Miscellaneous NHL Talk XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
I thought that with two-way contracts that you can be sent down and brought up with no waiver issues? Plus, I'm sure that Laughton would fit into the waiver exempt status wouldn't he? I could see Rosehill being sent down (or waived) and no one caring to pick him up.

In NHL 14, yes. That doesn't apply in real life. The only difference is you make two different salaries.

Laughton should fit into waiver exemptions as he has only had one short stint with the NHL club and is only 20. Akeson, however, would not as he is 24 and has been up a couple times.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Roy is barely even an NHL level player anymore. He was that bad last year. Ribiero would have gotten more money if he wasn't such a ***** and there weren't rumors floating around about off ice issues. Nashville went cheap like they always do at forward.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Roy is barely even an NHL level player anymore. He was that bad last year. Ribiero would have gotten more money if he wasn't such a ***** and there weren't rumors floating around about off ice issues. Nashville went cheap like they always do at forward.

instead of giving up an asset to a player on a long term deal with a ton of risk? I don't blame Nashville at all. I wouldn't give up an asset for Lecavalier either.

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
Well, the Preds have become a totally unlikable team this summer. Ribeiro+Neal?

I'd hope they finish in the basement, but that would actually be good for them. So I hope they're stuck in mediocrity for the next decade.

Good thing the Preds are in the west...Flyers don't see them much(twice I think) and good riddance to dirty Neal.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'm getting cap confused again. How much money do they have? My understanding was that they could be over the cap by Pronger's hit on day one, yet 10% over until then. Are you saying they just need breathing room for a call-up?

I am going to try and rewrite this capgeek explanation of what Detroit did last year to match what I think the Flyers will do this year.

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-does-long-term-injured-reserve-LTIR-work

The Philadelphia Flyers followed Option 2. The upper limit was $69M and the Flyers’ Averaged Club Salary or cap payroll on the final day of training camp was $72,061,429, including one injured player, Chris Pronger ($4,941,429 cap hit).

Rather than simply place Pronger on LTIR, a move that would have left them with no cap space and a new upper limit of $72,061,429, they recalled Petr Straka ($925K) and Robert Hagg ($925K), two players with an aggregate Averaged Amount totalling $1,850,000.

That increased their Averaged Club Salary to $73,911,429 — $4,911,429 above the upper limit or almost exactly Pronger's cap hit of $4,941,429. Only then did they place Pronger on LTIR, leaving the Flyers with an upper limit to $73,911,429 for the duration of the LTIR designations.

The Flyers demoted Straka and Hagg the next day, bringing their Averaged Club Salary back down to $72,061,429, while leaving them with the flexibility to add $1,850,000 in Averaged Amounts, space created by the one-day recall of Straka and Hagg.

Last edited:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
instead of giving up an asset to a player on a long term deal with a ton of risk? I don't blame Nashville at all. I wouldn't give up an asset for Lecavalier either.

Plus keep in mind that Fisher will return at some point – probably for next season – for them. They don't need a permanent solution.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Kabanov on waivers.

Would he be worth picking up? He's still young and a LW. Played well for MODO. Have not seen him play, just asking those who might have. Seems like a low risk. Plus, our scouts have seen him watching Hagg.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

It wasn't about Lecavalier, but whatever. And a team that's got 20 players signed with still nearly 12 million in cap space is worried about Vinny's deal? That's rich. Vinny may not be the answer for them, but it's moves like the ones they made today that will keep Nashville rotting in mediocrity for a long time. They're pissing away the prime of the best defenseman in the league. Just two upper echelon forwards to go with their defense and goaltending would make them an elite team.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
In NHL 14, yes. That doesn't apply in real life. The only difference is you make two different salaries.

Laughton should fit into waiver exemptions as he has only had one short stint with the NHL club and is only 20. Akeson, however, would not as he is 24 and has been up a couple times.

EA has done a large disservice to NHL fans by convincing hordes of people their fiction about 2-way contracts is how they actually work.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Yeah it's game based, even AHL games are taken into account. It's basically towards the end of your ELC when you start having to worry about it. Capgeek has a calculator you can use to determine whether a player is or not.

http://www.capgeek.com/waiver-calculator/

Akeson, Lauridsen, & Manning will all have to clear waivers to get sent back down if they don't make the big club.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
It wasn't about Lecavalier, but whatever. And a team that's got 20 players signed with still nearly 12 million in cap space is worried about Vinny's deal? That's rich. Vinny may not be the answer for them, but it's moves like the ones they made today that will keep Nashville rotting in mediocrity for a long time. They're pissing away the prime of the best defenseman in the league. Just two upper echelon forwards to go with their defense and goaltending would make them an elite team.

so because they have 12 million in space they should just say **** it and take on Lecavaliers contract? That makes zero sense.
Maybe they tried to sign some of the top FA forwards. We don't know that. Didn't they try and trade for Spezza and Spezza nixed it? I never suggested that Nashville's way of building a roster is the right way but I don't blame them for not wanting to take on Lecavalier's contract. He has legit health concerns and still has 4 years left. If he has a year or 2 left and was on the trade block he is likely elsewhere.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah it's game based, even AHL games are taken into account. It's basically towards the end of your ELC when you start having to worry about it. Capgeek has a calculator you can use to determine whether a player is or not.

Akeson, Lauridsen, & Manning will all have to clear waivers to get sent back down if they don't make the big club.

I haven't seen CBA tweaks to the process; but as I recall AHL games are worth less than NHL games.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

probably safe to say Manning(if he accepts his QO) and Lauridsen would easily clear waivers.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Kabanov on waivers.

Would he be worth picking up? He's still young and a LW. Played well for MODO. Have not seen him play, just asking those who might have. Seems like a low risk. Plus, our scouts have seen him watching Hagg.

He has some talent but doesn't have the head nor work ethic to succeed in the NHL also has made some trouble at certain stops in his career this far. He's pretty much your stereotypical Russian.

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
Lecavalier is a better player then Ribiero or Roy. there is no denying that, but I don't blame Nashville for signing a couple of lesser vets on a 1 year deal then give up an asset for a contract like what Lecavalier has. There is very little risk in those signings they made today. We are just going to have to hope Vinnys body holds up. If it does they should be fine. But that is a huge IF going forward.

I think Ribeiro is better than Vinny, Roy I'll give you.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
How is he barely even an NHL level player anymore, when he put up 37 points last year? I'd say at his cap hit, he's a steal.

Same with Ribeiro. I don't know what his off-ice issues were, and I've seen him spitting people, so I do think he's piece of ****, but as far as his on-ice performance goes, he's worth way more than what he's going to be getting next year.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Think I'd get an infraction for posting a picture of Giordano in the "Flame Free O'Reilly Thread" on the trade board? I'm so tempted...

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
How is he barely even an NHL level player anymore, when he put up 37 points last year? I'd say at his cap hit, he's a steal.

Same with Ribeiro. I don't know what his off-ice issues were, and I've seen him spitting people, so I do think he's piece of ****, but as far as his on-ice performance goes, he's worth way more than what he's going to be getting next year.

I don't know if I would say he's barely an NHL player but he's not very good & has been pretty injury prone of late. It's a low risk in terms of the contract & money but I wouldn't really expect a whole lot out of Roy this year. He's just another run of the mill center added to the collection.

The OP never said Ribeiro wasn't good however he wasn't nearly as good of a player without Ovechkin & Backstrom last year. Phoenix lacked offensive fire power (which a case could be made for Nashville being in a similar situation) plus he had off the ice issues which led to his departure. It's another low cost move in terms of contract & money but I do think this one has more upside if Ribeiro can get his head on straight & develop some chemistry with players there.

Poile's on the hotseat so these moves do have some impact on his job even if the contracts aren't risky. If neither pans out it's just another year of Weber's prime wasted because of their inability to surround him with a good group upfront.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I don't know if I would say he's barely an NHL player but he's not very good & has been pretty injury prone of late. It's a low risk in terms of the contract & money but I wouldn't really expect a whole lot out of Roy this year. He's just another run of the mill center added to the collection.
Yeah, sure, I don't think he'll dazzle, either, but I think he's more than just a fourth-line guy, which is something he'll be paid for.
Poile's on the hotseat so these moves do have some impact on his job even if the contracts aren't risky. If neither pans out it's just another year of Weber's prime wasted because of their inability to surround him with a good group upfront.
Yeah, I guess, but what other options did he have?

Also, watching the NLA finals I can't believe Vandermeer had a somewhat sustained NHL career. Either he has really regressed or there are at least 30 better defensemen in NLA alone. And I'm really looking forward to how Lombardi will do now that he's back with the Rangers. I always liked the guy, and maybe he got his mojo back this past year.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, sure, I don't think he'll dazzle, either, but I think he's more than just a fourth-line guy, which is something he'll be paid for.

It's not like there's higher quality in front of him on the depth chart. Poile's throwing **** up against the wall here & hoping at least something sticks with these moves.

Yeah, I guess, but what other options did he have?

Draft & develop quality forwards in the first place so you don't have to fill important holes with reclamation projects, has beens, bad fits, etc. He's been there for a while now so it's not like he walked into this problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad