Mitch “Magic” Marner Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
While Matthews has solidified himself as a top 3 centre in the league this year, Marner's made it clear he's a top 5 winger in the league, and possibly top 3 - and trending up. Kucherov, Panarin, Kane, and Pastrnak are the only guys I might have above him right now, and he's going to surpass all of them (except maybe Pastrnak) in the next couple years.

Say what you will about the contract negotiation, but he is an absolute game breaker

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Did anyone else catch Mitch's post game interview last night? I found the words he used to be interesting; he spoke a lot about team, and supporting each other etc. Personally, I felt they were a direct shot at Babcock... maybe I am reading something into it, but he put a lot of emphasis on how much everyone supports each other. It was pointed.

Didn't catch it but it's not surprising to hear. The atmosphere was toxic under Babcock.

Reactions: wingman75

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
maybe not the most sustainable stat, but he was on the ice for 19 Leafs goals and 3 opposition goals at 5v5 in February. Also managed to lead the league in 5v5 points, was 3rd in total points, and has dominant underlying numbers
I think marner has to be in serious contention for the selke award
Does it all
defence check
Offense check

Turning into a complete player without losing any offense

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
While Matthews has solidified himself as a top 3 centre in the league this year, Marner's made it clear he's a top 5 winger in the league, and possibly top 3 - and trending up. Kucherov, Panarin, Kane, and Pastrnak are the only guys I might have above him right now, and he's going to surpass all of them (except maybe Pastrnak) in the next couple years.

Say what you will about the contract negotiation, but he is an absolute game breaker
I'd also have Marchand over him, Brad is the most underrated superstar in the league imo. Since 17-18 he's 6th in the league in points and 5th in ppg (Drai is 0.01 ppg above him for 4th).

Regardless, Mitch is in that top tier and it's great to see. He dominates every part of the ice he's on every game.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I have to give Magic a lot of credit for being able to handle a heavy work load. He’s like the Energizer bunny this year. Just takes a beating and keeps on putting up high end numbers.

Reactions: ACC1224

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Mitch is just insane. I still remember vehemently praising the guy during his draft year saying we had to get him over Strome and Hanifin. He's looking better than even I envisioned back then. Definitely a top 5 winger in the game easy.

Reactions: DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The kid should try an iron man. His cardio is crazy
The amazing thing, despite leading the league in forward ice time, the guy is never winded. I can’t recall one instance seeing him labouring to the bench.

mcleafs

Jan 2, 2020
I can say without question I was wrong about Mitch. I overreacted to last season. Yes you could probably argue he should be getting a million or so less, but at that point who cares. He is the epitome of a game breaker. Outside of Kane, I'm not sure there is a better winger in the league who can play with ANYONE.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
His shot has noticeably improved. His release on his goal against Montreal after Weber stepped up to hit Matthews was filthy.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The opposing team has to be on their toes when Mitch is on the ice. The routine passes can be intercepted, Mitch is never routine. Very Smart player.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
This isn't a knock on Marner, but think a lot of these western Canadian teams have been completely overrated.
There's no opposition I'd put in the same category as Tampa Bay or Boston. You even let a team like
Montreal play Vancouver a few times and they were thinking they'd win the Cup. That being said, think
this all is a helpful season to let all the Leafs including Marner build up their systems with confidence.

Reactions: Lauro

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
This isn't a knock on Marner, but think a lot of these western Canadian teams have been completely overrated.
There's no opposition I'd put in the same category as Tampa Bay or Boston. You even let a team like
Montreal play Vancouver a few times and they were thinking they'd win the Cup. That being said, think
this all is a helpful season to let all the Leafs including Marner build up their systems with confidence.
Habs were saying their team is the best they had in 30 years, lol.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Impressed how he’s stepped up in Matthews absence.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
There aren't a lot of Bruins or Tampa-esque teams across the league

Spargon

May 31, 2019
One more assist moves him into top 20 assist totals in a Leaf uniform. Matthews moved into top 20 for goals on his last goal.

Not to discredit them at all they are monsters and will shatter records. But our points records aren't very impressive overall not hard or surprising they are rocketing up the lists.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Not to discredit them at all they are monsters and will shatter records. But our points records aren't very impressive overall not hard or surprising they are rocketing up the lists.

They wouldn't be far off any team's list, Montreal included. Basically within about a year they would be inside pretty much every original 6 team's top 20.

Montreal 31, 37
Boston 23, 31
NYR 18, 21
Detroit 21, 22
Chicago 23, 31

Reactions: Confucius

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
My two cents .....
Let’s remember the Glorious Toronto Maple leafs and their earlier franchises The St.Pats and the Arenas where proudly built on grit , hard work , toughness , Jam , real men that were the direct opposite of the Flying Frenchmen The Shabs who were the polar end ..
Mr Smythe built those teams in his image and the image of the Toronto area which was mostly Irish tough and therefore our early players reflected that image Red Horner , King Clancy , Teeder Kennedy , and so many more , we certainly had smooth players over the years , but Mr Smythe just wanted to beat the Canadiens on the ice and in the alley !!!
Therefore our point leaders weren’t at par with the smooth skating Shabs
Love our History
Go Leafs Go

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I was bitter af about Mitch after his contract and squeezing every gd cent out of this team. I can admit it now, I was dead wrong about him not being worth the money.

Reactions: authentic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad