Value of: Mitch Marner Contract Mega-Thread Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
It's believed that San Jose offered Tavares 7 years at $91 million which is a $13 million AAV. Instead he signed in Toronto for 7 years at $77 million, which is a $11 million AAV. So you can say he took a discount to sign with the Maple Leafs.
Do you have a link for that story? I believe that is just something Leaf fans tell each other to make themselves believe they didn’t overpay for Tavares.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Do you have a link for that story? I believe that is just something Leaf fans tell each other to make themselves believe they didn’t overpay for Tavares.
This is the proof you were asking.

How the Toronto Maple Leafs signed John Tavares - Sportsnet.ca

Wilson wouldn’t discuss San Jose’s pitch, but word is he told Tavares, “You are the final piece for us.” It has also been rumoured (but never confirmed) that the Sharks were willing to pay $13.5 million per year for seven years. “That was a confident group,” one source says. “They felt they were the best option for John, and they showed it.”

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
What? Draisaitl was hardly the player then that he is today - I'm sure there were questions of whether or not he could be "the guy" for a franchise looking to pay that steep price. Still, based on what Edmonton paid at the time, they could have been worried about the possibility and decided to cough up what he wanted. Still, the cap situations between the two teams is night and day. McDavid was the only guy getting paid big - they could afford to splurge on Draisaitl.

..and not sure what Nylander has to do with anything. He's not comparable at all to the caliber of player we're talking about. Marner is a legit "face of the franchise" type player who will be 22 years old at the start of next season. We're comparing apples and oranges.

Look, I know the idea of losing a player like this probably sucks to think about so you'll try to concoct any reasoning you can to convince yourself that it's ridiculous, but it really isn't. Luckily for you though I'm sure when it comes down to it, Dubas will pay the man what he deserves, and he deserves to be in the same ballpark as Toronto's other two stars.
I only mentioned Draisaitl because I heard some people say since the Oilers #1 priority in the summer of 2017 was signing Connor McDavid to his extension 1 year before he could have been an RFA, it could leave them open for another team to give Draisaitl an offer sheet since he was an RFA at the time.

I also mentioned Nylander because since he did not re-sign with Toronto until December 1, 2018 he was an RFA and any of the other 30 teams could have signed him to an offer sheet and forced the Leafs to make a decision a lot earlier on what they should do with him.

Since neither player got an offer sheet that's why talk of Marner or anyone else getting one is complete fiction.

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
Endorsements were around last year when Tavares, Matthews, Nylander all got paid top dollar. Why didn't that impact their negotiations?
Do you think that Tavares left money on the table to come to Toronto without an expectation (That he has cashed in on) of endorsement deals?

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
Tavares has the 2nd highest cap hit in the NHL. How much $ do you really think he left on the table?
We know it was at least a million per season, upwards of 2. The fact that one of his Endorsement deals is doing commercials for one of the corporate owners of the leafs is just pure coincidence.

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
How do we know that?
It was pretty widely reported that The Islanders offered him at least 12 and San Jose might have offered as high at 13.

Marner is hitting the endorsement game harder than any of the other Leafs players right now. You can't watch TV in ontario without seeing a commercial for some insurance company, or apple, or visa featuring Mitch ( and some times he brings another Leaf along) being the home town kid who is a star on the team has some perks.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It was pretty widely reported that The Islanders offered him at least 12 and San Jose might have offered as high at 13.

Marner is hitting the endorsement game harder than any of the other Leafs players right now. You can't watch TV in ontario without seeing a commercial for some insurance company, or apple, or visa featuring Mitch ( and some times he brings another Leaf along) being the home town kid who is a star on the team has some perks.

Why didn't they bother to give any deals to Matthews?

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
How do we know that?
The article that reported the “supposed” larger offer by San Jose is in a post a few above this one.

I read it, but I’m not sure I believe it though. Being a Sportsnet article and all it just seems like a puff piece to calm Leaf fans fear that they overpaid by saying someone was going to pay more. Especially when the article says it is an unconfirmed rumor.

I don’t think the $13 mil offer ever happened.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If I am Ferris I love what I heard today from Dubas. Imperative priority #1 that Marner is signed before July 1? If I were Dubas I wouldn't have put a self imposed deadline on himself and tell the entire hockey world. Looks like he has learned little from his other negotiating mistakes. Ferris is going to leverage these comments to the bank. As any good agent should.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
If I am Ferris I love what I heard today from Dubas. Imperative priority #1 that Marner is signed before July 1? If I were Dubas I wouldn't have put a self imposed deadline on himself and tell the entire hockey world. Looks like he has learned little from his other negotiating mistakes. Ferris is going to leverage these comments to the bank. As any good agent should.
:facepalm: Good Golly, you’re right he hasn’t learned a damn thing! I wonder, does he think negotiating through the press is a good thing? Maybe he thinks he can paint Marner as the bad guy and that fan pressure will work for him?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I thought that myself. Ferris and Marner have no reason at all to rush on a deal unless it's one they love.

I honestly think Dubas just gets the deal done around 11 million. No need to try and mess around with this one when you have 2 other top players on the same team making that much.

The Leafs won't be hurt from paying Marner 11 instead of 9.5-10. They get hurt with having Marleau on the books. Or Zaitsev. Or Nylander.

Pay your top guys what they deserve. Don't overpay your middle 6 and mid pairing guys.

Like as an example for the Leafs, don't pay AJ 4 million. Trade him away and let Bracco replace him saving the team 3 million, while Bracco replaces 75% of the offense at 25% the cost.

And use the pick/s from AJ to keep the pipeline coming or to use in a bigger deal to fix a need.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I thought that myself. Ferris and Marner have no reason at all to rush on a deal unless it's one they love.

I honestly think Dubas just gets the deal done around 11 million. No need to try and mess around with this one when you have 2 other top players on the same team making that much.

The Leafs won't be hurt from paying Marner 11 instead of 9.5-10. They get hurt with having Marleau on the books. Or Zaitsev. Or Nylander.

Pay your top guys what they deserve. Don't overpay your middle 6 and mid pairing guys.

Like as an example for the Leafs, don't pay AJ 4 million.
Trade him away and let Bracco replace him saving the team 3 million, while Bracco replaces 75% of the offense at 25% the cost.

And use the pick/s from AJ to keep the pipeline coming or to use in a bigger deal to fix a need.

Agreed. Dubas needs to stop announcing his intentions publically......if I'm Ferris I'm working that leverage big time. Zero chance I sign before July 1st if I'm Marner unless Dubas pays up big time (ie 11 million or more). Dubas is a smart hockey analytics guy.......but his contract Negotiation skills appear subpar (both AM & Nylander deals are not good). Absolutely no reason for Dubas to make this information public, he's only hurting himself & team by doing it.

Reactions: Tripod

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
It's believed that San Jose offered Tavares 7 years at $91 million which is a $13 million AAV. Instead he signed in Toronto for 7 years at $77 million, which is a $11 million AAV. So you can say he took a discount to sign with the Maple Leafs.
You can't say Tavares took a discount to sign with the Leafs because the Leafs were the only team he wanted to sign with because it was his childhood team and he had no intention to sign with the Sharks or anybody else. The bottomline is Marner's agent probably wants to get it to July 1st just to see if there would be a team to make an offer sheet to Marner and force the Leafs hand if the Leafs don't offer something that Marner likes. So it's up to Dubas to get Marner signed before July 1st.

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
The article that reported the “supposed” larger offer by San Jose is in a post a few above this one.

I read it, but I’m not sure I believe it though. Being a Sportsnet article and all it just seems like a puff piece to calm Leaf fans fear that they overpaid by saying someone was going to pay more. Especially when the article says it is an unconfirmed rumor.

I don’t think the $13 mil offer ever happened.
Just remember what city Sportsnet operates out of!

SI

Feb 16, 2013
If Marner signs for 11, then Nylander, Johnson, and Kadri need to go.

I don't see Marleau waiving his NMC - can't trade him, send him down, can't buy him out b/c of the bonus.

Dubas needs to turn those 3 players into 5 Players on ELC.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
BIG domino to fall for the leafs....1 they have to get him signed and i dont blame them for signing JT but, TO has a very big offseason to try and not just ice a complete team but to build/be better then this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad