Miscellaneous NHL Talk XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Draft & develop quality forwards in the first place so you don't have to fill important holes with reclamation projects, has beens, bad fits, etc. He's been there for a while now so it's not like he walked into this problem.
Imagine if Poile and Holmgren were one person. It would either be the greatest GM in the league or the very worst. :laugh:

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Draft & develop quality forwards in the first place so you don't have to fill important holes with reclamation projects, has beens, bad fits, etc. He's been there for a while now so it's not like he walked into this problem.
For sure, I meant this season, though. Maybe Arvidsson is their solution :)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Imagine if Poile and Holmgren were one person. It would either be the greatest GM in the league or the very worst. :laugh:

I honestly think Nashville misses the playoffs again this year & Poile's "promoted". Their assistant GM Paul Fenton has been getting interest these past few years so they have a potential replacement already in the organization.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'd be shocked if they don't miss the playoffs again, their offense is still terrible. Neal won't be even half as good as he was in Pitt now that he's not with Malkin and none of the other additions will make a big impact.

kyuss

Wings make our ding-dings sing.
May 28, 2012
I honestly think Nashville misses the playoffs again this year & Poile's "promoted" aka fired. Their assistant GM Paul Fenton has been getting interest these past few years so they have a potential replacement already in the organization.

It seems like that club is waiting for a bus that'll never come. Ribiero and Roy are little risk maybe reward guys. With those one year contracts, the best Poile can hope for is to trade them at the deadline, but if they do well, it might pull the Preds out of the basement and McDavid contention. I don't understand why they matched the Weber O.S. just make these nonsense moves. They need to make a big hockey trade or throw a full tank if they want to contend.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It seems like that club is waiting for a bus that'll never come. Ribiero and Roy are little risk maybe reward guys. With those one year contracts, the best Poile can hope for is to trade them at the deadline, but if they do well, it might pull the Preds out of the basement and McDavid contention. I don't understand why they matched the Weber O.S. just make these nonsense moves. They need to make a big hockey trade or throw a full tank if they want to contend.

I don't think very highly of Poile personally. I think he's in the bottom third of the league when it comes to GM's.

I'm just glad by the time the World Cup & possibly next Olympics come around he shouldn't be around with big role in hockey anymore because the choices made the past year for Team USA were horrific under watch.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I don't think very highly of Poile personally. I think he's in the bottom third of the league when it comes to GM's.

I'm just glad by the time the World Cup & possibly next Olympics come around he shouldn't be around with big role in hockey anymore because the choices made the past year for Team USA were horrific under watch.

Poile will never be publicly forced out of any job. He's still old school connected to the NHL through his dad. If anything, he'll get the Homer treatment and get demoted through promotion.

Polie's only real crtical mistake with the Olympic team was putting too much faith into Bylsma, which then insured that Orpik and Martin would get picked for the team. There's not much the Americans can do when you put their roster up against the Canadian one. It takes getting a little lucky and a coaching masterpiece to get by them. They didn't get either.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.

I agree about Team USA. Some crazy decisions made.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia

I'd agree with this. He's got a great track record with drafting and developing defensemen, but I fail to see what the longterm plan is in Nashville. It feels like they're just trying to stay afloat and stay relevant so they can build a decent market for themselves instead of trying to actually contend.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
I hope he bails on MTL. They're dicking him around hardcore.

Yeah they are, I would love to see him walk away from them, sheeiitt I'd like to see him in Orange and Black, the kid has grown on my over the years

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I would hate to be a beat writer for the Flyers right now, your twitter feed is going to get flooded by a bunch of morons asking about an OS or trades in regards to Subban.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Their treatment of Subban is nuts.

Unless he's asking for 8 x 9 or something.

Gotta agree

He signed the bridge deal they wanted ,, And took off from there

He is face of franchise and future of franchise (Carey Price is a bit overrated if you ask me).

Time to pay man and make commitment. If Habs don't want to do that then they mine as well move him

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Gotta agree

He signed the bridge deal they wanted ,, And took off from there

He is face of franchise and future of franchise (Carey Price is a bit overrated if you ask me).

Time to pay man and make commitment. If Habs don't want to do that then they mine as well move him

Yeah. That's what gets me.

I mean...Montreal wanted that bridge deal, right? Because from their perspective they shoulda locked him up for cheap. The bridge deal makes more sense for Subban to get paid more now.

But if that first contract was supposed to be a great victory for Montreal, well, time to give Subban his due...suck it up, quality dmen are rare.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
So I saw Cleary gets the extra $1 mio. as soon as he plays 10 games. What's the point of such low triggers? Does it offer any cap advantage or what? Surely it's not just to protect themselves from him being injured all season. Or was it really just about fulfilling the promise, and they don't intend to play him?
It's probably because he doesn't speak French.
Seriously, though, he doesn't?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
So I saw Cleary gets the extra $1 mio. as soon as he plays 10 games. What's the point of such low triggers? Does it offer any cap advantage or what? Surely it's not just to protect themselves from him being injured all season. Or was it really just about fulfilling the promise, and they don't intend to play him?

If this is it, it shoulda been like 30 or 40 games. Sure, he might surprise in camp and preseason. But then maybe he falls flat from game 11 on. :laugh:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

I have no clue, pulled that out of my ass. :laugh:

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I have no clue, pulled that out of my ass. :laugh:
Haha, yeah, I figured it might have been a joke, but wasn't sure whether it's actually true and that that's why you mentioned it. I don't get this arbitration thing, either, though. I mean, he's damn good, and they're not winning any favours with him that way.
If this is it, it shoulda been like 30 or 40 games. Sure, he might surprise in camp and preseason. But then maybe he falls flat from game 11 on. :laugh:
I guess, but what's the cap advantage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino