Miscellaneous NHL Talk XXXI - 2019 Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
He wants a Top6 role on a team. I can’t see a team in the league willing to give him that much time so this was expected.
Yeah, if he can't be a top 6 player on the Oilers, he'll better accept that he's not a top 6 player.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Pool Party needed AHL development time. The Oilers failed him. Just as they have failed many prospects before him.
You will get a kick out of this ; A few years back i was at the arena of the USHL that i scouted for on Saturday morning after the team had played Friday night . Was walking around while some kids were getting put thru the paces on the ice and spotted Paul Coffee . He had one of his kids there skating with the black aces [it was spring break} hoping for them to notice him . I went over and struck up a conversation and got talking draft eligible players and said to him that we had a really good prospect with our team . He said and i quote ; yea i noticed him last night he is really good , I hope Edmonton don't pick him cause they will screw him up too , it's fricken embarrassing .

So even there past great players are shaking their heads , not just us .

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
New scoreboard in the WFC

h7ouqxxqz0j31.jpg

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Yeah, you may be right. I don't think we'll see him in the NHL again though. There can't be many players who went back to Europe because they weren't ready and then come back to NA later and have a successful NHL career.
I don't think too many guys of his pedigree and his age have gone this route (at least I can't think of any off the top of my head that are not Russian, anyway, which I consider a different animal). That being said, if the price on him was minimal to obtain him I think someone would have taken a chance. He's only three years removed from his draft and PLENTY of guys are given opportunity for reclamation/change of scenery, that's why I am thinking it is more an issue of him wanting too much money that triggers a higher RFA compensation pick or the Oilers wanting too much in trade (or possibly his refusal to sign an offer sheet because he thought EDM would match?).

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I don't think too many guys of his pedigree and his age have gone this route (at least I can't think of any off the top of my head that are not Russian, anyway, which I consider a different animal). That being said, if the price on him was minimal to obtain him I think someone would have taken a chance. He's only three years removed from his draft and PLENTY of guys are given opportunity for reclamation/change of scenery, that's why I am thinking it is more an issue of him wanting too much money that triggers a higher RFA compensation pick or the Oilers wanting too much in trade (or possibly his refusal to sign an offer sheet because he thought EDM would match?).

I think he made the right call.

He can probably have a comfortable life playing in Europe and not have to deal with the media/drama that will come with the NHL.

Get a nice house in what by all accounts is a lovely place in the world, some beautiful Scandinavian women, and spend your days playing hockey.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I think he made the right call.

He can probably have a comfortable life playing in Europe and not have to deal with the media/drama that will come with the NHL.

Get a nice house in what by all accounts is a lovely place in the world, some beautiful Scandinavian women, and spend your days playing hockey.
I mean probably but if he wants to play in the NHL it probably isn't the right call. If he just wants to be a pro hockey player then he did. This is just such an Edmonton thing to happen.

On another sad Edmonton note, Nail Yakupov still is the 13th highest point scorer of that draft class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino