News: Mitch Marner Contract Mega-Thread (mod warning post 990)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I've said it elsewhere, I believe that at least one, or maybe two of Brown, Johnsson, and/or Kapanen are gone. I just don't see the salary structure working effectively otherwise. There are 8 solid forwards without two of the above. I don't see Marleau waiving his NMC and despite contentions otherwise, Zaitsev's contract will be extremely hard to move. The Phaneuf and Bickell comparisons aren't really germane. Dion, despite declining, was still considered a Top 4 defender with a cannon of a shot. Bickell only had 1 year left on his deal. Zaitsev has 5 more after this season. I'm not saying it's impossible, but the piper will have to be paid. I'm not so sure the answer isn't sending him down to the Marlies. Wouldn't that save at least $1 million?

Even with all of that said, moving Brown and/or one of Johnsson and Kapanen, should free up enough cap space to pay a capable defender and a reclamation project for the 3rd line (or just elevate Bracco). Things will be tight and there will be holes, but all teams struggle through that, even champions.
Brown is almost certainly gone. Between Kapanen and Johnsson, I think the Leafs will hang on to Kapanen because of his utility. Whoever gets Johnsson is gonna be getting a really solid player. Guy has a good shot, speed to burn and a great motor. The kid hustles on every play and I look forward to seeing what he can do on a team that can give him better minutes.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Another point tonight for Marner. He's going to get paid$ this summer. Ferris is going to have a lot of ammo in negotiations with the free spending Dubas.

Every point Marner helps the Leafs win, but every point just drives his cap number higher making him more difficult to sign.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Another point tonight for Marner. He's going to get paid$ this summer. Ferris is going to have a lot of ammo in negotiations with the free spending Dubas.

Every point Marner helps the Leafs win, but every point just drives his cap number higher making him more difficult to sign.
Yeah. We're all devastated here in Leafs Nation.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
If I'm Marner I wait till july 1st to see the offers, I think of all the RFA's that might get an offer sheet, the top of the list would be Marner. Montreal and maybe Columbus will offer him huge $$

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Without a doubt!

He's one of the best! You don't let players like those walk. He's dominant right now, and he'll get even better I think.

Really?

I'd want to have a look at the team making the offer first.

That's FOUR first-round picks, and any team that has the space to afford Marner at that price will almost certainly suck, at least for a few more years. You could potentially end up with 2-to-3 players in Marner's league, all on ELC.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
yup
and he would sign before if we offered him Matthews money
he will be a life Leaf !!!
I suspect he won't be offered Matthews money though, I know you Leaf fans feel you are above money restraints but you're about to feel the wraith of the salary cap if you have to pay Marner anything close to $13m

Mar 26, 2010

Free spending Dubas?

Tavares turned money down to play in Toronto. San Jose offered him $13M @ 7 years! JT left $14M on the table to play for the Leafs! Any GM in the NHL pays #91 the $11M without any hesitation!

Matthews would have gotten way more with an offersheet than $11.6M. He would have gotten $15M easily. Again, this player wants to be in Toronto.

Marner is worth every penny he will get. Kid is a total stud!

Just because your team is lacking players of this Pedegree, it does not mean Dubas is free spending. Top tier elite players get paid!

Get over it!

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Matthews would have gotten way more with an offersheet than $11.6M. He would have gotten $15M easily. Again, this player wants to be in Toronto.
LOL, it helped that Matthews only has to pay 15% tax on 93% of his contract because he's American. Matthews hasn't done a thing yet to deserve that contract.

Mar 26, 2010
LOL, it helped that Matthews only has to pay 15% tax on 93% of his contract because he's American. Matthews hasn't done a thing yet to deserve that contract.
Maybe not, but that does not change the fact he would have gotten more from other teams.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If someone like the Ducks or AZ offer Marner 5 x 10.1m x 5 years, do the Leafs match or take two 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd?

mitchthemitch

Jan 10, 2019
Toronto

free spending Dubas lmao. I heard the Islanders and legendary GM Lou offered more than 12 million for Tavares' services. Someone else offered 13 M. And it's confirmed that multiple teams are preparing offer sheets for Marner. If Dubas is free spending then so are a lot of other GMs. (Btw Lou also signed Zaitsev to his horrible contract and is the reason we are stuck with Marleau's)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad