Mitch “Magic” Marner Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
We all knew Marner had this in him. He can be a top 3 winger in this league and he is that this year. He wasn't himself last year despite the excuses made for his poor play, but he has turned it on this year.
He and Dubas deserve blame for the contract mess, but this is why you pay your star players. Dubas hasn't sabotoged himself with bad contracts to replacement level and thats what hurts you. Paying your stars won't hurt you.
You should be embarrassed the way you trolled him last year, seriously.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Fun fact

Marner hit PPG for his career tonight. 318 gp, 318 points. Only 10 active players in the league have career PPG and the leafs have two of them.
Yeah, he's been close for a bit, needed a big game to do it. I think Matthews and McDavid are the only ones who are currently at it under 30 who started in the league for their whole year in their d+1.

Love the Matthews/Marner line, and I know it will probably impact their individual production (and we'd have to alter the PP to a stacked unit most likely) but for overall Leafs production it may make the most sense to run Matthews-Nylander, Tavares-Marner, unless Hyman can spark the Tavares-Nylander line provided this is only a game or two off.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The deke in the OT in the Monday game and tonight's roof job were pretty outrageous displays from Marner. Other than that the trio with Matthews and Thornton has been spectacular. Marner and Matthews are now 3rd and 4th in league scoring, which perfectly aligns with where both are paid.

AvroArrow

The way she goes
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Overpaid ! Over rated ! Small ! Soft !

Marner is a beast. I've watched this guy since his London days, my absolute favorite leaf especially cause he's a hometown kid.

Reactions: DarkKnight

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Marner is doing well. Just glad he is not forcing play and just doin go what he does best.

I think playing full time with Matthews has helped him there. Marner and JT were a very successful duo, but you saw it when JT was running cold, it was on Marner to try to get literally anything going. That's what got him off his game. His worst games were where the team was so generally impotent he'd get running all over the place at mach 5 looking like a headless chicken with three Mario Kart mushrooms. He's much more deliberate this year. The two of them bring out the best in each other.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think playing full time with Matthews has helped him there. Marner and JT were a very successful duo, but you saw it when JT was running cold, it was on Marner to try to get literally anything going. That's what got him off his game. His worst games were where the team was so generally impotent he'd get running all over the place at mach 5 looking like a headless chicken with three Mario Kart mushrooms. He's much more deliberate this year. The two of them bring out the best in each other.
Never really thought of that but it is a good point.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
5v5 points/60:

Marner: 3.68
Matthews: 3.54
Draisaitl: 2.97
McDavid: 2.85

PP points/60:

McDavid: 9.13
Marner: 7.5
Draisaitl: 7.05
Matthews: 6.56
Amazing. They're even owning even strength. Wanted to shout out the Jets sniper Ehlers. What a player. He's having a good year he reminds me so much of Nylander.

Screenshot_20210219-015257_Samsung Internet.jpg

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Man, he’s been absolutely unreal this year. He’s playing with so much confidence and purpose, and I LOVE that he’s becoming more of a goal scorer. Makes him much harder to defend, trans are having to respect his shot more, which only opens up his passing lanes even more.

He’s also tied for the league lead in +/-, which is fun :) Every part of his game is better really - better defensively, doing better in physical battles, improved shot and nose for the net, fewer bad turnovers, playing with more confidence, less wild and more constantly in control, just a beast. He’s really starting to look like Patrick Kane 2.0.

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
OK, I have to eat crow and give credit when due. Marner has been a phenomona this year. I have been dumping on him and Paul for two years. But he has turned into a righty Patty Kane and only 23.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The deke in the OT in the Monday game and tonight's roof job were pretty outrageous displays from Marner. Other than that the trio with Matthews and Thornton has been spectacular. Marner and Matthews are now 3rd and 4th in league scoring, which perfectly aligns with where both are paid.
It’s too bad that OT chance didn’t finish, it was unreal.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Marner is a magician. I still believe that he will be leading the Leafs in scoring more seasons than Matthews will. Just an incredible talent who can make plays that only very few can.

Reactions: therealkoho

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I couldn't believe some of the nonsense coming out of the fevered little minds and mouths of LeaFlanders during and after the contract negotiations, anytime Mitch was having some struggles. I kept thinking that you morons(and you know who you are!) don't deserve having this kid playing in Toronto. Mitchell is only 23 and is closing in on his peak and I say closing in because he's not quite there yet, yes there is still more to come.

I've said in the past that Mitch may go down as the greatest Leaf ever and even with Auston here I still believe it's possible, while Auston I think may tie Darryl's single game(6) goal scoring record someday. Mitchell I think has a real chance at breaking the single game point record (6G 4A). This young man puts up multi point games without even messing his hair up, yesterday's 4 pointer was I think the 3rd or 4th of his career, some guys play their whole lives and never record a 4 pointer and here he is doing it at this level. It's a marvel to behold, so sit back and enjoy.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
3rd in the NHL in points
1st in the NHL in ES points
1st in the NHL in +/-
More Ice time than McDavid
Weeeew lads, what a season so far

Status
Not open for further replies.