Miscellaneous NHL Talk XLIII - April showers

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
What does everyone think about a shorthanded goal ending a powerplay? Heard this mentioned on a podcast and I would like to see it tried somewhere before dropping it in the NHL, but I like it. A true penalty "kill".

Only drawback is that it might make powerplays more conservative (back to 2 defensemen on the points), but I think teams would figure it out. Too much skill and space to stay too conservative.

Edit: should say this would only apply to a minor penalty.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
What does everyone think about a shorthanded goal ending a powerplay? Heard this mentioned on a podcast and I would like to see it tried somewhere before dropping it in the NHL, but I like it. A true penalty "kill".

Only drawback is that it might make powerplays more conservative (back to 2 defensemen on the points), but I think teams would figure it out. Too much skill and space to stay too conservative.

Against, because it would kill the potential for hilarious moments like this

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Gudas' interview to the Czech outlet (google translate) and his opinion on restart:

Pokračování u Capitals? Už není šance, říká Gudas. Věří, že v NHL práci sežene
Continuation at Capitals? There's no chance, Gudas says. He believes he will get a job in the NHL
May 11
May 12
AUTHOR CT sport
My opinion is clear, the interrupted NHL season should not be over. Possibilities for its completion are still being sought, but Washington defender Radko Gudas is upset that money is a gamble on the health of players when, for example, NHL hockey players do not go to the Olympics because of the risk of injury. He would be playing for the Capitals this year, but he does not hope for another sequel in their jersey.
Radko Gudas
SOURCE: ČTK AUTHOR: Paprskář Pavel
"I don't think it should be played when the whole world is canceling the seasons. Hockey would probably be the only team sport that would push it like that. They don't let us go to the Olympics so we don't get hurt, and at this time they want to continue the NHL season. "If we continued to play, our sport would go a little against the flow," said Gudas in Beroun, where he participated in a golf tournament.
"Money is money and is currently moving the world. It is a bit sad that for money they are willing to risk the health of so many players," added the 29-year-old quarterback.
According to him, there would be a huge problem if a hockey player became infected with coronavirus. "When one guy catches it, it basically has a whole league within a week. By the way they plan to have to play with everyone. One stupid stutter and it can be canceled again. The question is whether it makes sense to go there under this risk. , "Gudas pointed out.
According to him, the NHL would lose its atmosphere and charm in empty stadiums. "If you're doing well, the audience pushes you to win, when you're losing, fans can sometimes wake up the whole team. Don't have that background, the magic of hockey in the NHL is lost. It could be played here in Beroun and it will work out the same way," he said. former player of the Philadelphia Flyers or Tampa Bay Lightning.
He doesn't even think of a proposal to extend the NHL to July or August and place the teams in isolation without families for several months. "I don't think players can be locked in a room all summer. It's also a step into some personal freedom. In the summer, you can focus on yourself and your family. Now everyone has been home for two or three months, but to spend the summer somewhere. In a hotel room, it's depressed to me as done, "said Gudas, whose Capitals are third in the Eastern Conference after 69 of 82 NHL base games.
Washington is struggling with a salary cap
If the suspended year of the world's most famous hockey competition starts again, it will be completed in Washington. But next season, he probably won't wear the Capitals jersey anymore. "I don't think there is a chance. They are already fighting against the salary cap. They have young players there and they will play under contracts that will definitely be more acceptable to them. I think the boys whose contracts expire will leave Washington a lot," Gudas said.
At the end of March, he moved home from the USA and has not yet considered any new engagements during the break. "I believe I will stay in the NHL. Some teams have problems with defense. At the moment I keep fit and sometimes I look at the e-mail, what it looks like with the league, we call the boys, we write. That's probably all for it. "I can do it now. I'm waiting for the free market to open," he said.
"I can play with my history anywhere. I don't decide where and for how long. It's the music of the future, I'll deal with it on the spot. The family will go everywhere with me, I'm lucky I don't have any big conditions," added father of three Gudas .
Zdroj: Pokračování u Capitals? Už není šance, říká Gudas. Věří, že v NHL práci sežene

Last edited:
Reactions: Stizzle

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Gudas' interview to the Czech outlet (google translate) and his opinion on restart:

Pokračování u Capitals? Už není šance, říká Gudas. Věří, že v NHL práci sežene
Continuation at Capitals? There's no chance, Gudas says. He believes he will get a job in the NHL
May 11
May 12
AUTHOR CT sport
My opinion is clear, the interrupted NHL season should not be over. Possibilities for its completion are still being sought, but Washington defender Radko Gudas is upset that money is a gamble on the health of players when, for example, NHL hockey players do not go to the Olympics because of the risk of injury. He would be playing for the Capitals this year, but he does not hope for another sequel in their jersey.
Radko Gudas
SOURCE: ČTK AUTHOR: Paprskář Pavel
"I don't think it should be played when the whole world is canceling the seasons. Hockey would probably be the only team sport that would push it like that. They don't let us go to the Olympics so we don't get hurt, and at this time they want to continue the NHL season. "If we continued to play, our sport would go a little against the flow," said Gudas in Beroun, where he participated in a golf tournament.
"Money is money and is currently moving the world. It is a bit sad that for money they are willing to risk the health of so many players," added the 29-year-old quarterback.
According to him, there would be a huge problem if a hockey player became infected with coronavirus. "When one guy catches it, it basically has a whole league within a week. By the way they plan to have to play with everyone. One stupid stutter and it can be canceled again. The question is whether it makes sense to go there under this risk. , "Gudas pointed out.
According to him, the NHL would lose its atmosphere and charm in empty stadiums. "If you're doing well, the audience pushes you to win, when you're losing, fans can sometimes wake up the whole team. Don't have that background, the magic of hockey in the NHL is lost. It could be played here in Beroun and it will work out the same way," he said. former player of the Philadelphia Flyers or Tampa Bay Lightning.
He doesn't even think of a proposal to extend the NHL to July or August and place the teams in isolation without families for several months. "I don't think players can be locked in a room all summer. It's also a step into some personal freedom. In the summer, you can focus on yourself and your family. Now everyone has been home for two or three months, but to spend the summer somewhere. In a hotel room, it's depressed to me as done, "said Gudas, whose Capitals are third in the Eastern Conference after 69 of 82 NHL base games.
Washington is struggling with a salary cap
If the suspended year of the world's most famous hockey competition starts again, it will be completed in Washington. But next season, he probably won't wear the Capitals jersey anymore. "I don't think there is a chance. They are already fighting against the salary cap. They have young players there and they will play under contracts that will definitely be more acceptable to them. I think the boys whose contracts expire will leave Washington a lot," Gudas said.
At the end of March, he moved home from the USA and has not yet considered any new engagements during the break. "I believe I will stay in the NHL. Some teams have problems with defense. At the moment I keep fit and sometimes I look at the e-mail, what it looks like with the league, we call the boys, we write. That's probably all for it. "I can do it now. I'm waiting for the free market to open," he said.
"I can play with my history anywhere. I don't decide where and for how long. It's the music of the future, I'll deal with it on the spot. The family will go everywhere with me, I'm lucky I don't have any big conditions," added father of three Gudas .
Zdroj: Pokračování u Capitals? Už není šance, říká Gudas. Věří, že v NHL práci sežene

He makes a lot of good points.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

I'm for it now we have Hayes and Yeo.

It would not have been good in the pathetically passive Hex/Hak era. The Flyers had the fewest SHG in the league; even fewer than Vegas who played 164 games compared to Philly's 410. :eek:

NHL.com Stats

Reactions: CanadianFlyer88

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
8FD1FFFC-14D3-4D15-93DE-D4B00686A582.jpeg

9CE69C06-C7DF-4B11-A318-DEB1A074C36D.jpeg

2461F179-B498-4F45-A7DA-3D101AE43897.jpeg

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
If it’s a closed system and everyone is negative going into it then there’s 0 risk. I’m not sure how many pieces will have to move in and out but you can make it work for say a billion dollars. This isn’t just this year. This is next year as well. And if no vaccine, another year. I’ve heard of at least one league that will contract with a testing company for the NHL and for the public to provide testing. Free testing for the public has increased a lot in the last few days. At my hospital, you can get results back in 15 minutes. Hundreds if not more in a few hours. So you could easily test everyone every day.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Sounds like real progress being made. 24 teams. Need to figure out what to do with the bottom play in teams as well as the top teams. Can’t have the bottom play in teams playing all out and then play a top team that’s done nothing for the first round. I think you have to have it so teams like ours plays the caps for first place etc while bubble teams play to get in.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

TB87

May 30, 2018
If it’s a closed system and everyone is negative going into it then there’s 0 risk. I’m not sure how many pieces will have to move in and out but you can make it work for say a billion dollars. This isn’t just this year. This is next year as well. And if no vaccine, another year. I’ve heard of at least one league that will contract with a testing company for the NHL and for the public to provide testing. Free testing for the public has increased a lot in the last few days. At my hospital, you can get results back in 15 minutes. Hundreds if not more in a few hours. So you could easily test everyone every day.

It was assumed that there was zero risk with Bundesliga resuming play under those conditions and two players tested positive after the first weekend of play. Draconian measures of isolation will have to be enforced constantly because people are understandably going to want to break protocol eventually (cabin fever).

Considering this is the NHL we’re talking about, there is every reason to believe That they will botch the hell out of this if play is resumed.

I admire your optimism I just can’t share it at this moment in time.

TB87

May 30, 2018
It all comes down to testing capability and isolation.

They would need to be able to ensure everyone is starting the season negative and then be able to test regularly and isolate from outsiders as much as possible. I don't know how they'd make that work with players having families and what not, but that's for them to figure out.

Isolation measures will need to be enforced regularly and vigorously. Human nature will eventually win out and someone (or multiple someone’s) will break isolation protocol.

Which sucks of course but it wouldn’t surprise me one bit.

Reactions: DancingPanther

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Isolation measures will need to be enforced regularly and vigorously. Human nature will eventually win out and someone (or multiple someone’s) will break isolation protocol.

Which sucks of course but it wouldn’t surprise me one bit.

Yeah I agree. It's also asking a lot of the players and their families to isolate to the degree that would be necessary.

Reactions: DancingPanther

TB87

May 30, 2018
Yeah I agree. It's also asking a lot of the players and their families to isolate to the degree that would be necessary.

Yep. That extends to broadcast crews, rink crews, coach’s, equipment staff, training staff, locker room attendants, refs, score keepers, etc.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It was assumed that there was zero risk with Bundesliga resuming play under those conditions and two players tested positive after the first weekend of play.

That was never the assumption.

The two positive tests happened in the second division before play resumed.

Coronavirus: Bundesliga 2 side Dynamo Dresden players test positive, return delayed

NHL players, coaches and staff aren't going to stay locked in their homes all summer if the season is canceled, so there's no zero risk option.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Bold to call 0 risk

Also bold to assume all personnel therein will remained quarantined in their own bubbles, shut out truly from the outside

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Sounds like real progress being made. 24 teams. Need to figure out what to do with the bottom play in teams as well as the top teams. Can’t have the bottom play in teams playing all out and then play a top team that’s done nothing for the first round. I think you have to have it so teams like ours plays the caps for first place etc while bubble teams play to get in.
You could have bubble teams play 1 game to get in and the other playoff teams play an exhibition game against each other.
That way all teams would have played one game before the first round.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Bold to call 0 risk

Also bold to assume all personnel therein will remained quarantined in their own bubbles, shut out truly from the outside

True but as Curu said, they will also have a hard time staying in all summer as well. So the risk is certainly not 0 if they cancel the season. You have to assume that things will be well isolated. No ones wants to be that guy. And no one wants to have a bad illness for a few weeks if not worse.

You could have bubble teams play 1 game to get in and the other playoff teams play an exhibition game against each other.
That way all teams would have played one game before the first round.

From what I heard they want a mini playoff round to play in and are debating 3 vs 5 games. Then what to do with all the other teams who are just sitting around for months. I wouldn’t want a 5 game series vs the caps just to get seeding for the playoffs.

Reactions: orangey

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Yep. That extends to broadcast crews, rink crews, coach’s, equipment staff, training staff, locker room attendants, refs, score keepers, etc.

(I'm just piggy backing off your comment Ted this isn't directed at you)

And the people cooking and delivering food, cleaning hotel rooms, driving team transport, driving family transport, doing everyone's laundry etc etc

Even if it were possible to create a totally closed loop it would only be possible by violating people's civil liberties.

Do we really want hockey so badly that we are willing to ask players to meet a standard of isolation we aren't willing to meet ourselves?

If a player decides they don't want to play in those circumstances could you blame them? Would the NHL still pay those players? I'm sure nothing in their contracts states they would have to play in such circumstances.

Reactions: Rebels57

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
(I'm just piggy backing off your comment Ted this isn't directed at you)

And the people cooking and delivering food, cleaning hotel rooms, driving team transport, driving family transport, doing everyone's laundry etc etc

Even if it were possible to create a totally closed loop it would only be possible by violating people's civil liberties.

Do we really want hockey so badly that we are willing to ask players to meet a standard of isolation we aren't willing to meet ourselves?

If a player decides they don't want to play in those circumstances could you blame them? Would the NHL still pay those players? I'm sure nothing in their contracts states they would have to play in such circumstances.

A few Premier League playera have refused to come back to training today as teams restarted.

Troy Deeney from Watford is one. Has a 5 month old son who has breathing issues and at risk so he says he will not as it makes no sense for him to even increase sons risk marginally.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
A few Premier League playera have refused to come back to training today as teams restarted.

Troy Deeney from Watford is one. Has a 5 month old son who has breathing issues and at risk so he says he will not as it makes no sense for him to even increase sons risk marginally.

How dare these people put their families health and well being in front of my entertainment. Don't they know how much i pay for cable TV? They should be more than happy to stay in isolation, away from their families and loved ones for a month or two so that I can get my fix of entertainment.

Or at least, that's what i believe the mentality is for "that side".

Also, Troy Deeney gets to do whatever he wants. Nobody is ordering that BMF around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->