Miscellaneous NHL Talk V10.0 - 2018/19 Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Yea I haven’t put all the numbers down myself but it seems like they are at least going to be tight if not in trouble. Marner and Matthews have every right to ask for 12 mill each. They both won’t get it but it’s a hell of a starting point in talks. I think Marner said he’s not talking about it until after the season. That’s bad news. I thought Nylander got a fair payday that Toronto obviously didn’t want to give him. That’s bad news. This year they have millions extra to work with so they should be going for it.
The story of the summer is going to be the Leafs cap mess. If they didn't sign Tavares at the price that they did, they probably wouldn't be facing the demands from Matthews and Marner that they are going to see. Matthews is, and should, ask for the same contract that the Leafs gave to Tavares. If the Leafs don't give it to him another team will offer sheet him and give it to him. Marner might be a slight cut below and only want $9M per but the same scenario applies to him as it does Matthews. If the Leafs want to keep these players they need to get at it before they can go on the market, RFA or not.
Actually this who scenario could apply to the Flyers in a year or two. They have a lot of young talent that is going to be looking for nice money. Why not offer sheet a Provorov, Konecny, Sanheim, etc. if the Flyers don't take care of business before these players get out into the market as RFAs. Smart people in business look at situations for market inefficiencies to exploit. The situation with RFAs is a big one in the NHL collective bargaining agreement. Nylander broke that open and now others will go through that door.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Really fun autograph return in the mail today...

Sent to Alex Wennberg in early September. Not only got my card back signed and personalized today, but also a really nice note of his own. Definitely one of my favorite returns I've gotten in my seven years of collecting.
20190119_140714.jpg

WestrnPhlyr

Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
Jul 17, 2015
NW Inland Empire

Sent to Alex Wennberg in early September. Not only got my card back signed and personalized today, but also a really nice note of his own. Definitely one of my favorite returns I've gotten in my seven years of collecting.
View attachment 177471
That's freaking awesome.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation

View attachment 177471
Do you just send stuff to players CO the team with the team's practice facility address?

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Do you just send stuff to players CO the team with the team's practice facility address?
Yeah, I send a card, handwritten letter, and self-addressed, stamped return envelope, usually c/o the arena address. The only exception is Flyers players, whom I send to c/o the Skate Zone in Voorhees. The Rangers and Caps are the only two teams who don't take fan mail as far as I'm aware, and the Red Wings charge a charity donation fee per player. When I first started sending back around 2012-13-14, the Flyers were definitely the best about returning; I sent to them the most and there were only three players I never got anything back from. It seems like they've gotten away from that some, though. The Caps were really good about it, too, so it's kinda a shame that they don't take mail anymore.

It's obviously a gamble, but it tends to work out more often than not. I try to research each player/team I'm planning to send so I can see if anyone else online has had success with them recently.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
For the record, Nick Schultz is the last Flyers player I heard back from, back around November 2014. It was the shortest turnaround I ever had; I got it back in six days. He probably didn't get a lot of fan mail :laugh:

Did he hand deliver it ... and then take a really, really long time to leave?

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
The story of the summer is going to be the Leafs cap mess. If they didn't sign Tavares at the price that they did, they probably wouldn't be facing the demands from Matthews and Marner that they are going to see. Matthews is, and should, ask for the same contract that the Leafs gave to Tavares. If the Leafs don't give it to him another team will offer sheet him and give it to him. Marner might be a slight cut below and only want $9M per but the same scenario applies to him as it does Matthews. If the Leafs want to keep these players they need to get at it before they can go on the market, RFA or not.
Actually this who scenario could apply to the Flyers in a year or two. They have a lot of young talent that is going to be looking for nice money. Why not offer sheet a Provorov, Konecny, Sanheim, etc. if the Flyers don't take care of business before these players get out into the market as RFAs. Smart people in business look at situations for market inefficiencies to exploit. The situation with RFAs is a big one in the NHL collective bargaining agreement. Nylander broke that open and now others will go through that door.
I think they should bridge them Kane toews style and try to win while their window is open. It would perfectly coincide with tavares prime too, kinda like it did with hossa for other two.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Gaudreau saying his diet is still not the best. After the game, likes to go back to the hotel for a pizza "pie".

Hextall would not be happy.
He is still young it's when he will approach 30s when it will have a bigger impact.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Yeah, I send a card, handwritten letter, and self-addressed, stamped return envelope, usually c/o the arena address. The only exception is Flyers players, whom I send to c/o the Skate Zone in Voorhees. The Rangers and Caps are the only two teams who don't take fan mail as far as I'm aware, and the Red Wings charge a charity donation fee per player. When I first started sending back around 2012-13-14, the Flyers were definitely the best about returning; I sent to them the most and there were only three players I never got anything back from. It seems like they've gotten away from that some, though. The Caps were really good about it, too, so it's kinda a shame that they don't take mail anymore.

It's obviously a gamble, but it tends to work out more often than not. I try to research each player/team I'm planning to send so I can see if anyone else online has had success with them recently.
Thanks buddy.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Parise has such an unexpected season given his age, back issues and playing style he might just win the masterton.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Should we have a separate thread for trade rumors?

I'm not sure on tie-breakers but I think Toronto would play Boston in the first round again if the season ended right now. This is definitely one of the best Leafs teams since the Gilmour days. They're 4-6 in their last 10, Nylander is not scoring and they're staring down a lot of big RFA contracts soon.

Fletcher really needs to capitalize on this and play up their issues in the Boston matchup. And play up the fact that Boston will be a bidder for Simmonds too. Hell, give them Hagg, too.

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
wow Rask got freighttrained

Sheeeesh, you ain't kiddin'!

Haven't checked on these forums but twitter is full of Bruins fans melting down like Chytil Peter Pan'd on purpose and threw in a chicken wing at the end for good measure. NESN with its normal egging on or just circling the wagons?

Anyway, some great stills:

Weird instinct from McAvoy, like he was trying to throw his opponent over the top rope.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Vegas-Pittsburgh is a remarkable contrast to Flyers games. It seems like the Flyers make more horizontal or drop passes in one period than these two teams make combined for an entire game.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Manning sighting. Cgy vs. Edm. Tell me if you've heard this before. Manning takes a penalty, this time an unecessary late hit in the neutral zone from a player dumping the puck in looking for a change, a bit blindside. Team on the PP scores approx 1:10 into the chance.

Edm went from 2 down, to 3 down. That was, not good.

Also, good to see the Knights taking the Pens out to the woodshed, always appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad