Miscellaneous NHL Talk XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Oh OK, I don't know the specifics of Reilly's college situation, and how long he's been studying for.

Well, it could apply, though it wouldn't make much sense for Reilly to take a course of action that would make it apply since that would mean he'd become a UFA after July 1st and that means less earning potential since teams will be filling up their rosters by then.

EDIT: I'll actually revise the above, and say that "b)" could be taken, but it won't make a difference for the purposes of this discussion. He'll still become a UFA before the market opens on July 1st. For example, he finishes his season in April, files the paperwork to leave school on May 15th, then becomes a UFA on June 15th.

Last edited:

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
EDIT: I'll actually revise the above, and say that "b)" could be taken, but it won't make a difference for the purposes of this discussion. He'll still become a UFA before the market opens on July 1st. For example, he finishes his season in April, files the paperwork to leave school on May 15th, then becomes a UFA on June 15th.
Yeah, that's right. The August 15, 2016 date would come into play if he quit/finished his studies on or after January 1, 2016.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I was under the impression they made it harder to be considered a "drop-out" without signing a professional contract. I probably read that on here so it may not be 100% accurate, but the Justin Schultz situation is brought up a lot around here.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I was under the impression they made it harder to be considered a "drop-out" without signing a professional contract. I probably read that on here so it may not be 100% accurate, but the Justin Schultz situation is brought up a lot around here.

Yeah, I think I remember reading during CBA negotiations that they may be trying to do that, too, but from what I understand, ultimately the only difference is the "30 day" part which doesn't appear to materially change anything.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Well, the Preds have become a totally unlikable team this summer. Ribeiro+Neal?

I'd hope they finish in the basement, but that would actually be good for them. So I hope they're stuck in mediocrity for the next decade.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Well Colin Wilson looks like he has no room in Nashville. Only has one year left at 2m, so he could be a decent option to look at. We still need a bottom six center and a bottom six winger if you don't want Rinaldo in the lineup. I'd take him if he comes cheap.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Wow, they really went dumpster diving. Ribeiro with a ton of personal issues and Roy is too slow and crappy in the NHL of late. Nashville is the new Florida, where they pick up a ton of random people for cheap, seeing if they can find their game again.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Roy is terrible. Look up what button had to say about him a little while ago when someone asked about the 2c being open in Edmonton. He wouldnt go near him. He is a terrible player now. Very slow and worn down

Edit: on the phone can't link

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I get what you're saying, but I wouldn't be surprised if Vinny produces at a similar rate as Ribeiro and Roy combined.

Ok, maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but also, maybe not.

it was a sarcastic jab at the Vinny contract
health is going to be a major concern going forward with Lecavalier. there is very little risk with signing those 2 guys to 1 year 1 million dollar deals. they chose to go that route instead of giving up an asset for a more expensive player on a long term deal with health concerns. I really don't blame Nashville for doing what they are doing. I wouldn't give up an asset for Lecavalier either.

kyuss

Wings make our ding-dings sing.
May 28, 2012
There's roughly 1.8m in cap space left if Pronger is LTIR'd before opening day. It would be possible with some creative recalls/reassignments.

Or trade them Rosehill/Rinaldo + picks/prospects. I don't think we have what it takes to make a trade there.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
They need that space to add waiver exempt players like Hagg and Straka who can then be demoted to give the team some breathing room. This roster gets within $30K of maximizing the LTIR upper limit.

FORWARDS
Brayden Schenn ($2.500m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Matt Read ($3.625m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
R.J. Umberger ($4.600m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Jason Akeson ($0.575m)
Jay Rosehill ($0.675m) / Michael Raffl ($1.100m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m)
Petr Straka ($0.925m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($2.000m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m) / Mark Streit ($5.250m)
Andrew MacDonald ($5.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Nick Schultz ($1.250m) / Chris Pronger ($4.941m)
Robert Hagg ($0.925m) /
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.100m)
Ray Emery ($1.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$345,000
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $73,911,429; BONUSES: $1,500,000
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): -$4,911,429

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
it was a sarcastic jab at the Vinny contract
health is going to be a major concern going forward with Lecavalier. there is very little risk with signing those 2 guys to 1 year 1 million dollar deals. they chose to go that route instead of giving up an asset for a more expensive player on a long term deal with health concerns. I really don't blame Nashville for doing what they are doing. I wouldn't give up an asset for Lecavalier either.

Oh for sure. Like I said, I get what you meant at taking a shot at the Vinny contract. They have no long term commitment like we are currently facing. I just think Vinny is head and shoulders a better player now and going forward, just with no real fit in the lineup.

kyuss

Wings make our ding-dings sing.
May 28, 2012
They need that space to add waiver exempt players like Hagg and Straka who can then be demoted to give the team some breathing room.

I'm getting cap confused again. How much money do they have? My understanding was that they could be over the cap by Pronger's hit on day one, yet 10% over until then. Are you saying they just need breathing room for a call-up?

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I thought that with two-way contracts that you can be sent down and brought up with no waiver issues? Plus, I'm sure that Laughton would fit into the waiver exempt status wouldn't he? I could see Rosehill being sent down (or waived) and no one caring to pick him up.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Oh for sure. Like I said, I get what you meant at taking a shot at the Vinny contract. They have no long term commitment like we are currently facing. I just think Vinny is head and shoulders a better player now and going forward, just with no real fit in the lineup.

Lecavalier is a better player then Ribiero or Roy. there is no denying that, but I don't blame Nashville for signing a couple of lesser vets on a 1 year deal then give up an asset for a contract like what Lecavalier has. There is very little risk in those signings they made today. We are just going to have to hope Vinnys body holds up. If it does they should be fine. But that is a huge IF going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad