News: Mitch Marner Contract Mega-Thread (mod warning post 990)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Maple Leafs have lowballed Mitch Marner in contract talks, agent says | The Star

So the day Matthews signs a new contract, this agent comes up with this? Does not sound like a guy negotiating in good faith. Atleast wait for a few weeks instead of immediately raining on Dubas' parade.

I know many want to see the Leafs squeezed dry by these players but doing this in public months before the contract expires and on the day Matthews is re-signed seems to be in extremely poor taste. I can't imagine the Leafs front office is happy about these antics one bit.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Suppose Mitch Marner makes it to July 1 without a contract. Suppose the Devils offer him a deal worth 11-11.75 million a season. Suppose he accepts. This would be a compensation of 4 first round picks I believe.

Would the Leafs rather ...

1. Match it

2. Take the picks

3. Work out a deal with NJ so NJ can keep 1 or 2 of those picks while taking on Zaitsev as well as Hornton/Marleau

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
From New Jersey? They would have to seriously consider those picks + going after a free agent imo.
Nine times out of ten 4 firsts don’t bring you back a Marner caliber player.

They could bring you two, but you’d have to be lucky with striking gold, which is rarer than not with draft picks.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Nine times out of ten 4 firsts don’t bring you back a Marner caliber player.

They could bring you two, but you’d have to be lucky with striking gold, which is rather than not with draft picks.
But consider where NJ would could be picking this year. :amazed: An ELC with that selected player. And then 3 more firsts after that.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Everything under $12mil per is lowballing Marner. It'll interesting to see what kind of a team the Leafs are going to ice when they've got +$11mil tied to three guys each, $7mil goes to a guy who projects to score 30pts this season, and $4.5mil goes to a bottom pairing dman...

Reactions: powerstuck

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Nice. Marner's agent puts heat on his own client. Marner ought to find a better representative.
The guy has been thier best and most consistent player for probably over a full calendar year now. He drives his own line and he runs and is the architect for the entire PP1. It’s far from outlandish for them to feel he should be at or near their highest paid player.

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
But consider where NJ would could be picking this year. :amazed: An ELC with that selected player. And then 3 more firsts after that.

Free Agency comes after the draft, which means that the first pick would be for the 2020 draft.

Although, I do agree that four 1st round picks from NJD would be enticing.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Everything under $12mil per is lowballing Marner. It'll interesting to see what kind of a team the Leafs are going to ice when they've got +$11mil tied to three guys each, $7mil goes to a guy who projects to score 30pts this season, and $4.5mil goes to a bottom pairing dman...

Yeah? everything under 12 is lowballing?

Pasternak is 1 point behind? Kuch is also a winger who will finish 1st in scoring, so I think anything under 12 is a bit off...

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
It’s far from outlandish for them to feel he should be at or near their highest paid player.

It's one thing to feel or to express those wishes in private contract discussions. It's quite another to give inflammatory quotes on the record criticizing the team, immediately creating a toxic distraction for his client. Especially considering he's told everyone he won't negotiate during the season. That is outlandish. Ferris comes off as incredibly unprofessional.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Free Agency comes after the draft, which means the first pick would be for the 2020 draft.

Although, I do agree that four 1st round picks from NJD would be enticing.
Crap, I didn't think that through. :laugh: Honestly, in this hypothetical I believe It's all about how confident you are in your scouting. ELC years are crucial in this day and age and kind of turn back the clock on cap issues.

Reactions: Visnovsky

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Nice. Marner's agent puts heat on his own client. Marner ought to find a better representative.

This will not end well... and I am pretty sure Marner is not on board with publicly insulting the team and his best friends new contract.

And with the Toronto media.... oh boy

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
I love Marner, but he should be ashamed his representative pulled something like that. He insulted the organization and his teammates for no reason, and now Marner will probably have to answer for it

It was Shanahan who started it, he should never open his mouth about teamfriendly contracts. Shanahan has done everyting correct up to that point, one of the few men or women who I think could fix the Oilers..

Reactions: McBooya42

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Well yah...Matthews is being paid as a player that Toronto hopes he can be, and Marner is being told that what he's actually done, isn't as valuable. Dubas picked the wrong hill to die on.

If people think Marner will just take 9m, and not sign an offer sheet for 11-12m, they are delusional.

Last edited:

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
It's one thing to feel or to express those wishes in private contract discussions. It's quite another to give inflammatory quotes on the record criticizing the team when you've told everyone you don't want to negotiate during the season, immediately creating a toxic distraction for his client. That is outlandish. Ferris comes off as incredibly unprofessional.
I can agree with that. And I can even acknowledge that privately, the leafs brass would give Marner that respect. It’s clearly an aggressive negotiation tactic. They probably jumped the gun for making their feelings public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad