Missed Icing? Sweden vs. Russia. + Lehner Reaction

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I've found the majority of Swedish posters to be much like Swedes in general - self-deprecating and humble, with a streak of pretension at times. Pay attention next time there's a GDT involving Sweden and notice how many of them are saying things like, "We're not going to win this one".

It's too easy to judge a fan base on its trolls, most of whom are teenagers. Every team/nation has them, and Lord knows I've been annoyed with Canada's nearly every time I encounter any topic relating to that country and hockey. But you're doing yourself a dishonest disservice to paint with such broad strokes the stereotypes of any fan base or hockey culture. It is one of the uglier things about rivalries, this sort of jingoism that the other fans are guilty of things that yours are not. And that it can change depending on opponent gives it a certain "We've always been at war with Eurasia" feel.

In short, some fans of any team are dolts.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
On the replay you could hardly tell the lineseman was calling it off. It sounded nothing like the other times they call off icing.

Terrible officiating, and the Swedes have every right to be pissed.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Was at the game. Great game!!! Would have enjoyed it more if I wasn't so nervous about the Canada US game.

The Swedes played well but were nowhere near as good as they were New Years Eve.

The game they played on NYE would have beat anyone in this tournament.

Really? Canada looked horrible against the Swedes, and took them to a shootout. The game Canada played last night would beat anyone.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I don't care about the missed icing, **** happens. Shouldn't happen at this level though.

The russians scored with about 90 seconds left in regulation, this was the big problem. Also, we totally dominated the overtime but not being able to score.

Another big problem was poor play by Nemeth and Erixon, they had a bad day, being on the ice for all three goals against..................................

I felt proud being a Swede watching our great play in the third period and overtime though, simply impressive.

This is an increadibly tough loss to handle.

saint2e

Aug 4, 2005
Kitchener, Ontario
Swedes had an excellent team, but I think their coach set them up for failure with his comments and cockiness.

I was hoping Sweden would get to the Gold Medal game in hopes of a rematch with Canada, but really between Russia and Sweden this year, both teams are quite a matchup with Canada.

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
Just mind-boggling that Sweden plays their worst game in the semi-finals... This team wasn't as individually skilled as previous Swedish WJC teams, but they played better as a team, and completed each other better.

I still think the tournament result was "ok" since we beat Canada, I must say. Lifting that mental block by coming back all the time against a home arena, that was strong. Playing like they did against Russia, that was weak. Although the Russian goalie was amazingly good.

But there's no doubt in my mind that Canada blows Russia out completely in the final, sadly.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
I've found the majority of Swedish posters to be much like Swedes in general - self-deprecating and humble, with a streak of pretension at times. Pay attention next time there's a GDT involving Sweden and notice how many of them are saying things like, "We're not going to win this one".

It's too easy to judge a fan base on its trolls, most of whom are teenagers. Every team/nation has them, and Lord knows I've been annoyed with Canada's nearly every time I encounter any topic relating to that country and hockey. But you're doing yourself a dishonest disservice to paint with such broad strokes the stereotypes of any fan base or hockey culture. It is one of the uglier things about rivalries, this sort of jingoism that the other fans are guilty of things that yours are not. And that it can change depending on opponent gives it a certain "We've always been at war with Eurasia" feel.

Yeah, talk about getting assaulted with accusations this last week. I even predicted a gold medal for Canada after Sweden beat them, but somehow people overlook positive stuff.

drew1234

Feb 6, 2008
Toronto
Just mind-boggling that Sweden plays their worst game in the semi-finals... This team wasn't as individually skilled as previous Swedish WJC teams, but they played better as a team, and completed each other better.

I still think the tournament result was "ok" since we beat Canada, I must say. Lifting that mental block by coming back all the time against a home arena, that was strong. Playing like they did against Russia, that was weak. Although the Russian goalie was amazingly good.

But there's no doubt in my mind that Canada blows Russia out completely in the final, sadly.

I thought this was Swedens year personally. After watching the game at the ACC for the exhibition with Canada winning 4-1 Sweden dominated the game if it wasnt for the crazy powerplays Canada had. We were totally outplayed and our scoring chances were next to nil. Cehlin was amazing and the best player on the ice. Even though we lost in the NYE game in a shootout Canada was very lucky with bounces and some weak ones got past Lehner.

Good news for Canada this year is that we dont have to go against the Swedes for the gold and should have a better matchup against Russia but Russia can win any game but I do like our chances better in this game.

FanHabtic*

The ref already called out icing, and then changed his mind.

An icing play should never decide a hockey game. You play until the whistle blows period. If the Swedes are so feeble-minded, that a simple blown icing play decides a game, then they have no business playing international hockey. The reffing in international hockey has always been erratic. Canada has been on the wrong side of international refereeing (ie. penalties for hitting too hard) but fight through it. The Swedes seemed to expect things to be handed to them on a silver platter but instead will be playing for bronze!

Sayuri

Dec 30, 2006
Alberta, Canada

This works both ways however, the Canadian fans that are driving you nuts and inspired a post like this do not portray an accurate depiction of the average Canadian fan.

There are always obnoxious outspoken people when sports are in the mix, it can bring out the worst in people for some reason.

Macman

May 15, 2004

Well said. This should be posted at the top of every international thread.

And I wish Hockeys Future would do a better job of weeding out the dolts. The policy should be one strike and you're out.

Sayuri

Dec 30, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Well said. This should be posted at the top of every international thread.

And I wish Hockeys Future would do a better job of weeding out the dolts. The policy should be one strike and you're out.

This is probably a good idea. Might be something for mods to look at in the future, just an idea though.

Brozak

i scoreded a goal
May 30, 2009
Kitchener, ON
I was really hoping for a rematch showdown in the finals with Canada vs Sweden... Lehner has every right to be pissed about the call, but to bring up "if Canada were in the game it wouldn't have happened.." -- are you kidding? Hahahaha.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Sweden and it fans have much to proud of, and nothing to apologize for.

The call was brutal, the linesman closest to the play signals it immediately, and there was simply no reason to wave it off. It is no touch icing, and it is beyond anyone's wildest imagination to assume either of Sweden's defencemen could have played the puck. Considering the Russian forward was skating all out, didn't have to pivot and he still couldn't get there ahead of the puck, the linesman that waved it off should never do another WJC game.

I can just imagine these boards if this identical play had happen against the Canadian team, the outcry would have been incredible, the fans at the game might have rioted!! There is absolutely no excuse for that call, and whether the Swedes played a great game or not, whether the Russian scored late or not, really doesn't mattered.

As far as Lehner, good for him, he showed emotion, showed he cares, something we like to praise in our young Canadian players.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
Sweden and it fans have much to proud of, and nothing to apologize for.

The call was brutal, the linesman closest to the play signals it immediately, and there was simply no reason to wave it off. It is no touch icing, and it is beyond anyone's wildest imagination to assume either of Sweden's defencemen could have played the puck. Considering the Russian forward was skating all out, didn't have to pivot and he still couldn't get there ahead of the puck, the linesman that waved it off should never do another WJC game.

I can just imagine these boards if this identical play had happen against the Canadian team, the outcry would have been incredible, the fans at the game might have rioted!! There is absolutely no excuse for that call, and whether the Swedes played a great game or not, whether the Russian scored late or not, really doesn't mattered.

As far as Lehner, good for him, he showed emotion, showed he cares, something we like to praise in our young Canadian players.

He didn't show emotion. He whined. He then took an un-called for shot at Canada to boot. We don't praise that.

FanHabtic*

Its one thing to be emotional in the wake of a loss. Its another to take overt shots at the refs and a back-handed statement about Canada's influence in this tournament.

If Lehner made those statements in the NHL he would be fined! It was unprofessional. But then again, he's just an immature kid.

otto84

Sep 27, 2008
Thunder Bay
This works both ways however, the Canadian fans that are driving you nuts and inspired a post like this do not portray an accurate depiction of the average Canadian fan.

There are always obnoxious outspoken people when sports are in the mix, it can bring out the worst in people for some reason.

Yup. Which is why it's unfair to make generalizations about a whole group of people based off the comments of just a few. I've seen ridiculously arrogant, stupid and downright nasty things posted by Canadians. I'd hate to think people thought we were all jack***** like that.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Glad I'm not an Ottawa Senator fan - be hard to cheer
for Lehner now.

:laugh: You're kidding. He's one of the best young goalies in the world and I love the attitude he brings. He's right, if this was a call against Canada it would be one of the debates of the year, but because it's a smaller game, people sweep it under the carpet.

Horrible call, cost the Swedes the game (so did they mind you), I don't blame Lehner at all, I'd be hopping mad as well.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I'm still not certain if Lehner's mention of Canada was a shot at us or not.

He basically said that the referees cost them the game against Russia (who ultimately won) and that wouldn't have happened if they (Sweden) were playing Canada.

It sounds like he's saying that if Sweden played Canada, the referees would have done a better job.

Although it could also be that he's saying if Canada was playing them (Russia) instead, the referees wouldn't have made that call.

otto84

Sep 27, 2008
Thunder Bay
I'm still not certain if Lehner's mention of Canada was a shot at us or not.

He basically said that the referees cost them the game against Russia (who ultimately won) and that wouldn't have happened if they (Sweden) were playing Canada.

It sounds like he's saying that if Sweden played Canada, the referees would have done a better job.

Although it could also be that he's saying if Canada was playing them (Russia) instead, the referees wouldn't have made that call.

No I think he meant that if Canada were in Sweden's place, the refs wouldn't have done that. I see where people can get offended by that remark because it insinuates favoritism.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
An icing play should never decide a hockey game. You play until the whistle blows period. If the Swedes are so feeble-minded, that a simple blown icing play decides a game, then they have no business playing international hockey. The reffing in international hockey has always been erratic. Canada has been on the wrong side of international refereeing (ie. penalties for hitting too hard) but fight through it. The Swedes seemed to expect things to be handed to them on a silver platter but instead will be playing for bronze!

That was a garbage call, that's all. Get off your high horse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->