Miscellaneous NHL Talk XXXI - 2019 Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
One of the worst in the business, yet somehow the most well-known.
Being awful/controversial makes people talk about (read: mock) you, but that buzz helps him out, even if it’s negative.

For example, as soon as the guy posts a list, people quickly read it so they can mock him and post in on here.

Reactions: Rebels57

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It makes me chuckle to think a cap strapped aging team, with a totally empty prospect pool, desperately in need of impact ELC players to stay competitive........chose Ryan Merkley. Not Miller, Sandin, Lundkvist, or whoever. But Ryan Merkley.

It's a garbage pick even for a team with a great prospect pool. No idea what anyone ever saw in him. But the Sharks don't even own their 1st in 2020. That means in the last 5 years, they will likely have only 1 1st rounder in the organization: Ryan Merkley. Good luck with that.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It makes me chuckle to think a cap strapped aging team, with a totally empty prospect pool, desperately in need of impact ELC players to stay competitive........chose Ryan Merkley. Not Miller, Sandin, Lundkvist, or whoever. But Ryan Merkley.

It's a garbage pick even for a team with a great prospect pool. But the Sharks don't even own their 1st in 2020. That means in the last 5 years, they will likely have only 1 1st rounder in the organization: Ryan Merkley. Good luck with that.

I was not aware the Sharks situation was that dire. Did they not hear the cautionary ballad of Paul Holmgren?

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I know this is not one of our prospects but he is a Manitoba kid drafted 1st overall in the whl draft and played with Patrick and Provorov . Stelio Mathois has been battling testicular cancer for the last couple of months and will miss Carolinia,s camp he was a pick of theirs a couple years back. Here hoping for a full and quick recovery!

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Pronman is bad....except that year he said the Flyers had the top prospect pool. ;)

This year...he still has to release his top 9...and we are in it.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
So no NHL team had any interest in him? Not surprising.

I don't think we'll hear of him again.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
So no NHL team had any interest in him? Not surprising.

I don't think we'll hear of him again.
Could be that he was asking for too much? To sign him without compensation it would have to be under $1.4 million essentially. I imagine that EDM matches that if he signs for that he doesn't want to play in EDM. He was probably asking for more and teams probably didn't want to give up a 3rd rounder? Who knows? I wonder what happens if he rips it up in Europe if EDM would be able to get something for him or if they would try and convince him to play there? I would feel bad for EDM but they always blow draft picks so it is hard to just keep feeling bad for them.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Could be that he was asking for too much? To sign him without compensation it would have to be under $1.4 million essentially. I imagine that EDM matches that if he signs for that he doesn't want to play in EDM. He was probably asking for more and teams probably didn't want to give up a 3rd rounder? Who knows? I wonder what happens if he rips it up in Europe if EDM would be able to get something for him or if they would try and convince him to play there? I would feel bad for EDM but they always blow draft picks so it is hard to just keep feeling bad for them.
Yeah, you may be right. I don't think we'll see him in the NHL again though. There can't be many players who went back to Europe because they weren't ready and then come back to NA later and have a successful NHL career.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Pool Party needed AHL development time. The Oilers failed him. Just as they have failed many prospects before him.

I thought players didn't need AHL time, you can just plug them into the NHL and they'll learn on the job.
Or so I've been told around here.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad