec...angry that Matty's deal wasn't at least 6 years with that AAV...but the way Marner dealt with the Leafs on his contract negotiation really pi55ed me off! Got Dreger to push their agenda about their offersheet tour..."$12 to $13 million, and the action was brisk," Dreger the Puppet flaunted...Marner's camp never negotiated in good faith...after his 69 point season, they wanted $9 million per year...what a joke...they screamed that if Marner hit 100 pts, he deserved $10 million...well, he only got 94 pts, which would have sat well at $9.4 million, and hey, if he wanted to pay tribute to Gilmour, $9.3 million would have done it...but they squeezed until he got nearly $11 million...and that one, they didn't even want to sign. It was an over payment when he signed...a winger who can't score alot of goals...and this year, he clearly proves that it was an over payment.

It's all greed, man...Marner got additional millions in endorsement deals for simply being a Leaf, but never considered giving a penny back in goodwill to the organization that drafted him and look to him to help bring the Cup home...look what Mikheyev got in his endorsement deal with Campbell Soup for simply being a Leaf...I mean, he just joined the team this year and has been mostly injured.

Dubas had to bring in Clarkson's bad contract, which is more wasted money, and put it on LTIR just so that they had room to sign Marner whenever he signed...the hoops the Leafs went through to sign this kid.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd say to re-unite Marner with him, maybe Hyman too if necessary.

That would mean a Matthews-Nylander reunion. Unsure of who I would want at LW, maybe Engvall just for defensive purposes.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Are you going to start a I love Toronto video again Mitch?

Didn't he say he gotta play better several games ago...so this is just euphemism, another way of saying he's gotta be better? How many different kind of excuses does he have up his sleeve? Didn't he just called out his teammates too?

Reactions: klmdg

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Didn't he say he gotta play better several games ago...so this is just euphemism, another way of saying he's gotta be better? How many different kind of excuses does he have up his sleeve? Didn't he just called out his teammates too?
He has called out the team twice and played bad in the next game afterwards. He is supposed to be our leader?

Reactions: Superstar

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He's a talented kid going through a rough patch and he's fighting the puck in a big way

I think Marner and the team needs a bit of a shakeup right now though since things seem to have gone a bit stale

Move him around on the PP, hell leave him out on the 2nd unit from time to time and give him some time with Tavares and Kerfoot to see if that gets him going again

Anything to help the kid get out of his own head

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
I think its time to put marner with tavares and willy with matthews. maybe tavares and marner could benefit from a new look and we get to have our two best players (this season) together.

Reactions: Superstar

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I think its time to put marner with tavares and willy with matthews. maybe tavares and marner could benefit from a new look and we get to have our two best players (this season) together.

I agree.

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Clifford - Matthews - Nylander

Reactions: TIGERCOOL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad