Miscellaneous NHL Talk XLIII - April showers

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackandOrange

Jul 12, 2018
Breadalbane, PE
Oufff, don't know what I was thinking when I said 1 v 24, 2 v 23. Suppose my point was if weaker teams get to make the dance, the strongest teams should get rewarded and be able to feast on them. If the season isn't completed and goes right into the Playoffs, I'm not too keen on the Flyers playing a now relatively healthy Pens squad. We'll have to wait and see what format the league gives us.

A bye could be either a blessing or a curse. You get to stay healthy, but are rusty. Without a bye you risk injuries or getting upset. Especially if they make play-in series or the first round 3 or 5 games. (hockey is the biggest crudshoot of the 4 big NA sports).

Anyways, I think we all want this madness soon behind us, so we can get back to watching the Flyers.

Reactions: orangey

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Don't kill me so fast since I've been in Italy for a few of these years - but how long has it been since 610 WIP moved to 94 WIP?

lol

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I was listening to a Chuck Fletcher interview from last week and he made a good point (bias and all) if you do the draft before the season finishes, you are penalizing the team that picks 26th since they get no reward for having a good season. Of course there is a competitive balance issue, but still...

My proposal: Lottery the day before the draft. Every spot up for grabs. Weight it enough so the best teams have long odds to get the top picks, but make it a possibility. Show the Lottery live. Boom.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Doing the draft before the end of the season cuts into the ability of the clubs to make deals for players. It’s silly. It’s understandable for the NHL to want to grab some of the interest that the NFL tapped into with their draft but holding it before the end of the season isn’t the way to go. Holding the lottery with the non PO teams would work but not doing the draft.

Reactions: Rebels57

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I was listening to a Chuck Fletcher interview from last week and he made a good point (bias and all) if you do the draft before the season finishes, you are penalizing the team that picks 26th since they get no reward for having a good season. Of course there is a competitive balance issue, but still...

My proposal: Lottery the day before the draft. Every spot up for grabs. Weight it enough so the best teams have long odds to get the top picks, but make it a possibility. Show the Lottery live. Boom.
And Pittsburgh still ends up winning it :thumbu:

Reactions: Larry44

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Doing the draft before the end of the season cuts into the ability of the clubs to make deals for players. It’s silly. It’s understandable for the NHL to want to grab some of the interest that the NFL tapped into with their draft but holding it before the end of the season isn’t the way to go. Holding the lottery with the non PO teams would work but not doing the draft.

Seems like they just want to get it done before a lot of front office contracts expire on June 30th.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Oufff, don't know what I was thinking when I said 1 v 24, 2 v 23. Suppose my point was if weaker teams get to make the dance, the strongest teams should get rewarded and be able to feast on them. If the season isn't completed and goes right into the Playoffs, I'm not too keen on the Flyers playing a now relatively healthy Pens squad. We'll have to wait and see what format the league gives us.

A bye could be either a blessing or a curse. You get to stay healthy, but are rusty. Without a bye you risk injuries or getting upset. Especially if they make play-in series or the first round 3 or 5 games. (hockey is the biggest crudshoot of the 4 big NA sports).

Anyways, I think we all want this madness soon behind us, so we can get back to watching the Flyers.
I think it would be a huge disadvantage for the teams that get the bye.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You could have the top 4 teams in each conference getting a bye, then the bottom 8 playing a single game to make it to the real playoffs. That way the teams with a bye aren't missing out on much. Points% determines seeding and none of the terrible Divisional shit.

1 Bos v winner of (8 CBJ v 9 Tor)
2 TB v winner of (7 NYI v 10 Fla)
3 Was v winner of (6 Car v 11 NYR)
4 Phi v winner of (5 Pit v 12 Mon)

1 StL v winner of (8 v Cal v 9 Win)
2 Col v winner of (7 Nas v 10 Min)
3 VGK v winner of (6 Van v 11 Arz)
4 Dal v winner of (5 Edm v 12 Chi)

Last edited:

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
They should figure out the season resumption plan...announce it...and then have the draft and allow trades that would count for the resumed season. Itd be like having draft day and trade deadline day all in one! Talk about hype!

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Watching bos replay. After watching Leighton putz around whole game and get posted multiple times it is so nice to have Hart for 10 years and not have to hold your breath (even when you know the final outcome).

Reactions: Rebels57

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Lorne, what if there is a training camp that features way too many games against the Islanders?
Well, at least that would be something familiar. It is funny how we always seem to play the same 2-3 teams during pre-season. Islanders, Rangers, and Boston.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
10 years ago tonight

One of the things i remember about this day is the fact that the pre-game thread was some sort of high-level intellectual discussion. Like, legitimately. Don't remember what it was specifically, I think it was something about science, but it reminded me of the scene from Little Big League where the Twins are preparing for the playoff game by helping Billy with his homework.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If they went back to Boucher, they could have maybe won in 7.

I often wander that but wasn't Boucher having some knee issues or something like that? I remember when he came in to relieve Leighton in Game 1 he had really limited lateral movement on the GWG against (Kopecky?).

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Chicago series and the Tampa one we could have had. I thought we were going to truck Tampa in game 7. Instead it was a boring as hell game that Tampa played well. Torts is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad