News: Mitch Marner Contract Mega-Thread (mod warning post 990)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If it's a bridge it'll be 3 years.

2 years does nothing for either side.

3 years take him to RFA, but only 1 from UFA.

A 2 year bridge would mean that the leafs could pick the term in arbitration if it ever got to that

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
He wanted to go last.... then go last. Make him wait for aho. Rantanen. Laine. Tkachuk and see.

If they are all 8 million. How could he ask for 10

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I'd take Marner over all of those guys in a heartbeat. Yes, including Rantanen

But his contract should Be comparable to them. He has a comparable class. They should end up with similar conracts. Just like Nylander and his comparables.

Matthews had no recent comparables with his level of goal scoring and production as a C. Below mcdavid. Above everyone else who has signed since the stamkos/Kane years.

I’m hoping they wait on mitch and see what everyone else gets. You choose to wait... u might get less.

Grimmas

Mar 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
If it's a bridge it'll be 3 years.

2 years does nothing for either side.

3 years take him to RFA, but only 1 from UFA.
For the Leafs it gets them past Marleau's contract, thus having the room to sign him to a real contract. I doubt it's two years too, but it does have some benefits.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
But his contract should Be comparable to them. He has a comparable class. They should end up with similar conracts. Just like Nylander and his comparables.

Matthews had no recent comparables with his level of goal scoring and production as a C. Below mcdavid. Above everyone else who has signed since the stamkos/Kane years.

I’m hoping they wait on mitch and see what everyone else gets. You choose to wait... u might get less.

They aren't comparable to Marner if you would easily take him over all of them...I'd only consider them comparable if it was debatable.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
After what Marner saw Matthews get, there is no way he asks for a bridge.. Why would he? He will get around same amount for 5 years and then get a ridiculously massive deal after that. More money at the end of his career.

The kid is getting better and better and will always be a top 10 point getter in the NHL starting this season for the next decade.

I see alot of these 5 year deals happening for young guys.. Matthews started a new trend here for this new young group in NHL i think and it will cost teams an insane amount of money

No reason for Marner to sign for 3 years at a lesser amount now and then a 7-8 year deal after that for max amount when he can sign for 5 years at max amount now and then 7-8 years at a higher max amount like Matthews

Last edited:

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
He's paid 42m for ~5.6 seasons
Maybe I’m wrong but I doubt the NHL would have made it so a team can pay a guy more over the course of his contract than what the AAV adds up to.

Do you have a link that shows exactly what he’s getting paid this season?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Maybe I’m wrong but I doubt the NHL would have made it so a team can pay a guy more over the course of his contract than what the AAV adds up to.

Do you have a link that shows exactly what he’s getting paid this season?
Yup.

His AAV is over 10m this year on the cap, and a shade under 7 for the remaining years. I had no idea it could be structured like that either. Worked out favorably for both sides.

Maple Leafs sign RFA William Nylander to 6-year deal - Sportsnet.ca

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
There has never been any cap hit or paid dollar that Nylander got 7.5. He gets 6.96
The point is he should be in line with them. Wherever that ends up.
He's being paid 42m for playing a touch over 5.5 seasons come @ me.

Marner will make more than Laine and Thachuck. Will be interesting to see how rantanen finishes out the year and what he makes.

Fwiw I'd easily take marner out of those 4 and I'd happily pay him 11m for 8 years.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
For the Leafs it gets them past Marleau's contract, thus having the room to sign him to a real contract. I doubt it's two years too, but it does have some benefits.

Pretty much. Having it expire in 2021 wouldn't be great but Andersen's the only other important player as a UFA then. Plus they have the arbitration hammer

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Pretty sure that he'll make LOADS & LOADS of money from the Leafs already.

y'all will be slamming Dubas and the Leafs for overspending and throwing the league into financial chaos, soon enough. ;)

Also......he might want to actually win a Cup, too. Sorry, but that means Montreal is out.

LMAO Montreal is better positioned to win the cup in the near future than Toronto who managed to hamstring themselves into cap hell before even figuring out their defense and physical play

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON
Yeah? everything under 12 is lowballing?

Pasternak is 1 point behind? Kuch is also a winger who will finish 1st in scoring, so I think anything under 12 is a bit off...
kucherov took a huge discount to play in tampa and the contract was signed before every star make 10+. comparing apples to oranges. I wish the leaf players took team discounts too but its not so.

Grimmas

Mar 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
LMAO Montreal is better positioned to win the cup in the near future than Toronto who managed to hamstring themselves into cap hell before even figuring out their defense and physical play
What?

Montreal is better positioned to win the cup in the near future than the Leafs? I know we all are biased towards our own teams, but this is ridiculous.

Montreal could win the cup this year if Price gets hot in the playoffs, doesn't mean they are in a better position to win it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad