Missed Icing? Sweden vs. Russia. + Lehner Reaction

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
is it icing if it goes through the goalie half-circle? because it barely did. NCAA rules used to not count icing that way. not sure if they still do, but that was the first thing I thought of

Bob McKenzie said it used to be like that in IIHF but that rule was taken out a while ago.

So either gold to Canada or America now - probably Canada though judging by the score. Russia is a non-issue.

Auguste McEscoffier

Oct 20, 2009
He said the refs have double standards and something like this wouldn't have happened to Canada.

What that game has to do with Canada, I don't know.

They really hate us, for some reason.

They love to trash talk.

MPS' little speech before the gold medal game two years ago. :laugh:

I still love him, though.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Yep, that was my first thought. But the IIHF rule book does not mention a crease clause. I wonder if it was a training/confusion issue for the linesmen?

MatthewT

Mar 29, 2008
It has to due with the defensemen pivoting away from the puck. If he pivoted toward the puck when it went by him then the swedes would have a strong case. Although I think they should have called it anyway

PricePkPatch*

I'm Canadian, and I don't really care for either Russia or Sweden, so I think I am fairly neutral.

But I would like to know. Is it a common occurance that the ref, in international hockey (where the play don't have to reach the puck to have it declared icing) that the linesman or reffery cancelled an icing call?

If it isn't, and it just never happens, then I have to say the Swedes are plenty right to be pissed at this call. It icing calls are cancelled at least a few times during tournaments, then they should have kept skating.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
It has to due with the defensemen pivoting away from the puck. If he pivoted toward the puck when it went by him then the swedes would have a strong case. Although I think they should have called it anyway

It should have been called anyway. The D turned the right way for the play.

Tough play for the netminder as he has to watch the linesman's signal and the puck when it is that close to the net.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

What was Lehners reaction? He just waited for the puck to drop.

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
You can clearly hear the other linesman yelling "No! No! No!". I can't believe the Swedish players didn't hear or understand that.

Kalle

Dec 30, 2009
Uppsala
That crease clause was abandoned a few years ago, but that icing was called off when Erixon didn't go for the puck.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
On TSN when they showed the replay you can definitely hear the linesman yelling, "No! No! No!"

he said something about them yelling "icing"

i find it suspicious that so many players were confused and it might be the case that two different refs/linesmen were saying different things

Davebo*

On TSN when they showed the replay you can definitely hear the linesman yelling, "No! No! No!"

You can hear it in the youtube video posted, as well. Not as distinct but it's there. There was no need for Lerner to be 'looking' for any signal - it was called out.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
that was the refs fault.. that is DEFINITELY icing.. and according to lehners interview, they initially yelled icing icing.. thats why they the swedish defenders stopped skating? i donno but that is icing though..

stish

What a sucky little ****. Grow up boy, this is not the first time things won't go your way, and blaming won't help. Take it like a man and play again. YOU made plenty of mistakes in "A tournament like this" as well. It was a crappy call, but learn from it and next time play till the whistle.

Dogkota

Mar 27, 2009
Despite the Swedish lead toward the end of the game and the eventual outcome, he has every right to be pissed off about that call. That is the definition of shoddy officiating and I'd be furious if I was a Swedish fan.

You can't blame the kid; he's frustrated after a very tough loss and a horrendous call that sapped a lot of momentum from the Swedes.

Boom King

Dec 11, 2010
You can clearly see in the video posted that the linesman waived off the icing once the puck hit the boards and also hear him yell "No, No, No!". There was plenty of time for the goalie to play that puck. At the end of the day, in any sport, you can't play the game expecting the refs to make a call. You gotta play until the whistle sounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad