Missed Icing? Sweden vs. Russia. + Lehner Reaction

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
It's the refs fault that both swedish defenseman decided to wander below the goal line leaving the front of the net wide open. Just a complete lack of awareness that Sweden was guilty of for 40 minutes in the hockey game.

milhouse7

Oct 17, 2010
Despite the Swedish lead toward the end of the game and the eventual outcome, he has every right to be pissed off about that call. That is the definition of shoddy officiating and I'd be furious if I was a Swedish fan.

You can't blame the kid; he's frustrated after a very tough loss and a horrendous call that sapped a lot of momentum from the Swedes.

I think it's fair he's upset about the call, but he is also going to have to learn the tough lesson of being a good loser. Not to mention it was the 2nd goal of 4, didn't cost them the game.

The part that is more strange is how he said if it was Canada playing that they wouldnt have a call like that made. As if Canada hasn't had bad calls against us in International hockey. I remember years ago, when this tournament was still played in Europe, Canada had to accept they were going to get 2 or 3 more penalties than any European opponent.

Kalle

Dec 30, 2009
Uppsala
You can clearly see in the video posted that the linesman waived off the icing once the puck hit the boards and also hear him yell "No, No, No!". There was plenty of time for the goalie to play that puck. At the end of the day, in any sport, you can't play the game expecting the refs to make a call. You gotta play until the whistle sounds.

On the other hand, if you are chasing the puck the icing is always called off.

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå
I'm sorry but do linesmen yell "No! No! No!" when calling off an icing?

Btw, no one is saying we would have won if this had been icing, but I agree with Mckenzie, we do have the right to be a bit pissed at this (though mostly at our defencemen.)
So way to go trying to make us look like bad losers ;)

Kalle

Dec 30, 2009
Uppsala
The part that is more strange is how he said if it was Canada playing that they wouldnt have a call like that made. As if Canada hasn't had bad calls against us in International hockey. I remember years ago, when this tournament was still played in Europe, Canada had to accept they were going to get 2 or 3 more penalties than any European opponent.

That's because you play dirty. :naughty:

Davebo*

On the other hand, if you are chasing the puck the icing is always called off.

No.

Chasing the puck is a requirement. They'll wave it off if they see you're unwilling to play the puck

Cybertron84

Apr 9, 2010
Oil Country
The refs as a whole have sucked balls this whole tourney as for Sweden they sucked pretty good today. Russia canada for gold wooooo can't wait till Wednesday

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I'm sorry but do linesmen yell "No! No! No!" when calling off an icing?Btw, no one is saying we would have won if this had been icing, but I agree with Mckenzie, we do have the right to be a bit pissed at this (though mostly at our defencemen.)
So way to go trying to make us look like bad losers ;)

yes? lol

Stanley Foobrick

Clockwork Blue
Apr 2, 2007
Fooville, Ontario
Lehner has pretty damn good English. That's all I got from his rant lol.

RS Scoring RS Goalie Stats PO Scoring
Season Team Lge GP A PIM Min GA EN SO GAA W L T Svs Pct GP A PIM
2009-10 Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds OHL 47 2 15 2574 120 1 5 2.80 27 13 3 1337 0.918 5 0 0
2009-10 Binghamton Senators AHL 2 0 0 120 6 0 0 3.00 2 0 0 53 0.898
2010-11 Ottawa Senators* NHL 2 0 0 34 0 0 0 0.00 0 0 0 10 1.000
2010-11 Binghamton Senators* AHL 10 0 0 581 26 2 2 2.69 3 5 1 272 0.913

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Sweden's had some really bad goals scored on them this tourny. Really unfortunate, I wanted them to face Canada again. That would have been epic.

Russia vs Canada is still great though. Gonna be a good game.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
You can clearly see in the video posted that the linesman waived off the icing once the puck hit the boards and also hear him yell "No, No, No!". There was plenty of time for the goalie to play that puck. At the end of the day, in any sport, you can't play the game expecting the refs to make a call. You gotta play until the whistle sounds.

He makes the call wayyyyy too late. That call needs to be made by the time the puck hits the top of the circle, not when it's just clearing the bottom. That's basic officiating, and it's very clearly emphasized in any officiating clinic you ever attend. The Swedes deserved their fate, but that doesn't change the fact that the liney didn't do his job properly.

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA
Sweden's had some really bad goals scored on them this tourny. Really unfortunate, I wanted them to face Canada again. That would have been epic.

Russia vs Canada is still great though. Gonna be a good game.

No more than anybody else.

Sad that this icing thing gets so much run. It's irrelevant.

Sweden should have won this game with 3-4 goals margin, and choked. They were ahead with 3 minutes left of the game and choked.
Russia won fair and square.

Canadian trolls coming on here seems to be relieved that they got the Lehner intervierw to whine about... what else would they have to whine about tonight?!

Thrillingbroom

Jun 15, 2009
He makes the call wayyyyy too late. That call needs to be made by the time the puck hits the top of the circle, not when it's just clearing the bottom. That's basic officiating, and it's very clearly emphasized in any officiating clinic you ever attend. The Swedes deserved their fate, but that doesn't change the fact that the liney didn't do his job properly.

It was the opposite linesman who waved off the icing, the one you see in the freeze frame with his arm up wasn't the one to wave it off.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Oh my god, stop with the holier than thou-thing already, it doesn't get more obnoxious than that.

Put me on ignore if you like.

It's not a holier than thou statement, I'm not comparing them to any country other than their own. The Swedes have always had my respect for the way they conduct themselves on and off the ice. It seems like the last few world Jrs they are doing everything they can to undermine this reputation. If they were getting results with this attitude it probably wouldn't matter but they aren't.

ahh...just a young kid getting caught up in the emotion...i would give him a pass..

his coach,however, is a a moron and it looks good on him that Sweden lost....:handclap:

Who do you think these young kids take their cues from? Perhaps that's part of the problem.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
ahh...just a young kid getting caught up in the emotion...i would give him a pass..

his coach,however, is a a moron and it looks good on him that Sweden lost....:handclap:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Looked like icing to me, but you play until the whistle, so no excuses.

As for the comments about Canada, he should shut up. However, he is just voicing what a lot of other players believe and are told from a very young age...that Canada somehow gets preferential treatment internationally.

First, that is untrue. I could do some homework and find about 200 bad calls made on Canadian teams in this tournament in the past couple of decades (the latest being the high-sticking call when the USA defenceman hit his own goalie on his head with his stick, and the non-call on the head-shot to Cizikas).

Second, that kind of whining and excuse-making is why you finish with a bronze (maybe) and not a gold, Lehner. Instead of making excuses, be better. You play for Team Canada, you are not allowed to make excuses. Just win. When you don't win, get better.

Pathetic, whiny statements from a loser, that's what I hear.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I view this kinda like a bad call which leads to a PP goal. Yeah it sucks but it happens. And refs tend to even out games anyways so if they know they messed up they tend to call a softie in that team's favour later on. One could make an argument that the call late in the 3rd was of that variety.

I do feel bad for Lander. He's a hell of a player and I look forward to seeing him next preseason. Heck, if his year ends early, I'd be ok with him signing and playing out the remaining games in Edmonton.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Canadian trolls coming on here seems to be relieved that they got the Lehner intervierw to whine about... what else would they have to whine about tonight?!

Ya, not too much to whine about tonight seeing as our team steamrolled the Americans and are on to the gold medal game. Sure am glad Lehner whined to the media so I have something to talk about.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

Are you really surprised people are talking about it? if the Swedish players wouldn't moan about Canada in every interview you wouldn't have to read any of those "omgtrollz" comments.

Evil Romano

Jan 3, 2011
Bassano Vicenza
Wow, I must add I find it rather "surprising" that the Canadian - needless to say somewhat religiously Pro-Can - communion we know as "TSN.CA", actually recognize the call as a bad call. Seemingly anyway.
They tend to be kind of subjective at times.

Well see how the reactions and the opinions change momentarily.

IMO, that was a bad call. A confusing one. Hell, even the announcers wanted to fight about it...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad