Mitch “Magic” Marner Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

likecheese

Oct 21, 2019
I so over-reacted last year. He and Matthews both, their commitment to fitness and the defensive side of the game, they're both becoming not only elite offensive talents but elite two-way players. I think Mitch is better than 2 seasons ago, his shot is actually a weapon. his defensive play is amazing and his vision and passing skills are right back where they were. Everybody that plays on his line is getting chances. These 2 guys have really stepped up.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
I so over-reacted last year. He and Matthews both, their commitment to fitness and the defensive side of the game, they're both becoming not only elite offensive talents but elite two-way players. I think Mitch is better than 2 seasons ago, his shot is actually a weapon. his defensive play is amazing and his vision and passing skills are right back where they were. Everybody that plays on his line is getting chances. These 2 guys have really stepped up.

agreed. And what a blessing it is to have both on the Leafs at THE SAME TIME!
Matthews + Marner > Sundin + Mogilny

I’ve heard the comparison of Matthews Marner to Brett Hull and Adam Oates and I have to say it’s a great comparison except I personally think Matthews is a much better skater than Hull and overall multidimensional player

likecheese

Oct 21, 2019
agreed. And what a blessing it is to have both on the Leafs at THE SAME TIME!
Matthews + Marner > Sundin + Mogilny

I’ve heard the comparison of Matthews Marner to Brett Hull and Adam Oates and I have to say it’s a great comparison except I personally think Matthews is a much better skater than Hull and overall multidimensional player
Yeah, the talking heads were saying this off-season that we would have to buy in to playing more of a 2-way game in order to have any playoff success. And the maturity was a question and no matter who they brought in leadership-wise, it remained to be seen whether the big boys would commit to it. Sure, the playoffs are a ways off but they've both answered the bell in a big way.

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018
His shot has noticeably improved. His release on his goal against Montreal after Weber stepped up to hit Matthews was filthy.

I've been critical of his contract in the past, but this year he has been a scoring threat, which I felt was lacking previously. With that in his game he I think he can earn his money.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
from the PGT Leafs 3 Oilers 0 in a side discussion about the possibility of McJeebuzz leaving the Oilers in a trade with the Leafs and one poster likening it to the Gretzky trade, meaning Marner and a bunch of 1sts and +

Marner. That's it.

Guess how many points Mitch has had in his last 82 games.

I really can't believe that there's so many people who still don't understand the real value of Mitchell Marner, like seriously somehow saying that McDavid is the equal of Gretzky(in a trade) and that Jimmy Carson had the same value as Mitchell would have in a trade?

Not taking anything away from Carson he had some pretty handy offensive skills. 107 pts on a team that hardly gave a thought to defense and a sported a G differential of -41. Carsons' sophmore year total was good enough for 7th overall in scoring but 61 points behind the league leader. As a sophmore Marners 69 points were good for 1st on the defensive minded Leafs, and were 39 points off of McDavids league leading 108.

I get that Carsons numbers looked good but at the time Carson was seen as a guy with good potential but having some glaring holes in his game, not too mention some possible off ice stuff.

There are no questions about Marner's game at all, and (don't hate me) but I still think that he is the most complete and therefore the most valuable player on the team. Matty is definitely close to being the leagues brightest if not best triggerman and is becoming a very complete player in his own right. In my mind though they are neck and neck

IMO in any hypothetical trade for McJeebuzz there really wouldn't be any 1st's included with either Mitch or Matty going out west, maybe a prospect and a bottom 6 forward but that would be about it

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
from the PGT Leafs 3 Oilers 0 in a side discussion about the possibility of McJeebuzz leaving the Oilers in a trade with the Leafs and one poster likening it to the Gretzky trade, meaning Marner and a bunch of 1sts and +

I really can't believe that there's so many people who still don't understand the real value of Mitchell Marner, like seriously somehow saying that McDavid is the equal of Gretzky(in a trade) and that Jimmy Carson had the same value as Mitchell would have in a trade?

Not taking anything away from Carson he had some pretty handy offensive skills. 107 pts on a team that hardly gave a thought to defense and a sported a G differential of -41. Carsons' sophmore year total was good enough for 7th overall in scoring but 61 points behind the league leader. As a sophmore Marners 69 points were good for 1st on the defensive minded Leafs, and were 39 points off of McDavids league leading 108.

I get that Carsons numbers looked good but at the time Carson was seen as a guy with good potential but having some glaring holes in his game, not too mention some possible off ice stuff.

There are no questions about Marner's game at all, and (don't hate me) but I still think that he is the most complete and therefore the most valuable player on the team. Matty is definitely close to being the leagues brightest if not best triggerman and is becoming a very complete player in his own right. In my mind though they are neck and neck

IMO in any hypothetical trade for McJeebuzz there really wouldn't be any 1st's included with either Mitch or Matty going out west, maybe a prospect and a bottom 6 forward but that would be about it

Marner has Datsyuk potential. In his prime Datsyuk was as valuable or even more so than Crosby.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

If MacDavid wants out Edmonton would add to get a Marner or Matthews for him.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Marner has Datsyuk potential. In his prime Datsyuk was as valuable or even more so than Crosby.

don't disagree with that notion, I always thought Denis Savard, but watching him now I do see some Datsyuk and really isn't a bad comparable either, however I do believe that Mitch finishes up at 1400 or so games and better then 1 PPG barring any serious injuries

Reactions: Teeder Keon

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
If MacDavid wants out Edmonton would add to get a Marner or Matthews for him.

Matthews is a non-starter. You would definitely need to include Marner in any deal for McDavid as the 2 cannot co-exist on the same team. They have been adversaries since junior. One always thought they were better then the other. Their families cannot stand each other. Wouldnt work at the pro level either.

Any deal to acquire McDavid would definitely include Marner going the other way with Matthews or Tavares shifting to the wing to accommodate McDavid at C.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Marner's passing has been incredible this year. He has been threading needles like he's back in Jr.

and like in Jr once Mitch understood the league he elevated his game, and rose above it's level of play, just like he's doing in the NHL,

I think his year with JT was beneficial to his development as have been the mentors the Leafs have brought in both for him and the team whether it's been Patty Marleau, Spezz, or Jumbo

I find it hard to contain my giddiness over this player, from watching him with London and then actually seeing him in a Leafs uni dominating play gives me some real hope of seeing another cup or two in the time I've got left

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
don't disagree with that notion, I always thought Denis Savard, but watching him now I do see some Datsyuk and really isn't a bad comparable either, however I do believe that Mitch finishes up at 1400 or so games and better then 1 PPG barring any serious injuries
I would be ecstatic if Mitch’s Magic would be comparable to a right handed Patrick Kane and match his incredible numbers still to this day ...

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Matthews is a non-starter. You would definitely need to include Marner in any deal for McDavid as the 2 cannot co-exist on the same team. They have been adversaries since junior. One always thought they were better then the other. Their families cannot stand each other. Wouldnt work at the pro level either.

Any deal to acquire McDavid would definitely include Marner going the other way with Matthews or Tavares shifting to the wing to accommodate McDavid at C.

is this the same kind of idea when the Leafs signed Peca and the supposed "hate" with D'Arcy

these guys are professionals all that childhood stuff is in the rearview mirror

but whatever I don't see the day that McJeebuzz signs in Toronto, unless of course the Leafs happen to lose a superstar to UFA and then have the cap room necessary

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I would be ecstatic if Mitch’s Magic would be comparable to a right handed Patrick Kane and match his incredible numbers still to this day ...
another good comparable I think Patrick Kane is one of the alltime types but tbh I think Marner is a superior player, we'll just have to keep Mitch out of cabs though:laugh:

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
but whatever I don't see the day that McJeebuzz signs in Toronto, unless of course the Leafs happen to lose a superstar to UFA and then have the cap room necessary

McDavid is a UFA the year after Tavares' contract ends. We will have a 11M hole burning in our pocket which is a pretty good start. :DD

Last edited:
Reactions: therealkoho

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
another good comparable I think Patrick Kane is one of the alltime types but tbh I think Marner is a superior player, we'll just have to keep Mitch out of cabs though:laugh:

Kane is generally an 80ish point player who goes off once every couple years for ~100 and competes for an Art Ross trophy. I think Marner is going to do that more regularly.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
is this the same kind of idea when the Leafs signed Peca and the supposed "hate" with D'Arcy

these guys are professionals all that childhood stuff is in the rearview mirror

Differnece is Matthews hometown team is the poorest in the NHL and biggest mess. MacDavid's is the richest and as well run as any organization.

Matthews has made 32.4 million the past 2 July 1st bonuses. The $$$$ is in Toronto along with a first class organization and a winning team

Reactions: zeke
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad