Value of: Mitch Marner Contract Mega-Thread Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Habs offer sheet Marner 12.5 x 7

Would be the greatest thing ever.

Marner would never sign that lol.

I can't see Marner signing some ridiculous offer sheet. The only way I see it happening is if Leafs truly play hardball and won't give him 11-11.5. In which case he signs an offer sheet for around that amount that he knows the Leafs will match.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Habs offer sheet Marner 12.5 x 7

Would be the greatest thing ever.

Then you woke and realized a Maple Leaf in their prime wouldn't sign an offersheet to play for the Scabs. I am sure Marner wants to win better yet I am sure he wants to be in the playoffs.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Oh yeah, that steady stream of 1st round exits is so much more impressive than what the Habs are doing lol.

Lets look back! They took the caps the best team in the east to game 6 in which 5 games went to overtime, they took Boston to game 7 in back to back years where it could have went either way. Pretty good for a team that literally blew it up in season 2015-2016. The sky is the limit for this young team that is learning how to win and the habs are where?

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Dubas running his mouth in the media and giving himself a self imposed 60 day timeline to get this deal done is not going to help keep the cost down. Neither is admitting fault in Nylander's deal.

Reactions: Deku and PWJunior

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Lets look back! They took the caps the best team in the east to game 6 in which 5 games went to overtime, they took Boston to game 7 in back to back years where it could have went either way. Pretty good for a team that literally blew it up in season 2015-2016. The sky is the limit for this young team that is learning how to win and the habs are where?
As these young players come off their ELC and get well paid, it's going to be harder and harder to put together a winner.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Dubas running his mouth in the media and giving himself a self imposed 60 day timeline to get this deal done is not going to help keep the cost down. Neither is admitting fault in Nylander's deal.

Agreed

Marner agent is leaning back in his chair, smiling ear to ear listening to Dubas in the media applying pressure on himself & the Leafs. Dubas needs to stop discussing contracts in the media, just hurting himself and the team.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Agreed

Marner agent is leaning back in his chair, smiling ear to ear listening to Dubas in the media applying pressure on himself & the Leafs. Dubas needs to stop discussing contracts in the media, just hurting himself and the team.

This entire site and media has been saying Marner will make 11M for this entire season now. What possibly does him saying that do? Make him ask for 12? He is getting paid no matter what.

And I think Dubas can't negotiate worth shit but honestly people. You are acting like he is worth 7 million and now is looking for 11. He lead the team in scoring 2 years in a row. He is getting paid regardless.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
This entire site and media has been saying Marner will make 11M for this entire season now. What possibly does him saying that do? Make him ask for 12? He is getting paid no matter what.

And I think Dubas can't negotiate worth **** but honestly people. You are acting like he is worth 7 million and now is looking for 11. He lead the team in scoring 2 years in a row. He is getting paid regardless.

Entire site saying 11 million? I disagree, many have offered comparables in the 9-9.5 million range.

No one on this site has any impact or inside knowledge or influence in what Marner gets.......so don’t worry about what you read here.

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
Why wouldn’t Mitch not want exactly want Austin got? I big number, tons of protected money and more importantly, a shorter deal which gives him a second major contract in his prime!

Someone is gonna offer sheet him at 5/55m+ and say, heck we will either get a great player and lose draft picks or handicap the Leafs against the cap for next few years.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
4 points behind the mightly Leafs, having played a total of 7 games less, and uhmm... not in cap hell.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I would think Dubas wants to get MM locked in at 10M for 5 years. Once it gets to July 1st, that's an easy offer sheet to offer since you're not getting much if he were to sign an OS at something similar.

Anything over 10.1 million is an overpay and I'd take the 4 1sts.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017

And I think Dubas can't negotiate worth **** but honestly people. You are acting like he is worth 7 million and now is looking for 11. He lead the team in scoring 2 years in a row. He is getting paid regardless.

I think most people, other than a handful of Leafs fans all agree that the deal will be in the 10.5-11 range. Everything in the Marner negotiation will be about term. Matthews got a premium salary and it cost him only 1 UFA year. 3 years likely isn't going to happen, Marner is not taking a bridge deal while Tavares, Nylander and Matthews cashed in. 4 years is worst case, as it walks him right to UFA. 5 years is terrible as you then have AM, WN, MM all going to UFA at the same time. Dubas is going to want a 6-7 year deal at 5 year money. He is shooting himself in the foot by saying too much.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
If a team has a ton of cap space, and feel they’re fairly close to the playoffs, why wouldn’t they offer sheet 12.5 x 7?

The Leafs fans in here who think Marner wouldn’t instantly sign that are living in a fantasy. If he sees that money he signs it.

Now would the Leafs match is an entirely different story.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Serious question, this isn’t a dig at the leafs. But do they have any realistic way of paying all their top guys while avoiding cap hell?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
If a team has a ton of cap space, and feel they’re fairly close to the playoffs, why wouldn’t they offer sheet 12.5 x 7?

The Leafs fans in here who think Marner wouldn’t instantly sign that are living in a fantasy. If he sees that money he signs it.

Ottawa felt they were fair close to the playoffs. They just traded one 1st rounder, nevermind 4.

I would take 4 1st round picks without hesitation if the alternative is overpaying Marner to that degree. I don't think people here realize how risky giving up 4 consecutive unprotected 1st rounders can be. The Brooklyn Nets didn't even go that far and their trade with the Celtics set them back for half a decade.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Now would the Leafs match is an entirely different story.

I don't think he'd want to give up that many UFA years for 12.5. A 26-27 year old Marner under a 95+ million dollar cap is going to easily make 15+.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Serious question, this isn’t a dig at the leafs. But do they have any realistic way of paying all their top guys while avoiding cap hell?

Any team can sign their top guys, that isn’t the issue. The issue is maintaining required depth while signing their top guys. Tough for all top teams, not just the Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad