Miscellaneous NHL Talk V10.0 - 2018/19 Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Don't think he's a reach at the Laberge spot. Pretty sure half the people in the thread were calling for him to be the pick at the time.

The poster I replied to spent the entirety of draft night 1 in 2017 screaming up and down that Frost was an off the board pick and thus horrible because of McKenzie/scouting service rankings. DeBrincat was largely in the 30s+, same as Frost.

Neither was a reach, as once you get beyond a tier that usually ends in the teens, it's personal preference.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
From The Athletic, Cooper on rookie defenseman Erik Cernak:

“If there’s a surprise, it’s that he’s getting better,” Cooper said. “You sit and say, ‘OK, this kid is going to play in the NHL, it’s a matter of when. But there’s still some development to do.’ But he’s stepped right in, played with (McDonagh). … The one thing that he has done is he can handle the big boys. He can skate with the big boys. That’s the one thing that maybe we didn’t give him enough credit for until you see him do it.
“There’s nobody in the league we’ve seen yet that he hasn’t been able to handle physically. I’m not saying he’s going to win that battle, but at least it’s 50-50. And that’s good on a team that doesn’t have a lot of big guys.”

Noteworthy that Tampa plays a kid that they're not even sure can handle the big boys, someone they believe needs development, but they know he gives the team much-needed physicality.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Which you would have killed them for taking at the time because he would have been considered a reach. Same as Frost. Sure feels like a time to learn a lesson.
Revisionist history. At 22 yes, at 35 he wouldn't have been a reach at all nor would I have complained. I'm not even complaining now, I realize hindsight is 20/20. I'm just saying it sucks that they could have had him. Thanks for playing.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Me too. Not picking Bellows was really disappointing at the time.

At least people learned their lesson clamoring for a one dimensional goal scorer come draft time.

YZHYb.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So again, all the problems go back to Hakstol. THAT is what Hextall deserves to be crucified for. THAT is where he failed.

It goes back to Hextall, because whoever Hakstol put out there, y'all would have hated.
Because they all sucked. And I might point out, other than Weise and Lehtera, are all gone, and those two are headed out the door.

And I don't blame Hextall for not spending assets he didn't have, I blame him for not admitting he was rebuilding and committing to it, instead of trying to be competitive and stretching out the rebuild for another season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Rubtsov and Laberge weren't bad picks, just bad luck, there is a difference.
We saw this year that a healthy Rubtsov is potentially a top 9, maybe a top 6 forward.
Hopefully, Laberge will actually get on the ice next year, that kid is freakin' snakebite.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So he can play for the league's best team, but Myers can't play for the league's 28th best team.

Their organizational philosophy has a lot to do with where they are in the standings and ours has a lot to do with where we are.

It's so f***ing aggravating.

Reactions: DaphneLion

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It goes back to Hextall, because whoever Hakstol put out there, y'all would have hated.
Because they all sucked. And I might point out, other than Weise and Lehtera, are all gone, and those two are headed out the door.

And I don't blame Hextall for not spending assets he didn't have, I blame him for not admitting he was rebuilding and committing to it, instead of trying to be competitive and stretching out the rebuild for another season.

Weird how animosity towards those same players has diminished a good deal now that they're being used in a far more sane manner instead of being given tons of high profile time to f*** up in.

Hakstol was an abysmal failure who made every single problem worse. Deal with it.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The frustrating thing is that we passed on Debrincat, TWICE. 28 goals last year and on pace for 40 this year.....ugghh.

So did everyone else. We also drafted Kevin Marshall ahead of PK Subban.
Scouting isn’t always an exact science.
On the flipside we found Myers and Zamula when everyone else didn’t see anything in either prospect

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016

Noteworthy that Tampa plays a kid that they're not even sure can handle the big boys, someone they believe needs development, but they know he gives the team much-needed physicality.
Playing alongside mcdonagh and in front of vasi? Just like all those great years girardi had in the same position lol.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

Nothing makes me want to drink bleach more than hearing something like that. All you can do is hope he is fired there and hired here, so that I can stop drinking bleach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad