Miscellaneous NHL Talk XXXI - 2019 Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Shorter term lengths would be horrible. That’s just going to make the cap hits higher.

I agree that it’s a dumb GM problem that some players get way too many years not a CBA problem.

I wouldn’t mind adding a player & team option to renegotiate a contract one time through an independent arbitrator.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
You are only looking at one side of the coin . It might have worked against Giroux a bit but there are tons of players where it worked out quite well for them . 8 years is protection and job security if injuries play decline etc ...

giphy.gif

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Shorter term lengths would be horrible. That’s just going to make the cap hits higher.

I agree that it’s a dumb GM problem that some players get way too many years not a CBA problem.

I wouldn’t mind adding a player & team option to renegotiate a contract one time through an independent arbitrator.

I'd rather have higher cap hits and shorter terms.

And I don't think a UFA like Hayes would have got a higher cap cap hit if his max contract was 5 years, anyway.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Unless you’re implementing an NBA style luxury cap the higher cap hits are just going to make it even harder to keep good players than it already is as the cap doesn’t move big enough from year to year.

Hayes is a bad contract. That’s on Fletcher for offering a bad contract. The easiest solution to avoiding these things is for the league to stop recycling the same hockey men over & over again. Not making rules to account for their stupidity while making it harder on the GM’s that aren’t morons to build & maintain a team.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Imagine giving Hayes 5 years instead of 7. Who wouldn't like that? Oh I know players association, so strike it is.
From a players point, and their union, longer contracts for players are a very good thing. You can’t fault either for wanting that.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
But longer contracts AREN'T GOOD for MOST players.
The players who get those contracts are the highest paid players, so a small minority of players get the lion's share of cap room, leaving less money for the rest.
With shorter contracts, stars who don't perform have their money freed up earlier and it is made available for other players.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The L.A. Kings are one of those doomed franchises in sports that can never get a uniform right.

Their logo should simply be a scepter with a hockey blade, which has the added benefit of looking like an "L" for Los Angeles.

Reactions: Beef Invictus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad