Miscellaneous NHL Talk XXXI - 2019 Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I assume I didnt need to go into that much detail, but my point was that this place woulsve been abaolutely mad had Hextall sold Giroux.
Personally, when the options are to suck for 5 years being mediocre, and suck for 5 years being being absolutely awful (like we would have been if we went full rebuild), I would choose the latter. Not going full rebuild and trading Simmonds/Jake was a huge error, we just don't know if it was Hex's error or he was pressured into it by the higher ups.

Reactions: Ruck Over

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Goaltending was difficult to address last year given what was available in the free agent market and with two vets under contract for one more year. I hated that Hexy did nothing, but I don't know what the trade market was like, either. Hart is a wild card, but it seems like Hexy was comfortable waiting for him to make the show, even if he was slow playing the promotion.

I don't know how everyone else feels about it, but to me Hextall bringing back Neuvy was a huge whiff. Neuvy was coming off the 16-17 season where he looked shaky and, as his entire career had shown, unable to stay healthy. Doubling down on someone who has played more than 40 games once in their career (6 years prior mind you) largely because of injury concerns and saying that is someone who you expect to share the starter job is being incredibly optimistic (or naive, depending on how you look at it).

Reactions: Down2ClownAmac4Life

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Still defending Hextall when he refused to fire Hak when it was clear 2 years ago he needed to go is quite histerical to me. Dude allowed the spirit of the franchise to be sucked out and the reputation to be tarnished all over blind loyalty. f*** em!

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Still defending Hextall when he refused to fire Hak when it was clear 2 years ago he needed to go is quite histerical to me. Dude allowed the spirit of the franchise to be sucked out and the reputation to be tarnished all over blind loyalty. **** em!

I won’t for a second believe that Hakstol wouldn’t be here if Hextall was still employed.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree...and I miswrote. We should have said we should have added a C last year...but it didn't have to be a #2C. It needed to be a #2 or #3 capable of playing "up" if needed.

Because even if Patrick played well, we still were betting on Weal as our #3C who was not able to step up...let alone be a solid #3.

Where I don't agree...is that G and F are completely different because only 1 goalie plays at a time. If Patrick comes our guns a blazing, Hayes can slide down. If Frost AND Patrick come out guns a blazing, Hayes can go to wing. And while Elliott should not have been trusted in a starters role, having him in a backup 20-30 game role is certainly not the same.

Anyways...I am done here. We know where each other stand. Off to do other things.
Yeah, I know G and F are very different, I'm just talking in the very general sense of letting a top prospect have a chance at filling a role you THINK they can handle, and then you'll make adjustments IF they can't.

And yeah, we don't need to continue. This kinda went off course from my original point anyway, which was that the moves adding JVR+Folin shouldn't be looked at as wildy different than adding Hayes+Niskanen+Braun.

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I see we're still looking at things in black and white only.

sBGw5MruxAyiI.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Pointing out why Hakstol can't be absolved of blame = defending Hextall? lol k

Guess we missed where Hextall got blamed a ton.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Lol, are people still pretending like Hextall was the biggest problem in the organization over the last 5 years?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I am not sure if it s directed at me but I don’t think Hexy was the biggest problem but he definitely wasn’t without blame.
The bigger problem may have been Hak but Hexy had the ability to change that and didn’t.
Hexy did really good things to set up the org with big time assets.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
I don’t want to wait until the last moment to pick a theme song for the team’s playoff run and get stuck with something like Country Road or Gloria.

Suggestions?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don’t want to wait until the last moment to pick a theme song for the team’s playoff run and get stuck with something like Country Road or Gloria.

Suggestions?

I nominate either Foo Fighters Learn to Fly or You Make My Dreams by Hall & Oates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad