News: Mitch Marner Contract Mega-Thread (mod warning post 990)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nucks N Canes

Jun 22, 2011
Free spending Dubas?

Tavares turned money down to play in Toronto. San Jose offered him $13M @ 7 years! JT left $14M on the table to play for the Leafs! Any GM in the NHL pays #91 the $11M without any hesitation!

Matthews would have gotten way more with an offersheet than $11.6M. He would have gotten $15M easily. Again, this player wants to be in Toronto.

Marner is worth every penny he will get. Kid is a total stud!

Just because your team is lacking players of this Pedegree, it does not mean Dubas is free spending. Top tier elite players get paid!

Get over it!

What team is going to have 3 guys with over 10 M on all forwards and have a solid team. Will have to somehow steal another D on a 4-6M deal as a top pair guy. Otherwise playoffs will continue to be short and sweet. The best teams build net out. Saw it with LA, Chicago, and boston. Pittsburgh lone exception but can argue their d core knew their role

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
What team is going to have 3 guys with over 10 M on all forwards and have a solid team. Will have to somehow steal another D on a 4-6M deal as a top pair guy. Otherwise playoffs will continue to be short and sweet. The best teams build net out. Saw it with LA, Chicago, and boston. Pittsburgh lone exception but can argue their d core knew their role
If they can't re-sign him because of outrageous demands, they can just trade him for a boatload of assets. We're not even getting in to how much the cap will increase because of expansion and revenue increase in the next couple years. Where's the loss in this situation?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Part of me wants to put my Sabres fandom aside and root for the Leafs.. but some of the fans are so f***ing annoying that I can't wait for them to fall short this year before entering cap hell.

Reactions: MtlsabresFAN
Mar 14, 2011
LOL, it helped that Matthews only has to pay 15% tax on 93% of his contract because he's American. Matthews hasn't done a thing yet to deserve that contract.
He'd still need to pay the ~41% Arizona tax rate from the signing bonus he got, but he will most likely get the full, 15% foreign tax credit from the his tax returns considering he had the pay the Canadian government that 15% as well (on top of his Arizona taxes). Either way, he still saves a lot of money compare to someone like Marner who would get the full 53% Toronto tax rate.

However, Matthews would need to be staying in Arizona for around 3 months each year in order to benefit from this arrangement and if the Leafs turns into a deep playoff team, I dont know how his going to be able to do that, he might just have to pay his tax like a regular Toronto born player; which I suspect he will because the CRA were pretty adamant of Kessel (who maintained his Florida residency during his time with the Leafs) taking more than 33% of his salary as signing bonus, I can't imagine they will allow Matthews to far exceed that unless they expected for him to give up his Arizona residency for tax purposes.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
We could spend 80 mil on just the big four, rielly and andy and still beat a lot of these scrub teams, we match any offer, mitch, matthews,nylander and matthews will all play the rest the rest of thier carers in toronto, wether hf likes it or not!!!! Eat it!!

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
For money.

Pretty sure that he'll make LOADS & LOADS of money from the Leafs already.

y'all will be slamming Dubas and the Leafs for overspending and throwing the league into financial chaos, soon enough. ;)

Also......he might want to actually win a Cup, too. Sorry, but that means Montreal is out.

Reactions: Hollywood North

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I'd bridge him for 2 years and then sign him for 8 years or just sign him for 8M years. I'm getting fed up with these limited term deals on our stars.
Signing him for 8'000'000 years might be a little on the long side. :laugh:

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

The teams you listed all have good team defence and centre depth, defence is not all about defensemen, and Leafs defence was doing just fine before they added Muzzin, who will fill in the gap on a good contract between Gardiner leaving and Marleau's contract coming up. A team can win the cup so long as the big dollars being paid are to very good players, which looks to be about right for the Leafs, and have some sweetheart deals in Rielly, Kadri for a few more years as well.

Things look very bright for the Leafs.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Usually a team with top end talent wins a cup before cap hell.

(Chi,Pitt)

Sucks, the Leafs cup window closed so fast. This is their only shot this season.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Best case scenario for the Leafs would be a 3 year bridge at say 7.5.

Yes, they have to pay him 12+ million in 2021, but the cap will likely be at 90+ million then.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
He absolutely is. Best player on the Leafs by far.

9m for 2 years seems comparable to Matthews 11.6m for 5 years too

If it's a bridge it'll be 3 years.

2 years does nothing for either side.

3 years take him to RFA, but only 1 from UFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad