Missed Icing? Sweden vs. Russia. + Lehner Reaction

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Wow, I must add I find it rather "surprising" that the Canadian - needless to say somewhat religiously Pro-Can - communion we know as "TSN.CA", actually recognize the call as a bad call. Seemingly anyway.
They tend to be kind of subjective at times.

Well see how the reactions and the opinions change momentarily.

IMO, that was a bad call. A confusing one. Hell, even the announcers wanted to fight about it...

Imagine. A Canadian sports network being pro-Canadian.

I guess they should be pro-Czech or pro-Russian or pro-Norway next year.:help:

Evil Romano

Jan 3, 2011
Bassano Vicenza
Imagine. A Canadian sports network being pro-Canadian.

I guess they should be pro-Czech or pro-Russian or pro-Norway next year.:help:

Get the picture, dammit. I was referring to the fact that they tend to be religiously pro-can - meaning that they would ignore facts and twist the truth in order to benefit Canada. But since they're playing Russia and not Sweden, the bashing may be pointed at the Russians. :p:

FanHabtic*

Whether or not is was a bad call is irrelevant. The fact is that you play until you hear the whistle. What Lehrner did was a rookie mistake.

Boom King

Dec 11, 2010
He makes the call wayyyyy too late. That call needs to be made by the time the puck hits the top of the circle, not when it's just clearing the bottom. That's basic officiating, and it's very clearly emphasized in any officiating clinic you ever attend. The Swedes deserved their fate, but that doesn't change the fact that the liney didn't do his job properly.

Watch the video again, it was not too late. As soon as the puck got by the Swedish defenseman and he pivoted, the linesman waived it off as I can only assume that the linesman felt that the Swedish player had a chance to play it. Although it was a botched call, the linesman did follow proper procedure afterwards to announce or signal the waiving of the icing.

If the waiving of the arms by the linesman or yelling of "No!" wasn't enough, the fact that there was no whistle once the puck crossed the line should have been the final clue. Instead, the Swedish defenseman stopped skating and just watched the puck cross over the line and seemed to just stare at the puck as it bounced of the end boards. He should have also clearly seen the Russian player flying into the zone to get the puck and his Swedish defense partner chasing after him on the other side of the ice. Then you have two Swedish players behind their own net chasing after one Russian player.

mobilus

Five and a game
Jan 6, 2009
high slot
You can clearly hear the other linesman yelling "No! No! No!". I can't believe the Swedish players didn't hear or understand that.
Despite anything heard, a goalie especially should only react to the linesman's arm in the air, and do likewise to let his defense know if icing is coming by raising his own hand in the air. Any player on the ice could be yelling "No! No! No!".... or a fan or a coach on the bench. Audio should never be taken for fact except when it's a whistle.

I'm sorry but do linesmen yell "No! No! No!" when calling off an icing?

Btw, no one is saying we would have won if this had been icing, but I agree with Mckenzie, we do have the right to be a bit pissed at this (though mostly at our defencemen.)
So way to go trying to make us look like bad losers ;)

The back linesman will yell to the forward linesman (closest to the goal line) as the forward linesman is the one who actually blows the whistle. This only happens if the back linesman's already indicated an icing, then changed the call mid-play... reason being the forward linesman will now have his eyes watching for the puck to cross the line. The forward linesman will look back to see if the call is actually waved off before putting away his whistle, to make sure it's not a player or non-participant that's yelling "No!"

My opinion the Swedes have a legit grievance. To me it was a bad call, no reason for it to be waived off. I don't care which way the defenseman turned, he couldn't reach that puck... nor could he outskate it coming into his zone. The thing is with North American officials they expect you to try your best to reach the puck, even when it's impossible and obvious to the player they can't get it. From beer leagues to junior, I've seen icings waved off because the skater didn't hustle after the impossible. This was just one of those once-every-five-years plays that caught the Swedish defense and goalie off guard. It happens, nobody ever trains for these things.

Sayuri

Dec 30, 2006
Alberta, Canada
I'm sorry but do linesmen yell "No! No! No!" when calling off an icing?

Btw, no one is saying we would have won if this had been icing, but I agree with Mckenzie, we do have the right to be a bit pissed at this (though mostly at our defencemen.)
So way to go trying to make us look like bad losers ;)

They've been doing that all tournament. I noticed it first in pre-tournament action and it continued in every game I watched.

I don't blame him for being upset though, it was a bad call and he's obviously frustrated.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
I wonder how many players really believe that?

I bet you most of them do. What better way to explain your losing than to blame "the system".

Hell, 95% of the people on this board do it when their team loses...why should the players be any different?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Get the picture, dammit. I was referring to the fact that they tend to be religiously pro-can - meaning that they would ignore facts and twist the truth in order to benefit Canada. But since they're playing Russia and not Sweden, the bashing may be pointed at the Russians. :p:

Those boys are pro-Canadian (as they should be, because they are a bunch of Canadians broadcasting to Canadians), but sometimes I feel like they do too much to overcompensate for what you are saying exists, but doesn't.

Evil Romano

Jan 3, 2011
Bassano Vicenza
I bet you most of them do. What better way to explain your losing than to blame "the system".

Hell, 95% of the people on this board do it when their team loses...why should the players be any different?

The "system"... Well, I gotta break it to you - there is surely a "system" alright, for Canada's benefit. You have a diplomatic veto and power to affect and have a great impact on the "Hockey politics"; with this political use of power, you can use your influence to modify the structure and the rules. That is, you can - to exemplify - decide when to play certain games, because you have an interest and a profit to look after, and you use your veto to have it your way. Not even the US is near your influential power regarding the Hockey Association, and its subcategories. I am not saying this makes you win - I am saying you have an almost totalitarian voice to use, when other nations don't. Simple as that. Whether this is a factor that helps you win or not, I don't know. But it is indeed autocracy and a somewhat hegemonic system in terms of hockey.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
The "system"... Well, I gotta break it to you - there is surely a "system" alright, for Canada's benefit. You have a diplomatic veto and power to affect and have a great impact on the "Hockey politics"; with this political use of power, you can use your influence to modify the structure and the rules. That is, you can - to exemplify - decide when to play certain games, because you have an interest and a profit to look after, and you use your veto to have it your way. Not even the US is near your influential power regarding the Hockey Association, and its subcategories. I am not saying this makes you win - I am saying you have an almost totalitarian voice to use, when other nations don't. Simple as that. Whether this is a factor that helps you win or not, I don't know. But it is indeed autocracy and a somewhat hegemonic system in terms of hockey.

You and I have an extremely different view of the inner workings of the IIHF.

MarcPiquesFan

Oct 12, 2009
Hull
This call just deprived Sweden from their gold medal. IMO, it's the best team in the tournament and they deserve the gold medal. There is no way it's not a icing. When even the Russian players stopped skating, it's because it is obvious, no?

mobilus

Five and a game
Jan 6, 2009
high slot
I'd go with Evil Romano on that. In the 70s and 80s, Hockey Canada's influence with the IIHF was the opposite. Officiating back then was entirely Euro-based (stylewise... what's a penalty and what isn't). The old Soviet Union had tremendous influence with the IIHF. Today it's the opposite. More money is made here, hence more influence... and if people don't think that Hockey Canada is above gaining any edge they can, they're underestimating Hockey Canada. Despite the odd mistakes, officiating is almost NHL quality now. 30 years ago Canadian teams were forever punished with penalties that were not consistent with their home leagues in the CHL. NA tournament scheduling are now entirely based upon suitability for the Canadian TV audience, as that's a cash cow. Even the format change from the old straight round robin tournament was changed through the influence of the Canada Cup. The current system of quarterfinals, semis and finals as per today's tournament drives a larger TV audience, and higher gate revenue. A ticket for a gold metal game goes for a far different price than a preliminary game. This wasn't possible with the old round robin format, as a final game might have been meaningless to the standings.

Money holds the leash, in hockey, politics, big business.... everywhere.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

And we used 'the system' to get us in the pool of death with the Swedes and Russians? And 'the system' helped Kassian get a 2 game suspension for a hit to the head call, while a hit to the head tonight by a US player on Cizikas broke his visor, yet no penalty was even called. If Canada controlled 'the system', they would have had the New Years Eve game in the evening for TV ratings - but that didn't happen, did it. You sound like Lehner's speech writer - when you lose, just blame Canada. Any other conspiracy theories? :shakehead

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Lehner needs to grow up. First off the linesman yelled NO NO NO, you don't go looking for a signal when it's being screamed. Second, it had nothing to do with the final result because Sweden came back anyway to tie it. They just lost fair and square. Also to bring up Canada all the time is really giving Sweden a bad name. I have to agree with another poster the last few tournaments the way the Swedes have acted is a bit unprofessional. Going back to MPS comments, to last year with Markstrom's antics and now this year with the coach and now Lehner with his tantrum. Gotta change that attitude.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Did anyone else think that the Swedes came in worrying a little too much about Canada? Or is it just that the Canadian journalists were asking a lot of questions to Sweden about Canada?

It just seemed like the Swedes always had something to say about Canada. Why on earth would Lehner bring up Canada in the post game interview? Totally came out of the blue.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005

I think in this case the system was helping the Swedes out more than anyone else. The Swedes played the Russians on less than a days rest and also the Czech Republic on less than one days rest.

That was the biggest joke of the tournament.

pouskin74*

This call just deprived Sweden from their gold medal. IMO, it's the best team in the tournament and they deserve the gold medal. There is no way it's not a icing. When even the Russian players stopped skating, it's because it is obvious, no?

WHAT?? Who scored then??:laugh:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Was at the game. Great game!!! Would have enjoyed it more if I wasn't so nervous about the Canada US game.

The Swedes played well but were nowhere near as good as they were New Years Eve.

The game they played on NYE would have beat anyone in this tournament.

Stanley Foobrick

Clockwork Blue
Apr 2, 2007
Fooville, Ontario
Whether the call was correct or not can be argued for days. But the real mistake was Lehner not playing the puck. Right, or wrong the linesman was yelling, no, no, no.....anyone who has ever played the game in an organized league, much less having already made the AHL, knows the linesman is talking about NO icing..... why Lehner sat in his net and didn't play the puck is what the goalie should be explaining after the game.

Pyke*

Whether the call was correct or not can be argued for days. But the real mistake was Lehner not playing the puck. Right, or wrong the linesman was yelling, no, no, no.....anyone who has ever played the game in an organized league, much less having already made the AHL, knows the linesman is talking about NO icing..... why Lehner sat in his net and didn't play the puck is what the goalie should be explaining after the game.

It was a blown call. I feel bad for the Swedes.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
What whiner. Canada is often the victim of bad officiating despite what the Swedish propaganda union says.

They waved it off because the Swedish defenseman could have clearly played the puck before it bounced off the boards.

Sweden got the lead because of a ticky tack call so maybe Lehner shouldn't be complaining about those refs.

Stanley Foobrick

Clockwork Blue
Apr 2, 2007
Fooville, Ontario
It was a blown call. I feel bad for the Swedes.

At 44 seconds the defenseman makes no effort to play the puck, at this point the linesman decides to wave the icing. When he sees the goalie squatting for no apparent reason he starts yelling no, no, no.

Could it have been called icing? Sure, but it was a borderline call at best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad