Miscellaneous NHL Talk XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
Need some HF data miners, has an emergency backup like Irbe was ever gotten into a game? I wish somehow they would. I would like to see the web designer for the Capitalsgo up against pros.

I can't find any records of a emergency back up actually playing since two goalies became mandatory. Chris Levesque probably came closest as a backup on Vancouver when the starter Johan Hedberg got injured but was able to continue - probably knowing who was the backup.

Edit: Hey look at that, Beef found one.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Chicago had one too, a minor leaguer they found in a bar. But Lester Patrick is far funnier to me, at least.

The Chicago guy is in that article too.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
I was hoping in the modern era. I would've loved to see Irbe get in there. Maybe Jeff Reese will have to suit up for the Flyers some day, wherein he will realize the tips he gives his goalies in fact don't work.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
More on Patrick from Wikipedia:

"Patrick is famous for an incident which occurred during the Stanley Cup finals of 1928. At the age of 44 years, 3 months, 9 days, while serving as coach and general manager of the Rangers, Patrick inserted himself into the April 8 playoff game to play goal against the Montreal Maroons, when starting goaltender Lorne Chabot suffered an eye injury after being hit by the puck in the second period. This is a record for the oldest goalie to play in the Stanley Cup Finals that still stands today. At the time it was not common for teams to have a backup goaltender, and the opposing team's coach had to allow a substitute goaltender. However the Maroon's manager-coach Eddie Gerard refused to give permission for the Rangers to use Alec Connell, the Ottawa Senator's star netminder who was in the stands, as well as minor-leaguer Hugh McCormick. Odie Cleghorn, the then-coach of the Pittsburgh Pirates, stood in for Patrick as coach for the remainder of the game, and directed the Rangers to check fiercely at mid-ice which limited the Maroon players to long harmless shots. Patrick saved 18 to 19 shots while allowing one goal in helping the Rangers to an overtime victory.[5] For the next three games, the league gave permission for the Rangers to use Joe Miller from the New York Americans in goal. The Rangers went on to win the Stanley Cup.[6][1]"

So there were better options, but their hand was forced :laugh:

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
There are sure a lot of dopes on the Main Boards...I have to just avoid those boards to maintain my sanity.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Need some HF data miners, has an emergency backup like Irbe was ever gotten into a game? I wish somehow they would. I would like to see the web designer for the Capitalsgo up against pros.

Maurice Roberts in 1951 was an assistant coach for the Blackhawks and became the oldest goaltender to ever play when the starter went down in the 3rd period of a game, he suited up. He was 45 10 days from his 46th birthday. Also the last player that was active in the 1920s to play in a game.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
I'm not so impressed by the age of the replacement guys, I'd just love to see a guy like I mentioned: the old web designer backup the Caps had, a guy who has little to no pro experience, going up against pros. I would love to see what happens

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I was hoping in the modern era. I would've loved to see Irbe get in there. Maybe Jeff Reese will have to suit up for the Flyers some day, wherein he will realize the tips he gives his goalies in fact don't work.

I believe he nearly suited up last year (as a backup of course) when Heeter was rushed in as an emergency backup. He took warm-ups that's how close they cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad