Miscellaneous NHL Talk V10.0 - 2018/19 Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Another thing Tampa does: They trade their first rounders. Six of their past eight first-round picks have been traded. Part of that is the luxury of being able to move talented guys because they get stars like Kucherov or Point after the first, but also they're able to recognize when players' perceived value is greater than what they'll provide in Tampa.

Almost all of those picks are decent players too, but they haven't gotten burned on any of the deals (Drouin for Sergachev is debatable).

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Where did the Ducks go wrong with their development?

They're a team, like the Flyers, that built a good young defense corps, so it might be instructive. They have Fowler, Montour, Manson, Lindholm, who are all good. They drafted Theodore. Larsson isn't spectacular but he's playing at least.

Their drafts aren't too bad. They got Kase in the 7th round. They got a nice top-6 center in Rakell with a late first rounder. They've come up with two terrific goalies in the past 8 years (Gibson and Andersen).

Vatanen for Henrique seems like a reasonable trade. Bobby Ryan trade worked out fine for them (Silfverberg and Ritchie).

To me it looks like the problems are 1. Carlyle is behind the curve 2. Kesler and Perry turned into pumpkins at age 33. 3. There's never been a high profile FA acquisition.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015

They're a team, like the Flyers, that built a good young defense corps, so it might be instructive. They have Fowler, Montour, Manson, Lindholm, who are all good. They drafted Theodore. Larsson isn't spectacular but he's playing at least.

Their drafts aren't too bad. They got Kase in the 7th round. They got a nice top-6 center in Rakell with a late first rounder. They've come up with two terrific goalies in the past 8 years (Gibson and Andersen).

Vatanen for Henrique seems like a reasonable trade. Bobby Ryan trade worked out fine for them (Silfverberg and Ritchie).

To me it looks like the problems are 1. Carlyle is behind the curve 2. Kesler and Perry turned into pumpkins at age 33. 3. There's never been a high profile FA acquisition.
They have Randy DINOSAUR Carlyle. Simple.

Reactions: kelmitchell

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
He will turn it around at some point. They too have 9 days off coming up so maybe that's the break he needs to clear his head, have some hard practices, and start playing to potential.

But the Leafs will keep Kapanen as insurance this year for sure, imo. He is too cheap compared to production.
He’s cheap for now. He’s an RFA though. They’ve got even more important RFA and UFA to deal with.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016

I would say number one reason is getzlaf and Perry no longer playing at superstar level. Ever since they won the cup all their teams were basically carried by two of them and selanne.
Ducks were fortunate those two peaked during their internal cap era and we're still able to propel them into playoffs.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Another thing Tampa does: They trade their first rounders. Six of their past eight first-round picks have been traded. Part of that is the luxury of being able to move talented guys because they get stars like Kucherov or Point after the first, but also they're able to recognize when players' perceived value is greater than what they'll provide in Tampa.

Almost all of those picks are decent players too, but they haven't gotten burned on any of the deals (Drouin for Sergachev is debatable).

Flyers may have that luxury soon with the way they're hitting on late round picks.

Laughton, Sanheim/Ghost, even TK could potentially become available if Zamula, Kalynuk and Laczynski keep developing - not saying they should, but the potential is there.

More likely, after this year, with the flood of prospects, and if they keep hitting on late round picks, 1st and 2nd picks (in the 20+ and 50+ range) will have more value as trade bait and less as prospects. There's a big difference between a top 10 pick (uber athlete that's hard to obtain) and #20-25 (good prospect with flaws), you're not going to find uber athletes later in the draft (Myers is a fluke) but the Flyers are doing a great job of finding good prospects.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I think the Flames start slowing down in a bit. All those 3rd period come backs. Top line scoring at a rate that’s got to slow down. Not so great goalie. They peaked too early. They will struggle to finish the year and in the playoffs. Then will be expected to play well next year but will struggle, maybe miss the playoffs. Then start being good the year after.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
WpTfNoF.png

edit - ah, I didnt notice LorneMalvo mentioned it already

Reactions: Here4ThaList

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The transformation of the Islanders is pretty astounding. 1st in the Metro now.
Best defense in the entire league. Last season they were last in GA.

And all that after losing their franchise player. Looks like all they needed all those years was a good goach.

there is a reason why Mitch Korn is the best goalie coach in the league. He took to average goaltenders and turned them into well above average goaltenders.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Lol that’s awesome. I pulled that article up. Fantasy sit or start robots pick Halak to start on offense over Nylander.

I think he will be fine. He sat out so long that it will take some time. But if he’s a buy low target or it increases the chance Kapanen is out I’m all for it.
With all of the cash that Matthews and Marner are going to get, its pretty obvious that Kapanen or Nylander is going to have to change addresses. Someone floated the idea that Kadri might be the guy out but I doubt that.
Simmonds and another defenseman are the things that the Leafs need to be serious about winning the SC this year. The Flyers have what Toronto needs but its going to cost. Babcock is smart enough to know that a shot at the SC only comes so often. When its within reach, you have to pay the price. We'll see if the Leaf's FO understands that.

Reactions: TheKingPin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
WpTfNoF.png

edit - ah, I didnt notice LorneMalvo mentioned it already

Let's see him sustain it.
Hakstol's Flyers had 98 points last year and made the playoffs.
And Trotz has first rate goalies, not Elliott and a cast of castoffs. And a PDO of 102.2.

I'd point out that until he won the Cup last year with a very talented team Trotz had never gotten past the 2nd rd of the playoffs with very talented teams in Nashville and Washington.
Lost in the 1st rd 5 times in Nashville, 2nd rd twice, lost in the 2nd rd three straight seasons with the Caps, including two teams that posted 120 and 118 point seasons.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
W.Nylander is getting just raked over the coals.

was 9th in icetime for forwards tonight. Benched for awhile. Demoted to the 4th line. -3 in a 3-1 loss.

Then also an article comes out about him still not passing Halak in points on the season.
I hate Leafs (their fans) and this makes me happy.:)

Reactions: Hakroach

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lehner was available b/c he had some serious personal issues, posted .924 as a backup and .920 as a starter with Buffalo before last season.

Griesse was hurt by Weight's system last year, the two years before he had a .925 and .913 with the Islanders.

So both were solid goalies. Trotz helped them by installing a conservative defensive scheme after Weight's "we don't play no stinking defense" - but it's not like they didn't have a solid track record with a normal defense.

Hakstol's system was very goalie friendly, Flyers were among the leaders in suppressing scoring chances - the complaints here were about the offensive system and player usage.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
With all of the cash that Matthews and Marner are going to get, its pretty obvious that Kapanen or Nylander is going to have to change addresses. Someone floated the idea that Kadri might be the guy out but I doubt that.
Simmonds and another defenseman are the things that the Leafs need to be serious about winning the SC this year. The Flyers have what Toronto needs but its going to cost. Babcock is smart enough to know that a shot at the SC only comes so often. When its within reach, you have to pay the price. We'll see if the Leaf's FO understands that.
I’m going to be über happy when the Leafs best team ever and ever plan the parade now team starts to crumble because they can’t afford all those good players, right after their second round collapse because that rat JT’s playoff experience wasn’t enough, and they run into either Boston or Tampa which whom both have Toronto’s number, this, Hackstool getting fired, and a Flyers top 3 pick would make this year way better

Reactions: BernieParent

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

Yea I haven’t put all the numbers down myself but it seems like they are at least going to be tight if not in trouble. Marner and Matthews have every right to ask for 12 mill each. They both won’t get it but it’s a hell of a starting point in talks. I think Marner said he’s not talking about it until after the season. That’s bad news. I thought Nylander got a fair payday that Toronto obviously didn’t want to give him. That’s bad news. This year they have millions extra to work with so they should be going for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad