Miscellaneous NHL Talk XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Haha, yeah, I figured it might have been a joke, but wasn't sure whether it's actually true and that that's why you mentioned it. I don't get this arbitration thing, either, though. I mean, he's damn good, and they're not winning any favours with him that way.
I guess, but what's the cap advantage?

Yeah, they're not really looking too good with this situation. They're not winning any favors with him and they're not winning any games without him.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Haha, yeah, I figured it might have been a joke, but wasn't sure whether it's actually true and that that's why you mentioned it. I don't get this arbitration thing, either, though. I mean, he's damn good, and they're not winning any favours with him that way.
I guess, but what's the cap advantage?

Hmm. I'd have to double check, but I think if he fails to achieve his bonus it doesn't count against the cap...next year? I think maybe next year? If they roll it over? I'm foggy on how bonuses work.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I *think* performance bonuses roll over to the following season in dead cap space. Thus why Boston has Iginla's bonus money affecting them.

I think that's how it works. Salary and cap hits are a lot more complicated then they were under the old CBA though.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I *think* performance bonuses roll over to the following season in dead cap space. Thus why Boston has Iginla's bonus money affecting them.

I think that's how it works. Salary and cap hits are a lot more complicated then they were under the old CBA though.
Whatever the total amount of bonus money he receives this year slides over to next year in dead space.
What do you mean by dead cap space? Sorry, but I've never looked into this before. Do you mean that the $1 mio. bonus will count against next year's cap?
Hmm. I'd have to double check, but I think if he fails to achieve his bonus it doesn't count against the cap...next year? I think maybe next year? If they roll it over? I'm foggy on how bonuses work.
Wouldn't it count towards this year's cap anyway? That was my thinking.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
What do you mean by dead cap space? Sorry, but I've never looked into this before. Do you mean that the $1 mio. bonus will count against next year's cap?
Wouldn't it count towards this year's cap anyway? That was my thinking.

My understanding is that the 1.5m base counts against this year's cap, no questions asked. Then the additional 1m counts against their 2015-16 cap only if they don't have room to cover it in 2014-15 (provided he actually unlocks his bonus(es) of course). The amount that they can't cover this year rolls over to 2015-16 in "dead space".

If they can afford to fit his bonus money in this year, then they won't have to worry about it again.

It's something to be considered regarding Timonen as well. I'd prefer if we didn't have to carry his bonus money with us into 2015-16, so it'd be nice if we could get some breathing room to get it all out of the way this year.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Cleary has $1M in potential performance bonuses this year, if he hits on all of them this upcoming year then the $1M will carry over to 2015-2016 overall cap number for Detriot making it dead cap space.

The Flyers are in a similar situation with Timonen this year & his $1.5M potential performance bonus.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
My understanding is that the 1.5m base counts against this year's cap, no questions asked. Then the additional 1m counts against their 2015-16 cap only if they don't have room to cover it in 2014-15 (provided he actually unlocks his bonus(es) of course). The amount that they can't cover this year rolls over to 2015-16 in "dead space".
Cleary has $1M in potential performance bonuses this year, if he hits on all of them this upcoming year then the $1M will carry over to 2015-2016 overall cap number for Detriot making it dead cap space.
OK, so if I understand correctly, you guys are in disagreement, correct? I could probably look this up myself, but don't really have the time to dig into it right now. Do you guys want to battle this out and clear the issue instead? :)

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
So I saw Cleary gets the extra $1 mio. as soon as he plays 10 games. What's the point of such low triggers? Does it offer any cap advantage or what? Surely it's not just to protect themselves from him being injured all season. Or was it really just about fulfilling the promise, and they don't intend to play him?
Seriously, though, he doesn't?

I think the Bruins did that last season with Iginla. I don't know exactly when the bonuses kicked in but they were really low games played numbers. Philly did the same thing with Timonen with the games played. doesn't he get 500k at 15 or 20 games?
Detroit doesn't seem to be a team that spends to the cap ceiling do they? so I don't think it will be an issue when it goes on their cap number for 15/16

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
I think the Bruins did that last season with Iginla. I don't know exactly when the bonuses kicked in but they were really low games played numbers. Philly did the same thing with Timonen with the games played. doesn't he get 500k at 15 or 20 games?
Detroit doesn't seem to be a team that spends to the cap ceiling do they? so I don't think it will be an issue when it goes on their cap number for 15/16

Kimmo gets 750k at 10 games + 250k at 20 games + 250k at 30 games + 250 000 at 60 games. 1.5m in bonuses and possible cap hit next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino